Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Compensation for closed pool/spa - what is reasonable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)

I am due to stay at a highly rated five-star boutique city property in Europe next week where rates are regularly 1-2+k eur/night. We selected this property for a romantic one night stay where we can use their pool/spa faculties and relax. The hotel pool/spa facilities have been closed for maintenance but were due to be reopened by my stay. While writing for some other information to the concierge, I inquired about the spa facilities and was a told by the a member of staff by email that the facilities will not be ready and open for my stay after all. The property's website still reflects that the maintenance works will be complete by the date of my stay, which feels sloppy. Hotel asked what they can do for compensation and offered to comp a meal or a massage for one person, but we are two guests and staying for a special occasion, so offer seems to fall flat.

What is reasonable compensation for this? We already have our meals planned and I don't want a massage, especially with no facilities to enjoy. As far as I can tell, this hotel has not discounted their room rates even though a material part of their facilities are unavailable. How much discount off room can I ask for (we are paying~1000 eur/night), confirmed suite upgrade or something else?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Is it assumed that there aren’t suitable alternatives available if you were to cancel and book elsewhere? That would ordinarily be the best resolution, like you I’ll often book a hotel specifically to enjoy their facilities and the purpose of the visit is almost nullified without it.

If you stay at the hotel, I would think your options could be reasonably limited. If you don’t want a dinner (again, understandable), how about room service breakfast the next morning, or a guaranteed early check-in/ out?

I’d be quite surprised if the hotel would be willing to reduce their rate. That would certainly be a level of compensation I’d only expect for very regular visitors.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
There's no general answer to this and it depends on the hotel and its purpose. In a city hotel (as long as it's not something like the Sands in Singapore, for example) it's annoying, but I wouldn't expect much for compensation. Often I book hotels without pool as I prefer the design of the rooms or simply think it's the better hotel. If it's a wellness hotel where I want to spend a lot of time at the pool and the hotel is the main reason for the trip, you can't realistically compensate for it. I would rather stay at home completely. Your problem sounds like you should look for alternatives.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.