Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Considering Sedona/GC/Scottsdale trip, recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering Sedona/GC/Scottsdale trip, recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:57 pm

Please delete post!

Last edited by zigzag; Aug 5, 2007 at 10:59 pm Reason: this guy is not worth it, just delete my post. Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Sedona - Enchantment

*poof*

Last edited by Sam - DFW; Oct 30, 2007 at 8:32 pm
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by robyng

I have a few minor complaints - and they don't have anything to do with the renovations. The person who serviced our room was somewhat negligent. Took away the dirty stuff - like coffee cups - but never gave us clean ones. Today we were down to no coffee cups - no coffee - and 2 glasses. Had to call the front desk to get re-supplied. The in-house buttons on our phone didn't work - and it took from Wednesday to Saturday to get a new phone (in the meantime - I just called the hotel - and it took all the phone calls off our bill).
Wow, definitely not up to Four Seasons Scottsdale standards! Did you have a word with management?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:38 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
GF and I spent three days at Enchantment Resort in Sedona. Based on the information I received here at FT in multiple threads we chose Enchantment over the other options.

Sedona surpassed all of our expectations - it was amazing! We were blessed with unseasonably cool weather and intermittent rain that held back summer desert heat.

We hiked three mornings, all were enjoyable.

Enchantment was fantastic. It was very nice without being too stuffy. GF thought the same about the spa, noting that the spa was not too "cold" as is sometimes the case.

Three days was perfect - no more/no less. Then we went to Scottsdale to spend time with GF's parents.

PHX sucks - especially rental car return, but that's life. We dropped our bags for curbside check-in, then filled the car with gas at Circle K, then returned the car. That made it a little easier. Thankfully we arrived early because it was a mess.
We returned our rental car to the new rental car facility at PHX Sky Harbour - which I've been told opened only about 3 months ago - at about 8 this morning - and it was a piece of cake. No problems whatsoever. What problems did you encounter?

FWIW - although PHX has just about the worst rental car taxes in the world - I thought the rates for refilling the gas tank upon rental return were quite reasonable. No reason to waste time and refuel near the airport to save $1.50.

The one thing I can complain about is the airport. PHX is now the 5th largest metro area in the US. And the airport looks like a slum - not even as nice as our airport (JAX) - which isn't that nice. When I ordered a bagel toasted - the vending site - which was pretty pathetic looking - didn't have a toaster. Robyn
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:45 pm

We returned our rental car to the new rental car facility at PHX Sky Harbour - which I've been told opened only about 3 months ago - at about 8 this morning - and it was a piece of cake. No problems whatsoever. What problems did you encounter?

FWIW - although PHX has just about the worst rental car taxes in the world - I thought the rates for refilling the gas tank upon rental return were quite reasonable. No reason to waste time and refuel near the airport to save $1.50.

The one thing I can complain about is the airport. PHX is now the 5th largest metro area in the US. And the airport looks like a slum - not even as nice as our airport (JAX) - which isn't that nice. When I ordered a bagel toasted - the vending site - which was pretty pathetic looking - didn't have a toaster. Robyn
The rental car center has been open since at least last December when I was there. I think the major complaint about it is that they did away with dedicated buses, i.e. whether you're going to Hertz, Avis, Budget or any of the others, you take the same bus, leading to packed buses some days. On the Memorial Day weekend, there was a nice wait in the sun for a bus.

Compare this to SFO which has a rail link to the rental car center.

As to your comments about Sky Harbor and the food, etc., I made the same comments months ago on the FT travel forum that deals with Arizona and the locals were in disagreement, why I don't know. In the terminal that serves AA, you can't even buy a tuna sandwich. Oh, and you also can't buy a Scottsdale map!
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:50 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Wow, definitely not up to Four Seasons Scottsdale standards! Did you have a word with management?
When we checked out this morning - they asked us for comments - and I told them what I said here. Frankly - it is very hard to complain when you're paying what we paid for the room. We stayed five nights. Paid $195/night for 4 nights - got one free. Also got $300 in resort credits ($100 on a package - $200 for renovation credits - $50 for each paid night). If I were paying regular seaon rates - I would have been pissed. The last Four Seasons we stayed at was in Tokyo. Best hotel I've ever stayed at - but considerably more expensive.

I think this property is trying to play catch up and leap frog in what is a very competitive Scottsdale market right now. But I can tell you that - at least IMO - the site where the property is located is still stunning if you're looking for a natural desert location. Robyn
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Staying at the FS at the moment, very quiet, not many guests early this week, thou they are going to fill up Labor Day weekend. Definitely no disturbance from the renovations.

Staying in a Premium Casita for Standard Casita price of $205+ on the 3 for 2 deal. Only difference in rooms seems to be a 'little' more sq ft and better views. They are still giving the $50 per paid night credit and charges for Valet Parking have also been suspended.

They still plan on reopening the Main Lobby and Lounge Bar in the next two weeks. The additional sq ft was needed as now the resort is being surrounded by residential developments, the bar has become the local hang out. Guests were having trouble finding a seat. Room renovations have also started and will take until January. Apart from redecoration, all rooms will get flat screens and wireless.

Rooms have wired at the moment for $10/24hr. Good job FS for not ripping the punters off like some lesser chains. ^

The problem of coffee and clean mugs mentioned above seemed a little strange when I read it but I've encountered the same issue. Apparently it's not the maids job to replenish / clean anything with regards the minibar area. That 's the job of In-Room Dining who apparently come earlier in the day than maid service, i.e when you've probably still got the DND on the door.

What a dumb system, at least regarding the coffee and mugs !
Old Aug 31, 2007, 3:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Sedona - Enchantment

Personally, I found the Enchantment resort to be absolutely lovely. Have stayed here three times now on different occasions. All in the fall or summer seasons. The astronomer that they have on site and has an informal discussion at night was a nice touch. The casita rooms are Southwestern in nature and comfortable. The spa was fine with different treatments than you can find in many places e.g., Native American themed treatments.

I love hiking and was able to do that every day on property. Also, took a helicopter ride into the canyons which was phenomenal! The pancake place in town has over 100 types of pancakes and makes for a nice breakfast. It's not fancy or pretentious, but all in all, Sedona is one of my most favorite places in the US.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant
Personally, I found the Enchantment resort to be absolutely lovely. Have stayed here three times now on different occasions. All in the fall or summer seasons. The astronomer that they have on site and has an informal discussion at night was a nice touch. The casita rooms are Southwestern in nature and comfortable. The spa was fine with different treatments than you can find in many places e.g., Native American themed treatments.

I love hiking and was able to do that every day on property. Also, took a helicopter ride into the canyons which was phenomenal! The pancake place in town has over 100 types of pancakes and makes for a nice breakfast. It's not fancy or pretentious, but all in all, Sedona is one of my most favorite places in the US.
I appreciate your comments on Enchantment and was wondering if you could fill me in on something.

Do you have any idea why they have this strange policy of not allowing visits to the property by non-guests? I mentioned on FT a few months ago that while on a day trip to Sedona, I called them, said I was staying at the Four Seasons Scottsdale and asked if I could see the hotel so I could consider them for the future.

I was very brusquely turned down and told that if you aren't staying there, you have to make a DINNER RESERVATION to see the place. I have never heard of such a thing in my life but apparently, according to the Four Seasons' concierge staff, this is typical of Enchantment.

If you know why, I would love to hear.

More importantly, I suppose is hearing your view on whether Enchantment is equal to Four Seasons or other top hotels (e.g. Mandarin Oriental, etc.).
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
In my view, it's consistent with their general attitude, which is more rigid than helpful. When you think about it, it's ridiculous. Someone wants to come up from the Four Seasons in Scottsdale to see the property. Talk about your target market -- roll out the red carpet for god's sake!

More importantly, I suppose is hearing your view on whether Enchantment is equal to Four Seasons or other top hotels (e.g. Mandarin Oriental, etc.).
In my opinion, not even close. It's a very nice property, in absolutely spectacular surroundings, but does not come close to the Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental in quality or service. Were one of those chains to take it over, it would no doubt be closed for substantial upgrades and re-training of staff.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 5:26 pm

We just got back about 3 weeks ago from a fairly similar trip. We spent 2 nights at the Four Seasons Troon, where we stayed in an Oasis unit with a lovely plunge pool and outdoor fireplace(which Im sure would be great in the right season....lol). We moved on to Sedona for 4 nights in a 1 bedroom villa. Then we were off to Vegas(but thats another story
Both properties were quite nice, and the service was excellent at both(althought perhaps not quite as polished at the Enchantment, but the setting was over the top).
Having looked around while in Sedona at many of the other luxury property locations we honestly wouldnt stay anywhere else if we returned. Although Im sure many of the features of the others are wonderful the secluded setting and the beauty of the Enchantment would entice us back every time.
The fact that my DH, chose to remove everything from the safe except my wallet, and they were able to retieve it for me and we had it in Canada within 5 days doesnt hurt for my impression of their service either (Dont ask how impressed I was with DH though....lol....and before you ask I didnt notice since I had come down with a terrible cold and was sicker than a dog the day we left there
I cant tell you too much about the location of the 4 seasons for accessibiltiy to Scottsdale, since we were so unhappy that we never left the resort
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In my view, it's consistent with their general attitude, which is more rigid than helpful. When you think about it, it's ridiculous. Someone wants to come up from the Four Seasons in Scottsdale to see the property. Talk about your target market -- roll out the red carpet for god's sake!

In my opinion, not even close. It's a very nice property, in absolutely spectacular surroundings, but does not come close to the Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental in quality or service. Were one of those chains to take it over, it would no doubt be closed for substantial upgrades and re-training of staff.
Thanks. I had a few laughs when that happened last winter with the management of the Four Seasons because I asked them if they thought my request was out of the ordinary.

Unless absolutely necessary, I would never stay at Enchantment because of this incident.

Originally Posted by Legalbee
We just got back about 3 weeks ago from a fairly similar trip. We spent 2 nights at the Four Seasons Troon, where we stayed in an Oasis unit with a lovely plunge pool and outdoor fireplace(which Im sure would be great in the right season....lol). We moved on to Sedona for 4 nights in a 1 bedroom villa. Then we were off to Vegas(but thats another story
Both properties were quite nice, and the service was excellent at both(althought perhaps not quite as polished at the Enchantment, but the setting was over the top).
Having looked around while in Sedona at many of the other luxury property locations we honestly wouldnt stay anywhere else if we returned. Although Im sure many of the features of the others are wonderful the secluded setting and the beauty of the Enchantment would entice us back every time.
The fact that my DH, chose to remove everything from the safe except my wallet, and they were able to retieve it for me and we had it in Canada within 5 days doesnt hurt for my impression of their service either (Dont ask how impressed I was with DH though....lol....and before you ask I didnt notice since I had come down with a terrible cold and was sicker than a dog the day we left there
I cant tell you too much about the location of the 4 seasons for accessibiltiy to Scottsdale, since we were so unhappy that we never left the resort
Just FYI, the official name is Four Seasons Scottsdale at Troon North. http://www.fourseasons.com/scottsdale/. I was there for the weekend. To update some of the information recently posted here, the construction is almost finished and the remaining rooms will be done in a few days.

We experienced absolutely no noise or discomfort because of the construction.

I have stayed in Kiva suites a couple of times before and really enjoyed them. In May, we had all our meals on our patio. Previously, we had invited local friends to join us for dinner that the hotel set up.

You are right; in December or January, the outdoor fireplace is a really nice touch. You might also be able to get a "pole heater" if it's very cold (for Scottsdale) and you want to have dinner on the patio. By the way, the water temperature in the pools can de adjusted although they do not tell you this in advance.

My girlfriend and I were almost as "unhappy" as you and your husband so I can provide some information as to the location of the hotel in relation to other things if anyone needs to know.

By the way, it rained on Saturday and there was a spectacular double rainbow visible, at least north of Cave Creek.

Last edited by Landing Gear; Sep 6, 2007 at 11:33 pm Reason: clarification and additional comments
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Hey bigbadbuff,

Will be in Sedona 8 - 13 Sep and will be glad to pick-up any literature you may want. Send me a PM.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:36 am
Suspended

I appreciate your comments on Enchantment and was wondering if you could fill me in on something.

Do you have any idea why they have this strange policy of not allowing visits to the property by non-guests? I mentioned on FT a few months ago that while on a day trip to Sedona, I called them, said I was staying at the Four Seasons Scottsdale and asked if I could see the hotel so I could consider them for the future.

I was very brusquely turned down and told that if you aren't staying there, you have to make a DINNER RESERVATION to see the place. I have never heard of such a thing in my life but apparently, according to the Four Seasons' concierge staff, this is typical of Enchantment.

I used to get to sedona 3-4 times a yr. Even drove there from LV for acouple of days. Just LOVE the Red Rocks and hiking etc.

Drove up the the Enchantment 1 time and 1 is met by a closed gate. The guard asked if I had a res and told him no but wasd up here checking the place out for a client who wanted me to book a place for a working weekend for his Company. He let me in. The 2nd time with friends that line didnt work and we said we wanted to look at some rooms, we were let in and someone took us around and showed us the different rooms.

We weren't Impressed in the least. The grounds are awesume but then all of Sedona is. My friends were at the Hilton and their room there ( suite) beat anything we saw at the E.

I usually stay up in Flagstaff and drive down Oak Creek Canyon to get to Sedona. Beatiful drive. But I do it more since in Flag I was able to get the Hampton or HGI with a coupon for between $49-69, so Id switch every night for Hilton credit. Once the sun goes down there isnt much to do anywhere so I figured Id save the $$
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
If you haven't tried Binkley's in Cave Creek - http://www.binkleysrestaurant.com/ - give it a try (we were there during our last visit a couple of years ago - and will be dining there again on our next trip in a few weeks). Really good (at least it was back then) - and priced very reasonably for what you get. Could be the best restaurant in the greater Phoenix area these days.

Robyn
Have to agree. We were there last summer (2006). They offer a variety of courses at fixed prices. Check the website. They also offer a wine pairing which I thought was reasonably priced.

We'll be back for dinner in December 2007.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.