Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Chicago

Will be in Chicago for 1 night later this month.
Any suggestions on where to stay (up to $400 per night)?
Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:00 am
Community Director Emerita

Check out the Hyatt forum for posts on the Park Hyatt. I stayed there this weekend, and really liked it.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:53 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Park Hyatt or Peninsula.... I like the Pen
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:39 pm

The Peninsula is one of my favorite hotels in the world. There are many corporate rates available that will get you in under $400/nt.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Have not stayed at the Pen, but had a great stay at the Park Hyatt this weekend. I enthusiastically recommend it.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I will definitely say the Pen!
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Have not stayed at the Pen, but had a great stay at the Park Hyatt this weekend. I enthusiastically recommend it.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Looks like SD1K and you stayed across the street from me last weekend - sorry I missed you (was in LHR anyway).

I found that the Park Hyatt rooms were a bit small and crowded (NB: never stayed there, just visited friends staying there).

The Pen has bigger rooms and the service there is outstanding.

The Four Seasons and The Ritz-Carlton should be on your short list too.

Whichever one you go with, you will be happy since they are all luxurious hotels and their location is outstanding.

Have fun.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Looks like SD1K and you stayed across the street from me last weekend - sorry I missed you (was in LHR anyway).
Why do you think there were dent marks on your door when you came home? We were pounding on it, wanting to take you to dinner.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:03 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Me 3 Anyways, to answer the OP, I like the rooms at the PH but I find their service pretty poor for such a high profile hotel. OTOH I've never stayed at the Pen but can't imagine their service to be any worse.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
I'm not sure that the Park Hyatt's rooms are necessarily smaller than the Pen's, but the service at the latter is much better, as I and others have commented in other threads.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, United 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Both hotels are very nice. The workout facilities at the Pen are nicer but the PH is very nice. One little thing the PH has complimentary coffee and tea in the morning and hot chocolate in the afternoon and evenings in the winter in thier little lounge area. I would stay at which ever hotel gives you the better rate unless you are big into service and then I would say the Pen may edge out. I would also like to add though that one of the worst experiences I have ever had in a nice hotel (im including hyatt, marriott, westin etc. in this one) ocurred at the Pen and to be honest when I complaind to the front desk in the moring, something that should have been completely taken care of wasnt really.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:10 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
I cannot imagine a service problen @ the Peninsula. This is hands down my favorite hotel in Chicago and I travel there 6-10 times a year (for fun, not business). One time I was transferring to the W city center (also a very cool property, BTW) to take advantage of a couple of free nights before they expired. The Peninsula could not find our luggage that we had checked for the afternoon before we left. When we explained that my wife and I were going to the theater that evening, we were promised reimbursement for clothing should we need to purchase any in order to make the play in time. As it turned out, they found it in time and the manager hand delivered it and unpacked for us at the W, also we were offered upgrades for our next stay. Hats off to the Peninsula.

Last edited by chardo; Oct 8, 2005 at 12:31 am
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I'd like to know how to get in the Pen for under $400/night?
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Typing from the Pen right now. A wonderful property, with great service, great rooms, and very centrally located. The PH looks pretty cool (across the street) - have not ventured inside - but will definitely return here.
^ ^ ^
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH
I'm not at all suggesting that Swissotel is on the same par as the other hotels mentioned already, but honestly, my stay there was one of the nicest of anyplace I've been. For well under $400 night we had a HUGE corner room with a HUGE bathroom (separate tub and shower) that overlooked the Navy Pier. The room decor and furnishings did not look at all dated (this was a couple of years ago). The in-hotel restaurant was excellent and service throughout the hotel was personable and professional. The one drawback - and it's not minor - is the hotel's location. It is a bit of a hike to get to Michigan Avenue - yet a cab ride would be short and inexpensive. For me I would prefer to stay there and spend the couple hundred $ difference at Charlie Trotter's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.