Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Q club worth it

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is the Q club worth it

I have read from several posts about the harper collection- my question is, are any of you Q club members, and if so, is it worth the money? Does it provide different or better benefits than the AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts program? I was looking for some feedback before I subscribe.
Thanks!
Travelsig
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
I am an original Q Club member so have been in the program for some time. In a lot of cases, Singita in Africa, San Pietro in Italy for instance, there is a large savings. Sometimes you can save the cost of your annual membership with one trip. On others, it is just what you might get in a corporate rate or other program. However, I do think there is quite a bit of prestige with the participating hotels if you are a member as there is a particular type of clientele who subscribe. You can also use their travel agents but I have found they have a large turnover and some aren't particularly swift, so often make the reservations myself and mention my Q Club number to get the rate.

Even hotels that don't do "programs", like the Aman chain, have special perks, packages, upgrades for Q Club members instead of offering special rates. This is also true of some Four Seasons, like the one in Chicago. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bruiser; Apr 23, 2005 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Bruiser for the explanation. I am going to give it a try- it looks like the value can justify the expense- will post the results once I have had a couple of stays.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:30 am

Right - try it for a year or two and see if you can justify the cost. We have found it to be pretty helpful and also informative.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bruiser
Right - try it for a year or two and see if you can justify the cost. We have found it to be pretty helpful and also informative.
Thanks for the tip- already paid for itself with a buy four nights get the fifth night free deal in Sydney at the Observatory and a good deal in Singapore. The staff are wayyyy above the level of the PTS agents- they actually respond to emails and answer questions. Impressive---could be the excuse I have been looking for to cancel my overpriced AMEX card.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:32 am

Programs: some
Sorry to ask what must be a dumb question. I usually book the cheapest rate I can find (if I don't do Priceline) or, since recently book through Virtuoso. What is the advantage of joining another programme?

I travel a lot in SE Asia - would this be a good programme to consider?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fliar
Sorry to ask what must be a dumb question. I usually book the cheapest rate I can find (if I don't do Priceline) or, since recently book through Virtuoso. What is the advantage of joining another programme?

Not a dumb question at all. As mentioned by Bruiser, this program has some Amans and other hotels that don't participate in other programs. I don't do Priceline personally as I want to choose exactly where I stay and often require a lot of flexibility in changing dates. I looked into this as the rates looked pretty good- decided to try it for a couple of years and then decide. The Sydney deal to me made it work- same price as the AMEX FHR program including the upgrade- AND one night free. They don't have a lot of hotels in Asia- Virtuouso has more I believe- but they do have most of the big hitters like the RC Singapore, the PH Tokyo, the PEN BKK, IC HK, etc.....let me try it for a while and I will let you know more detail.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:44 am

The thing about the Harper Q Club is that they don't usually recommend any accommodations below Deluxe, so if you want less expensive rates they may not be for you. However, sometimes their Deluxe rates can be close to what a regular lower room rate would be. I think it depends on what you want. Since I joined years ago I rely on them for good rates and recommendations at first class hotels.
They are also doing a lot more SE Asia than previously - the only other thing I might mention is that they are quite cautious about places they recommend so sometimes don't cover as much as other programs.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:26 pm

Thanks Bruiser and TRAVELSIG for your replies. I often stay at the RC in SIN and would be interested to hear what sort of rates you are getting for a club room. Similarly for the Pen in BKK.

As others have said, with one or two stays the annual fee could be recovered.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:33 am

The RC in SIN is SD 320 for a deluxe room and SD 428 for Premier. The Penn in BKK is USD 368 for a Deluxe Suite, USD 240 for a Balcony Room.

Last edited by speedbird001; Apr 29, 2005 at 6:10 am
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:04 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Sorry, how many USD for the Deluxe Suite?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:10 am

See edited message.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:16 am

Thanks for the replies.

Mmhhh...those rates are certainly higher than what I pay...*sigh* sometimes it's great to have so many different programmes/options, and sometimes it just complicates things...
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Mmhhh...those rates are certainly higher than what I pay...*sigh* sometimes it's great to have so many different programmes/options, and sometimes it just complicates things...
So you are saying you get the same accommodations with better rates from Virtuoso or Priceline than the Q Club?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:48 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Many hotels offer rate parity between Virtuoso and Q Club. Pen BKK does, and they loss in breakfast, one way transfer etc etc to Virtuoso bookings. The aforementioned stay 5 pay 4 at the Observatory is also available via Virtuoso.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.