Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wailea, Maui - Four Seasons or Grand Wailea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Wailea, Maui - Four Seasons or Grand Wailea

We're 6 couples traveling to Maui in July. Looking in Wailea at both the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea. Recommendations please, or is there something better we are missing? Thanks, Ed.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I prefer the Kea Lani for their gorgeous all-suites & more private adult pool, but think the GW is an absolute zoo & have never enjoyed it there. However, their Spa Grande is one of the best in thew world, so don't miss services there even if you stay elsewhere. The 4 SSNS has beautiful rooms, excellent service, so-so restaurants & a very crowded pool area. Also depends on what time of year you're going - hopefully, not during school holidays as they all can get nuts then.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:23 am

in almost every other location, i'd choose the four-seasons over the competition, but for some reason i really like the grand wailea here. i know many ft'ers will disagree with me since i've seen the grand wailea take a beating, but i love the place. since it opened as a grand hyatt, i've stayed there over ten times. yes, it is definitely large and crowded. but i've always found the rooms and grounds luxurious and well maintained. and while the service is not four-seasons psychic, it has always been very gracious and anticipatory. the rooms are huge, with large marble bathrooms a la four-seasons. but you won't get as nice toiletries as at the f-s. the grand wailea pool is truly special, and although it gets packed, it's nowhere near as crowded as the f-s pool, where it can truly be impossible to get a chair. besides, the grand wailea has its beautiful adult pool lined with mexican mosaic tiles, and this area is much more peaceful. the spa is awesome, and overall it's just a fun resort. if you want something more "sceney" and hip, stick with the f-s. but you'll be 6 couples, so i think the grand wailea will be a more fun choice for you. good luck choosing!
Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:35 am

FS Maui : Huge disappointment

I don't understand why everyone is usually raving about the FS Maui.I'm a FS junkie but their Maui property is a huge disappointment. It's way too large, boring and impersonal. Rooms are bland and you have to walk miles to get to the pool or the public areas. Swimming pool is tiny and crowded...good luck to find a lounger even out of season!!! Their section of the beach is not even very nice.
I would never go back!!
I'm not sure about the Grand Wailea but at least they have large gardens and a much better beach than the FS.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've stayed at both hotels and would pick the 4S over the Grand Wailea.

We all have differing opinions about grounds and rooms and service and .... etc. There is one very key thing to remember about The Grand - incentive trips. We stayed there as part of a "President's Club" type trip in 2001. My company took over about 85% of the hotel and I truly felt sorry for all of the regular guests there on vacation. Our group was full of a lot of people with little or no class. After our group left another, very similar one moved in. When we were at the 4S last November (over Thanksgiving weekend) there was another, similar, incentive group at the Grand.

The Grand Wailea is one of the most popular destinations in the world for incentive travel. Even if you pay full rack rate for your room you won't be as important to the property as the group that is occupyng most of the hotel and holding catering and entertainment functions every night.

The icing on the cake for our group was a fireworks display at 10:45 PM. I know that it woke a lot of people up and generated a lot of complaints from regular guests, but the hotel just didn't care.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
If the fireworks were upsetting to the other Grand Wailea guests, I'm sure it affected the FS guests also, as the property is right next door. The biggest complaint I have about the FS, other than previously mentioned, is the lack of view from the majority of the rooms. There are very very few ocean front or ocean view rooms. The GW is more fun a more beautiful property. Bottom line - to me - is that you can't go wrong with either property. Haven't stayed at Kea Lani - yet - but hope to give it a try on my next visit.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
Have stayed at the GW and wanted to check out the next day. What a zoo. I have never seen so many bodies laying out covering every square inch of pool deck, grass, sand and any other spot one could put a body. The beach was unimpressive, mostly because of the sea of beach chairs and pepole. This is one of those resorts where if you aren't in line for a spot at the beach or pool by 7am you can forget it. We left the property each day we were there to find some peaceful beaches. On a positive note the rooms were nice and thea spa is the best I have been to. The four seasons looked similar in activity on a smaller scale. I have never seen so many people around a pool on cell phones. The beach was also crowded and just not the upscale beach resort feeling I was hoping for.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Kea Lani

Try the Fairmont Kea Lani.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I don't know how close you all are, but the Kea Lani has oceanfront 1,2 & 3 bedrom villas with their own patio & 'plunge' pool (more like a jacuzzi in size). They are really gorgeous & the location is incredible! You're probably looking at the same or less for one of these vs. 3 separate suites. Or, if cost is not a consideration & privacy is, you could each get your own.

I'm fuzzy on room #s, but there are 2 rows of villas divided by the pathway to the beach - the front row somewhat less private as people can walk in front of the villa's patio, but views are Oceanfront; the 2nd row, not as great views, but more privacy. Facing the ocean you want to be on the right hand side of the walkway that divides the 2 groups of villas - preferably front row mid to far right. The front row on the left is somewhat 'sunken' & has lesser views.

Although there will be tons of kids this time of year, the Kea Lani's adult pool is a little more remote that the GW's, which you have to walk right through to get anywhere. Their cabanas are much more widely spaced (& can be reserved well in advance, but do it now!) & you don't have the feeling (as much) of being on top of others as you do at the GW or the FS. The lobby bar is a great, warm & comfortable place to hang out & we enjoy both Cafe Ciao! for a light picnic lunch to take to the pool or beach or sitting at the bar at Nick's & having appetizers or sharing an entree. I just like the feeling of this hotel much better & unless you are reserving suites at either of the other properties, the KL's rooms blow them all away as they are all-suite.

Now, if you really want to get away from as many kiddies, you'd need to go over to the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua or Kapalua Bay - both seem to attract far less kids & far more golfers (although I'm not promising anything for July!) or go to Lanai'i or almost any property on the Big Island other than the Hilton Waikaloa! (FS or the Orchid here would be great!) Have Fun!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
Kapalua Bay is one of our favorites. Much more low key. Are going back this summer!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:38 pm

The comments about the FS pool area are true. Try not to go on a school break. The GW is a zoooooooooo.

The service, rooms and restaurants are excellent at FS. Ferraro's and Spago top notch. I have very fond memories of the staff throughout, as well.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Kapalua Bay was one of my all time favorites but it is no longer a Starwood Property. So it's off to the Ritz Carlton.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I am on my way to the Ritz Carlton Kapalua, the Kea Lani and the Four seasons in April. I have stayed at all of these previously and prefer the Ritz for it's peace and tranquility. We were given the Four Seasons part of our stay as a gift. Even though we don't call it our favorite hotel on Maui, we are not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Has anyone stayed at the Kea Lani since the rooms have been re-done? I hope they are better than they used to be. I love their lanai's. They are huge. The front desk staff can be rather surley and have scripted responses to any questions. The adult pool is an oasis and cafe cio (sp) has some excellent food. Nick's is not to be missed either.

Kaanapali has become to zooey for us. It's a nice place to visit, but it has become very busy all year long. If you stay there you are bombarded by time share sharks and may find a few children clinging to you screaming, mommmy because it's so crowded they can tell who their mother is. We used to love it there pre time share bombardement.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:56 am

I am sitting on my terrace of the Wailea Suite at the GW as I type. This is our third visit here; each time, I like it less and less. The first time we were here, it was off season and we stayed for 3 weeks. For $2100 per night, I expect more. The rooms are large -- a king bedroom, a double bedroom, and a large sitting room, dining area (seating for 10) and kitchen with full-size refrigerator and microwave in between. But despite having 3 large lanais, because of trees, I would describe the view as more garden view than oceanview. The carpet in the suite is FILTHY -- stained everywhere. The resort is VERY crowded -- more like being at the Jersey shore. And no drink service on the beach. The staff is friendly but not particularly attentive. Dinner last night at Humuhumu was average -- crowded and slow. My kids are enjoying the pool, but I will be glad when we head over to the FS on Tuesday.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:06 pm

it seems like the common (and very valid) complaint about the grand wailea, and f-s for that matter, is that they are extremely crowded... which brings me to the sobering question: but why do you go to maui for peace and quiet??? you all seem like very well-traveled people, so you should know that maui has not been an "island paradise" for years now. it's got great hotels, beautiful scenery, up-and-coming restaurants, and gorgeous beaches, but it does not have peace and quiet. you go there for what it is. if you want a luxe resort that isn't a "zoo," per se, then you really should not be on maui, or in hawaii, for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.