Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by MollyNYC
Good to know, thanks.

Since I live here, I don't stay in the hotels and visiting friends always ask for recommendations.

I've been to the rooftop bar at the Gansevoort a couple of times and while impressed with the view, I found the place disappointing. Spending $13.+ for a drink and not having anyone wipe down the table and no bar nibbles available just shows me that some people will happily overpay for substandard experiences to feel that they're part of the in-crowd.

I'm glad to hear that the concierge is good.

How are the rooms?
Yea - I used to live near the Gansevoort and was never a huge fan (not crazy about Ono)

But the hotel is one of the best.

Rooms are beautiful (though not big). One thing I like is that there are a couple of armchairs and a love seat, even in the smaller rooms - great if you are having people round. The best part however are the views over the hudson - and those beds.....
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Platunum
1/4MM@20,

I agree that Ono was a disapointment. Once was more than enough for me.

I have a friend from HK, a real 5 star guy who's always wanting the latest, greatest hotel experience and have hesitated to send him to Ganesvoort because of my experience in their bar & restaurant. So I appreciate knowing that their guest services are good and the rooms are nice.

Thanks again for the info.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
according to a post in this forum, Gramercy Park is the current favorite place for celeb parties. Departures also said they had surprisingly good / the best bath amenities.
Any idea which brand they use? The last time I stayed at a Schrager property (the Royalton), they had Kiehls products.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
Another one similiar to the Ganesvoort is 60 Thompson. Very cool decor, exclusive rooftop bar (can be accessed by guests and "VIPs" only) and is located in a very fun neighborhood in SoHo.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
FS and Pen for me. Have stayed at the MO several times - each time, overpriced and lousy service (at least in comparison to the FS or Pen). If I'm in Soho, it's the Mercer.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trump.
Book a 2 bedroom suite with CP view.
It is really a treat.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Trump.
Book a 2 bedroom suite with CP view.
It is really a treat.
Perhaps the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in in NYC. A trump 2 bedroom suite feels more like a home than a hotel room.

BTW, for those who care about the views, I think the views from the Trump are the best, better than the MO and the RC. At the Trump, you look directly over the park; at the MO you see the park only by looking around the Trump.

[BTW, it pains me to say such good things about anything associated with Trump. But this hotel is very un-Trump-like in that, unlike the man and most of his other projects, this place has real substance, not just glitz; in fact, I don't consider it glitzy at all.]
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
Perhaps the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in in NYC. A trump 2 bedroom suite feels more like a home than a hotel room.

BTW, for those who care about the views, I think the views from the Trump are the best, better than the MO and the RC. At the Trump, you look directly over the park; at the MO you see the park only by looking around the Trump.

[BTW, it pains me to say such good things about anything associated with Trump. But this hotel is very un-Trump-like in that, unlike the man and most of his other projects, this place has real substance, not just glitz; in fact, I don't consider it glitzy at all.]
I agree with everything you say. The suites are gorgeous, the staff are super friendly, the internet is free (finally a luxury hotel that gets it), and the view is the best in NYC that I know of. As for Mr. Trump, well, umm... anyway great hotel!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:01 pm

I've been happy with the FS, good location, excellent lobby for meeting people, good service. The new resturant was still closed during my last visit, but I have heard good things.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:30 pm

I'm a big fan of the Sheraton Manhattan. The grime in the corners of the non-renovated rooms and smell of mildew coming up through the radiator give the experience a little je ne sais quoi. I can't believe it only costs $500/ night to stay here!!

Just kidding -- I wish I were rich and/ or famous enough to stay in a high-end NYC property. I'm not even rich and/ or famous enough to stay in the Sherton, these days!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you can stay at boutiques for much less than starwood.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:57 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
The Mark ..farewell

Used to enjoy staying at The Mark (MO ) especially when it was still linked with Aman. Sadly, for me , it will close in a few days..perhaps if any of you're in NYC stop by for tea .. My NYC trip this month , was aborted.
Now need to find another boutique hotel preferably Upper East..West?
Perhaps FS..
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Used to enjoy staying at The Mark (MO ) especially when it was still linked with Aman. Sadly, for me , it will close in a few days..perhaps if any of you're in NYC stop by for tea .. My NYC trip this month , was aborted.
Perhaps FS..

If you want the Upper East Side try The Lowell
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Why are you limiting yourself to the more boring parts of the city?

Perhaps FS..
Not a boutique, but a great hotel, nonetheless. I think it's a much better hotel now that all the celebs have abandoned it for the MO.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Blumie
I think it's a much better hotel now that all the celebs have abandoned it for the MO.
These days if your objective is to avoid (meet) celebrities, then avoid (stay) at the Ritz Carlton Central Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.