Biggest Luxury Hotel Disappointment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Luxury Hotel Disappointment?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just remembered Marbella Club in Marbella, Spain.
1. Lousy room (even though they had confirmed an upgrade in writing with the travel agent).
2. Very forgettable service (as in they kept forgetting things when asked for).
3. Double Billing on F&B (although this was corrected quickly).
My understanding is they have since rennovated the property completely- although I could never really even imagine going back to check.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Not that I had high expectations, but The Grand in Stockholm had some pretty dreadful rooms. Just about every hotel in London would also fall under "disappointment" as well.
Oh yes - 12 square metres some of them! However, it also has some truly lovely rooms and suites overlooking the harbour. Fairly hit and miss but twice (out of 2 trips) I have had a fight with them over the room I was allocated and twice they have come up trumps in return.

I think a lot of it goes back to the time when Stockholm was the most expensive place in the world for hotel rooms and it made sense to build in broom cupboard size rooms with no views as you could still get a fortune for them. Ironically, the basic rooms at The Grand are so poor that they don't even offer them for Priority Club reward nights - the default reward room is 20sq m one. Probably still a dump but at least it has a double bed!

If I went to Stockholm again (and it is lovely in Summer) then I'd go back to The Grand but I'd be very choosy about what room I booked.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Oh yes - 12 square metres some of them! However, it also has some truly lovely rooms and suites overlooking the harbour. Fairly hit and miss but twice (out of 2 trips) I have had a fight with them over the room I was allocated and twice they have come up trumps in return.

I think a lot of it goes back to the time when Stockholm was the most expensive place in the world for hotel rooms and it made sense to build in broom cupboard size rooms with no views as you could still get a fortune for them. Ironically, the basic rooms at The Grand are so poor that they don't even offer them for Priority Club reward nights - the default reward room is 20sq m one. Probably still a dump but at least it has a double bed!

If I went to Stockholm again (and it is lovely in Summer) then I'd go back to The Grand but I'd be very choosy about what room I booked.
I love The Grand, but yes, you have to be very picky about which room/suite. Unless you book one of the grand suites in the main wing, then the best option is to take something in the Burmanska Palace wing, where everything is new.

Given the numerous lures of this hotel - the Raison d'Etre Spa, the two amazing Michelin starred Mathias Dahlgren restaurants - then it is a wonderful place to stay, but like many hotels, you need to know exactly which rooms to book. The Princess Lilian Suite is pretty nice....
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I love The Grand, but yes, you have to be very picky about which room/suite. Unless you book one of the grand suites in the main wing, then the best option is to take something in the Burmanska Palace wing, where everything is new.
+1 on the Burmanska Palace wing- it is new, and the harbour views are great.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Amanfayun

I didn't have a major problem, and I really loved Hangzhou, but for nearly $1,000 per night (especially given high prices on-site, e.g., they asked $75 for the hotel car to West Lake, about a ten-minute drive), it lacked the "wow" factor that I was expecting.

The restaurants were very good, but the room was a bit disappointing. It also has no swimming pool, which, in a sweltering environment with days spent wandering around the temples, would be a nice diversion in the afternoon. The service overall was pretty good, but I experienced a couple of glitches.

Maybe partially because of the Amancult here, my expectations were too high.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq
I didn't have a major problem, and I really loved Hangzhou, but for nearly $1,000 per night (especially given high prices on-site, e.g., they asked $75 for the hotel car to West Lake, about a ten-minute drive), it lacked the "wow" factor that I was expecting.

The restaurants were very good, but the room was a bit disappointing. It also has no swimming pool, which, in a sweltering environment with days spent wandering around the temples, would be a nice diversion in the afternoon. The service overall was pretty good, but I experienced a couple of glitches.

Maybe partially because of the Amancult here, my expectations were too high.
They are waiting for planning permission to build a pool, but it is on the agenda. Sometimes Zecha's 'authenticity' can be a bit of a shock.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Just remembered Marbella Club in Marbella, Spain.
1. Lousy room (even though they had confirmed an upgrade in writing with the travel agent).
2. Very forgettable service (as in they kept forgetting things when asked for).
3. Double Billing on F&B (although this was corrected quickly).
My understanding is they have since rennovated the property completely- although I could never really even imagine going back to check.

" 3. Double Billing on F&B (although this was corrected quickly). "

I cannot confirm it of course, but I get the distinct impression that they frequently do this on purpose. Yes, they also correct it, but only if detected by the guest. (and always that "surprised" looked when it is brought to their attention)
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by gelplanes

" 3. Double Billing on F&B (although this was corrected quickly). "

I cannot confirm it of course, but I get the distinct impression that they frequently do this on purpose. Yes, they also correct it, but only if detected by the guest. (and always that "surprised" looked when it is brought to their attention)
It's extremely disappointing to think that they may do this on purpose. Another reason not to set foot in that property!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by luxury
I think I will add Hotel Seiyo Ginza in Tokyo to this list of disappointing hotels. After hearing so many positive reviews of Rosewood I had expected the whole experience to be so much better than it was.
I have to agree with you. It's a disappointing property.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:08 am

Caribbean flops!!

I have to say that I have endured a few terrible stays in the Caribbean, most notably Caneel Bay in the US Virgin Islands, Little Dix in the British Virgin Islands (both Rosewood properties) as well as Cap Juluca in Anguilla (back in 2006/2007).
Overpriced, poor service, dated facilities, complete lack of any interest whatsoever from the staff.
Caneel Bay was particularly poor. I know that it is not technically a luxury resort, but to have no telephones in the rooms and to have to walk to a bus stop to place your room service order is almost criminal!! Aggressive and unfriendly attitude of the staff made us feel very unwelcome. Loved the little 'wild' donkeys that roam the grounds though.
Little Dix was simply an expensive mess.
Anguilla was pretty and I seem to recall that they might have been going through an ownership change during my stay.

Have had great stays at Sandy Lane in Barbados, the Carlisle Bay in Antigua and Peter Island in BVI (had one of my best martinis ever at a little restaurant called The Dove in Road Town on Tortola!! Delicious)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
My first and possibly will be the last Aman experience at Amanpuri.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
It must have been bad Ozchinois!Are you going to tell us the details?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Ozchinois
Wow, that's a bit surprising...what happened?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paul2
It must have been bad Ozchinois!Are you going to tell us the details?
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Wow, that's a bit surprising...what happened?
one thing is it may be "disappointment" rather than bad, considering thread.

but for amanpuri, there was one regular poster that said they had a very bad puri villa stay, and many amanjunkies have said they feel its gone downhill.

also, aman outside indonesia do seem more mixed. over time, GM during stay may play a role? and of course there was zecha's hiatus.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:01 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

I'd like to know more about bad Amanpuri experience as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.