Search

Barcelona, advice?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2004, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Barcelona, advice?

Hello,

we are considering flying to Barcelona this autumn to do some shopping and sightseeing. And so I am looking for some “hotel-advice”…

My first choice would be the "Gran Hotel la Florida", which is a boutique-style hotel and opend in 2003. It was recommended to me by the Concierge of a FS where I stayed last month. But I am also looking at the Ritz-Carlton (The Arts) and “The Ritz”.

Did somebody stay at these hotels lately?

Any other advice about Barcelona would be appreciated too!
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:51 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
I've stayed at all of them, and whatever you do; avoid the Ritz!!!
1. RC Arts has a medium location for sightseeing, but a great location for modern city bustle along the Olympic port. Oversized rooms, extremely beautiful view from the higher floors, large baths with fluffy towels and nice amenities, especially in the suites, courteuos service, albeit a bit impersonal. Really stingy with the upgrades, though. Despite a solid maintenance some of the rooms are showing some wear 'n tear after 12 years. The second best pool area in BCN.
2. The best pool area definetely belongs to The Gran Hotel Florida on top of Mount Tibidado with its 100ft steel lined indoor/outdoor infinity pool that makes it seem like you're floating on top of the city. Large sundeck, multiterraced, great service level!. It's to me THE hotel to stay at IF you don't mind the 15-20' ride downtown to the supposed main attractions. Nicely designe rooms, stunning bathrooms, many of them with an equally stunning view. The breakfast rivals Arts as one of BCN's best (Though Arts Eggs Benedict with fresh truffle shavings edges past Florida..) an can also
be had on the terrace outside the restaurant. Spectacular design elements in many parts of the hotel, has to be experienced to be believed. ( Its sister hotel is opening at a more central location on Montjuic early next year).

Try www.hotellaflorida.com
Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:57 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by The Viking
RC Arts has a medium location for sightseeing, but a great location for modern city bustle along the Olympic port. Oversized rooms, extremely beautiful view from the higher floors, large baths with fluffy towels and nice amenities, especially in the suites, courteuos service, albeit a bit impersonal. Really stingy with the upgrades, though. Despite a solid maintenance some of the rooms are showing some wear 'n tear after 12 years. The second best pool area in BCN.
I stayed at this property in June 2004. Agree with this assessment. Although I've heard them to be stingy with room upgrades, I did get a suite to club-level suite upgrade back in June.

The property definitely has that mid- to late-80's feel to it.

Although directly on the sea, it may not be convenient to many of the tourist locations.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Thanks!

Thank's very much for your very detailed and informative posts!

I now have booked the "Gran Hotel la Florida" and I am sure it will be a perfect stay...

Will tell you more after my two nights there. A report can be found here then.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 7:55 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Would love to se your trip report from the hotel in this forum as well!

One tip for a topnotch restaurant not known to the general guidebooks; Restaurante Colibri in Riera Alta, look it up at http://www.restaurantcolibri.com/
and you will deinetely not be let down. Clean, fresh ingredients, and Roberto who is one of the co-owners always provides the little extras. Great wine list as well, and walking back through the quieter parts of Barcelona towards the main square on a sunny afternoon after a sumptuous lunch is a superb experience. That is if you have the energy...
Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:45 am

Programs: AF, CO, BA
and Claris...

I totally agree with "VIKING"... As a BCN resident for the time being, I have had the chance to visit and stay in almost every single 5star hotel in the city.

I totally agree with your comment on HOTEL ARTS.. come to think of it, it's very sad, because it could offer so much more with such a great location. Once you are in the hotel, it's hard to avoid that early 90's feeling in everything from the flower arrangement to the layout by the pool. I still believe the pool is small. or I have been very unlucky and it's been quite crowded when I have been there.

La Florida is nice, really nice. But it still needs some time before it can really live up to its promise. I have been there once and the service was very SLOWWWWWW (had to wait 20 min to get a capuccino!!!). I've been told that's getting better and better. The main drawback: it's far up there on Tibidabo.. which can be a problem if you are planning to party in the city's trendiest areas.

Though not as spacious as la florida, one should not forget HOTEL CLARIS, a really nice luxury hotel in the heart of the city just a block away from paseo de gracia (bcn's shopping area)... the restaurant is great and the swimming pool on the top floor, magnificent yet not toobig. The rooms are very classical and CLASSY... and in summer time the bar by the pool is a must do before night time.

cheers,
a
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I'd second a rec for the Claris. It's the only one (aside from the dreary Ritz) mentioned here that has what I would call a good location and is very beautiful with interesting architecture and from what I understand very good service.

If you want to be sequestered away from the city, its culture, and its history, the suburban Arts is OK I guess. But cripes, you could get sequestered in Cleveland.

La Florida is also a beautiful hotel and has an interesting history, plus jawdropping views over the city. But it is far, far away from anything save an amusement park. You can always (always) get a cab to and from where you're going, but honestly I would rather stay in a lesser place and be in the heart of the city than up there above it all.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:39 am

What's so bad about The Ritz (not the Hotel Arts)?

Last edited by Tute84; Oct 11, 2004 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Club Owner
Ritz Barcelona

I was going to stay at Ritz Barcelona during Thanksgiving week.
I was told that only availability is a one bedroom apartment style suite at a little over 1,000 usd per night(Ritz Carlton Club owner discount rate).

Anybody stayed at the suite?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:41 pm

1. Tute 84: The Ritz is an "Old World Hotel" that to me has failed keeping up with the modern world; also regarding service level, comfort and installations/amenities. Its only selling point is location. Price level is way to high.
2. luxuryvacationclub: I sincerely hope that the Ritz you're referring to is probably the RC Hotel Arts. The apartments are supposedly superb, service level on these floors (33-40) of the Arts is probably unrivalled, but once again: Location is a small drawback.

I've only stayed once at the Claris, absolutely a positive surprise, although it was too off-season for lounging by the pool..
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by barcinotnyc
Though not as spacious as la florida, one should not forget HOTEL CLARIS, a really nice luxury hotel in the heart of the city just a block away from paseo de gracia (bcn's shopping area)... the restaurant is great and the swimming pool on the top floor, magnificent yet not toobig. The rooms are very classical and CLASSY... and in summer time the bar by the pool is a must do before night time.

cheers,
a
We've stayed at the Claris & felt it very over-priced for what it is. Our 'Junior Suite' had a bed, a teeny tiny closet, 1 1" step-down to the living area, nice sofa & coffee table in a fairly small space, big bathroom, but no separate toilet or shower. My pet peeve is new 5 stars that don't have a separate toilet & shower. Liked the restaurants upstairs, tho, for a casual meal. Doormen & valets friendly; front desk rather snooty. We'rre at the RC in July, but the company is paying for it. I wish the International Harbor or something like that were better - great location!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Ritz Barcelona

yes, i meant RC Hotel Arts.

luxuryvacationclub

Originally Posted by The Viking
1. Tute 84: The Ritz is an "Old World Hotel" that to me has failed keeping up with the modern world; also regarding service level, comfort and installations/amenities. Its only selling point is location. Price level is way to high.
2. luxuryvacationclub: I sincerely hope that the Ritz you're referring to is probably the RC Hotel Arts. The apartments are supposedly superb, service level on these floors (33-40) of the Arts is probably unrivalled, but once again: Location is a small drawback.

I've only stayed once at the Claris, absolutely a positive surprise, although it was too off-season for lounging by the pool..
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:03 am

Programs: AF, CO, BA
Ritz? Rc? Arts?

As a now resident in lovely BARCELONA, I think I should clarify a couple of things regarding the RITZ brand and its hotels in the catalan capital.

1. HOTEL RITZ (not Ritz Carlton) a 5 star hotel near Paseo de Gracia (main shopping area) and Gran Via Avenue. It is an elegant building, with a great location and claeary overpriced and overrated. The service is poor and everything else feels like it hasnt been renovated in 25 years. It is the name RITZ that usually misleads people who totally believe they are staying at a Ritz Carlton property. This hotel is managed by a Spanish businessman who happened to be the president of soccer team Barça.

2. Hotel RITZ Roger de Lluria. This is a 4 star hotel -next door to the HOTEL RITZ above mentioned. Though not a luxury accomodation, it offers good value for your money. It is pretty modern and much smaller than HOTEL RITZ. RITZ Roger de LLuria uses the name RITZ after they went to court against HOTEL RITZ and won the right to use the name in SPAIN.

3. Hotel ARTS. This hotel is MANAGED by RITZ CARLTON, but it is known as HOTEL ARTS, not Barcelona's RITZ CARLTON. It is a 5 star hotel, kind of far from the downtown area, and with a severe need for a makeover. It was opened in 92, in time for the Barcelona Olympic Games but it hasnt really changed that much since. and it shows. Nice pool, though kind of small. Superb views.

Cheers,
Al

Last edited by barcinotnyc; Oct 13, 2004 at 5:27 am Reason: wrong sentence
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Ritz

Thank you for clarification. It was a little confusing.

I vistited Barcelona 10 years ago.
It was a beautiful city. I love to make time to go back sometime soon.

LuxuryVacationClub :-:
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanw

La Florida is also a beautiful hotel and has an interesting history, plus jawdropping views over the city. But it is far, far away from anything save an amusement park. You can always (always) get a cab to and from where you're going, but honestly I would rather stay in a lesser place and be in the heart of the city than up there above it all.
Agreed and I also recommend Claris. La Florida might be a good way to spend a relaxing day/night recovering from jetlag, but it is way too isolated to enjoy the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.