Favorite Amenities/Special Touches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Amenities/Special Touches

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:31 am

Programs: SK*G, Marriott Gold, ROP Silver
I think mine too was at Shangri-La Bangkok (July 2004). We were on a 2-day stopover in Bangkok before heading out to Phuket. In celebration of hubby's 40th birthday....on arrival, we were greeted by a member of staff and whisked up to the club lounge on the 26 floor (or was it 27th?). We were shown to a cosy corner with magnificent vistas over BKK and the Chao Phraya River. We were then presented with a glass of ice-cold champagne - which was well received. After 45 mins or so, we were shown to our room where a birthday cake was waiting, complete with silver service. The exotic fruit was also in the room, plus homemade chocs. All in all, a wonderful experience. The Asian hotels certainly know how to pamper us
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
My favorite has to be my honeymoon in Paris at the Crillon. We arrived in the early morning from the US. My travel agent had obvously told them it was our honeymoon and there was the most incredible fruit basket I've ever seen, before or since, waiting for us (arranged by the hotel but from my TA). Also, a bottle of champagne with a card from M. Taittinger (owner of the hotel).
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
While I have not been exposed to many of the extraordinary amenities listed above, I have a couple that were 'little things' that make the stay a bit more memorable.
- I like that the St. Regis in DC puts on classical music on the Bose radio for turndown service. Makes the room feel less empty when traveling solo. They may have done something similar at the St. Regis NYC, but I was in the room when they were doing some of the service and on the phone so they may have passed on this.

- At the Jalousie Hilton in St. Lucia the maids placed fuscia colored flowers on the bed which were welcoming and nice...one funny thing though - it seemed as though the amount that you left in tip for the maids was positively correlated to how many flowers were left on the bed (we were there for close to two weeks and were able to do some statistical testing )
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
One of the elements which makes a stay special is how the hotel corrects any mistake that occurs. At the RC Atlanta my parents were coming for a visit and I went to make sure that the room ready. In the bathroom I noticed that housekeeping had not changed the rose, which was not intended to be a dried rose. After mentioning it to housekeeping in the hall and coming back with my parents a few hours later there were half a dozen roses in the bathroom beautifully arranged.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:03 am
In Memoriam

At the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin, instead of mints, a couple of small bottles of Irish Whiskey.

After a week there, the chambermaid came in while I was on the phone with my wife. I told her that I was in trouble, I had told my wife about the little bottles and it seems as though I had drank them all.

On my departure, the manager brought me a case, 144 bottles, gift wrapped and addressed to Mrs. Underpressure.

Wanting to be safe, I claimed it on my customs form and I explained it at US Customs, the agent said, "Lucky you!" and waived me on. ^ ^

Five years later, I think I still have fifteen or so left.

Black Bush!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:15 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
IC Carlton in Cannes gives full size bars of soap! I few went into my suitcase, as I really liked it. These were later taken by the girl friend, so I can't provide the name. It was from England. The shampoo and Conditioner bottles were also larger sized. One could last for 3 days.

Timo
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Very impressed by Villa Des Orangers, the Marrakesh riad, last February.

An airport pick-up and drop-off is included in your rate. They will serve breakfast wherever on the property you want - you want a table laid out by the pool at 8am? You got it. If you're there at lunchtime, you can have lunch - for free.

Add in the little extra touches - rose petals floating in tubs in the lobby, the guitarist who strums away quietly in the courtyard every evening, the fact that a 20-room property has TWO large swimming pools .... you really cannot go wrong here. It is not even madly expensive.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:09 am

Cavalieri Hilton Rome

you must have been there when I was there!!!

May 2003.last room on right on exec floor.
first day ok.
second day-
JACKHAMMERS AT 7AM
I called front desk. 1 hr later no response. called again and again and then they said
sorry they didnt know hen it would stop but they would move me.
I said it had better be a better room that I already had
(last room close to st pauls.)

They said it was

when they moved me it was a suite below the club
(clip clop heals all day and night but a great suite looked like versace!
and BIG bottles of bulgari products and a plasma in the bathroom.

loved it.!

this year got a crappy room overlooking the tower!

wish the jackhammers were back!
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by climbermom
I think the most special things were done by the staff at the Regent Beverly Wilshire when I stayed there with my two children. When we checked in, my son asked if they had nintendo in the room, and they asked him for a list of the best games and sent someone out to the store to buy the ones he liked; they had placed sponges in the shape of letters spelling out their names by the tub; they delivered big, warm chocolate chip cookies with their names written in icing and glasses of milk at bedtime. My kids were very impressed and still compare every other hotel to that visit.
That's very sweet!
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:10 pm

Programs: cathay pacific
Originally Posted by stimpy
Wow, I'm looking forward to being sick at my next FS stay!
Well, I am not. During a stay at the FS NY, my girlfriend got really sick and had to stay in bed. The hotel was conducting servicing of its cable installation and there was no TV whatsoever. They completely ignored my request for a VCR to be supplied and showed no attention whatsoever, no chicken soup for us If you add the worst checking in experience in my life you will understand why I will not ever stay again in a FS. I guess that taught me not to be unfaithful to the Carlyle again.

I have had a lot of good experiences, most of them in Amans but my accolade goes to the Oberoi Lombok . We stayed in the Royal Villa and the all thing was a bliss but the F&B manager topped it all up. I made a request for a slightly unusual room service that included pomegranates, sesame, honey. The F&B manager called me back enquiring whether I was jewish (which I am) he then wished me a happy New Year and arranged all the foods one is supposed to eat on this special occasion. I was so impressed that I decided to propose to my girlfriend at the Oberoi instead of at Amanwana and once again had a slightly unusual request in the form of a Knickerbocker Glory (my gf favourite dessert). They delivered with the chef making his own marshmallow for the occasion!

Also, my secretary had made my booking with my usual prerequisites (guava jelly, only fresh white flowers in the room, a shaker, Lillet and Tanqueray gin, and a copy of the FT evry day). The chef made fresh guava jam especially for me, they had 2 bottles of Lillet shipped especially and one of their offices faxed the FT every day (after going to the trouble of reducing to A4)!
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:47 pm

I was staying at Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica for two weeks and upon check in, the front desk clerk handed me personalized business cards that said "In Residence at Shutters....". Also, I forgot my toothbrush and called the front desk to ask where the closest drug store was to the hotel. And the clerk said, "I'll take care of it right away Mr.___". Seconds later, a knock on the door revealed a silver tray with a new toothbrush.

As far as amenities go, nothing can beat the Hermes bath soaps given in the green case at the Peninsula in Hong Kong. In second place are the cue ball size Flores soaps at the Palace Hotel in NYC. ^
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
When I stayed at the Hilton Cavalari in Rome, I was given a bottle of Champagne and a cake when I arrived (I was hilton honors gold).
Just came back this week from Rome - when we got back to the room on our first night at the Cavalieri, there was a bottle of champagne on ice, a box of chocolates, and a note for the GM welcoming us and thanking us for staying with them.

Classy touch, and definitely the kind of thing that encourages a return visit.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
I love the replica cinnabar boxes given at the Peninsula in Hong Kong. They are made of plastic, but are quite cleverly crafted to look similar to antique cinnabar. They are engraved with the Chinese figures which are at the front door of the hotel. The really gracious thing about the Peninsula is that they gave us four of these - two extra for my children - who we were not even paying extra for. You get none of the nickel and diming there. A beautiful memory from a great hotel.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:33 pm

On a recent stay to Las Ventanas al Paraiso, I experienced probable the best turndown service. When you first arrive you have a choice of aroma therapy oils that are set out in the evening. A really relaxing touch. Also a card with a little something about the animal/sea life that I thought was very nice. All and all, one of the finest properties. Really looking forward to going back this summer.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:29 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
My husband and I have been lucky enough to stay at some great hotels and we always appreciate when a hotel gives us a good bottle of French champagne. But our most memorable amenity was from Amanpulo.

Our room was graced with the local favorite - fresh squeezed calamansi juice with a side of sugar cane syrup. Calamansis are gumball-sized limes grown only in the Philippines and Amanpulo has two employees that work for several hours each day squeezing one calamansi at a time between their fingertips. The proper way to consume calamansi juice, we learned, is to pour it over ice, mix in a small bit of sugar cane syrup and stir gently with a tiny bamboo paddle. I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.