Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

"new" MO HKG-- who will be the first on this board to stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:48 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G

With the re-opening of the MO HKG less than a week away -- the hotel website states 28 September -- just wondering who on this board will be the first to stay at the "new" grande dame? It looks quite nice!!

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/514000404.asp

I know it will most likely not be me -- if I go to HKG at all, it will be the first week of November and other hotels have caught my eye at the moment...
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I looked into it for a stay around the 14th of October, but the only room classes showing available were very small or very expensive (can't remember which specific classes were offered). After entering a few different dates into their site between 9/28 and 11/30 I couldn't get anything to show any availability. I'm wondering if they are delaying the opening?

For now I'm sticking with the LMO.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by luxury
-- if I go to HKG at all, it will be the first week of November and other hotels have caught my eye at the moment...
May I ask what other locations have "caught your eye"?

Regards
747LWW
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747LWW
May I ask what other locations have "caught your eye"?

Regards
747LWW
The above mentioned Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons (this is an obvious one for those who know me ) and the Peninsula. I like the Inter-Continental (former Regent) and am looking forward to returning as a Royal Ambassador...

I'd like to try the new old M-O eventually......
Old Sep 24, 2006, 2:18 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I am scheduled for a four-night stay there from October 4 - 8. They have always taken good care of me and given me nice upgrades (last year to their Presidential Suite). I will let you all know.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Mrs. Pickles is very upset at all of ya for having the audacity of staying there before she will, since she's not in HK these days and will not be there until mid-October.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Mrs. Pickles is very upset at all of ya for having the audacity of staying there before she will, since she's not in HK these days and will not be there until mid-October.
I must admit I actually did think that you, and/or Mrs. Pickles would be THE FIRST to stay, until now......
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by luxury
I must admit I actually did think that you, and/or Mrs. Pickles would be THE FIRST to stay, until now......
I can switch to the Four Seasons if it means that much to you all...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm planning on spending time at both the FS and the Grande Dame MO in December. I look forward to any trip reports from Iluv2fly or anyone else.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm planning on spending time at both the FS and the Grande Dame MO in December. I look forward to any trip reports from Iluv2fly or anyone else.

saw the facade when i was in HK 3 weeks ago and was a little underwhelmed ...the balconies are gone ....which will make the rooms slightly larger......but now the outside looks like an office building.

but still cant wait to see what has been done.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick
but now the outside looks like an office building.
Not really. Seen the Trump?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Last month, after my spa treatment at the wonderful spa at the LMO, I was lounging around the spa cafe and chatting it up with the spa manager. A most delightlful (and may I say attractive) Welsh lady, she informed me that the spa at the old MO will be Chinese themed, perhaps like the Chi spa at the SL BKK or Chuan spa at the Langham HKG.

OT: The spa experience at the LMO is sublime. The Heat Experience was most enjoyable.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Good luck to the ones who will be staying there the first few months... seems like they will only be opening the top 2 floors for guests, as those are the only rooms which are ready... but the suites which will also occupy the top floors aren't ready yet, and together with the ongoing contruction on the other floors, I can't even imagine how bad the noise level would be during the day...

However, I did manage to peak into the lobby and mezzanine floor, and the decor is quite nice.. ^
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was told that all work would be done by December. I think they have already sold out early December due to a huge convention in town. We'll see.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Light at the end of the tunnel...The Chinnery reopens.

I've posted a mini-review of the Chinnery on its first full day of opening here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604870

The Captain's Bar has also reopened; not sure about the other restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.