Search

Los --> Diego: Luxury hotels in Orange County

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: all of 'em.
Los --> Diego: Luxury hotels in Orange County

Hey Flyerheroes.
Searched back for threads about Orange County and environs, and didn't see much beyond 2010 or 2011.
A few threads under the general 'beachfront Southern California' type headings, but these of course include (worthy) destinations in Los Angeles itself, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, and points north.

I recognize that the corridor between L.A. and San Diego, while beautiful, is not considered America's epicenter of luxury hotels.
But looking anyway. Even as i live in L.A., it's not an area I've explored much, nor San Diego.

This would be for a family vacation (staycation, really) in April.
Replacing an earlier planned trip to Las Casas Que Cantos - some medical blips have us needing to be closer to home.
Two kids - 19 and 15 - So I'm looking for a very large suite or two rooms.

There's the Montage, of course. Stayed there once maybe 12 or 13 years ago and it was fabulous.
The look/feel/design felt like a somewhat puzzling choice for SoCal at the time - like a grand hotel transplanted from Montauk or Newport or Amelia Island - but it somehow worked. Low key, laid back luxury, with some excellent very very expensive food. Hard product was very nice, if not off the charts. Great pool scene, never too crowded, beach right there.
I think the Montage i visited a decade+ ago would work for my family. More than enough, actually, probably the top end of what we'd want to do as I'm sure the prices are still ridiculous. (Haven't looked yet)
Any semi-recent Montage LB stays from any of you? Has it been kept up, sustained itself?

Any other suggestions? I'm looking around FHR and Sapphire, not seeing tons of options.
Since it's a group (kids!) I'm looking for more of a large property. Still luxury of course, or at least 'upscale' but with some good food and activities on site.
Great hard product and grounds rather than seclusion/romance or constant, tending-to service.

I see a Ritz on Dana Point.
I see a WA further south (I think this was formerly a Langham or St Regis or even a Nikko?).
If either of these are notable to any of you in any way - good or bad - please chime in.
I've experienced Ritz and WA properties that have luxury levels more than commensurate for this trip's needs, but also cookie-cutter feeling, 'big box luxury', wildly overpriced properties from each brand as well.
I see Pelican Hill, of course. Never been there, but have heard all the legends. Beautiful but more of a golf-y, country club-y place (we don't golf). Not on beach. Maybe alone or with wife but not for this trip.
Further north, I see (and have heard very disparate reports from friends on) Terranea. I remember reading a 'nope' review here relatively recently. Kat, i think, or FlyerEC?
Further south, there's Rancio Valencia which i'm dying to visit, have heard great things about from friends. But that's another intimate one for wife and I only. Also a Pendry but that's practically in San Diego itself. Trying to stay a little more 'remote'.

Before i take a deep dive into due diligence on these three (four including Montage), any other suggestions i'm missing? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cornwall4000; Feb 13, 2024 at 5:18 pm
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:33 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
You could add Fairmont Grand Del Mar to your list. They have a lot of connecting rooms
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Pelican Hill and Rancho Valencia do not fit your needs. Hotel Del Coronado might fit. Why not Catalina?
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:35 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by ABG
You could add Fairmont Grand Del Mar to your list. They have a lot of connecting rooms
I considered that, but the kids would be bored to death there.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 1:38 pm
Original Member

Rancho Valencia is lovely, lushly landscaped, features comfortably furnished patios with outdoor fireplaces and the spa is gorgeous, outstanding and the best I’ve experienced. F&B is good. It’s all beautifully civilized but a little boring unless you care about fitness and tennis. Delighted I went once but left a day early. They could not provide a chess set.

With older kids in tow, have you considered Ojai Valley Ranch? Not Orange County and in the wrong direction but only 80 miles northeast of LA. Also not strictly luxury (yes, I know how you feel about that) and physical plant may be getting tired. It has a golf course which I try to avoid but sometimes you can’t. It’s also kinda big. Come to think of it, avoiding golf courses in southern California is challenging.

There are some nice boutique venues in La Jolla and much to do there and in San Diego. With research and selective nature, these can be an enjoyably welcome substitute for actual luxury.

There are some luxe spa resorts in the area — Golden Door, Cal-a-Vie, Rancho La Puerta (just over the border) but they can be very female although most offer couple retreats. Not for family. I’ve experienced only Golden Door. Spa respites aren’t high on my go-to these days.

So far I’ve avoided Terranea, Pelican Hill and their ilk — too slick and large for me, I’m not their target market.

A lot of LA folk end up in Cabo where the plethora of luxury venues is dizzying. Short flight, almost an LA suburb. I recommend Casa Natalia on the zocalo in San Jose del Cabo, the old town. Drawback is no beach but they will drive you to a beach club (or resort) with which they’ve contracted for amenities. The town is fun. https://www.casanatalia.com/
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
I was not aware this hotel was a Fairmont now, or even still open. I'm a fan of several Fairmonts I've been to (Miramar in SaMo particularly). Will definitely look into. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Pelican Hill and Rancho Valencia do not fit your needs. Hotel Del Coronado might fit. Why not Catalina?
Correct. Just not laid back or close enough to beach on Pelican, while Valencia looks perfect for romance but not for my fam. I've read about Coronado for years. Is it somewhat modernized? I think of it - perhaps incorrectly - as a beautiful old creaky wooden hotel from the early railroad days. Catalina just not as easy as driving from the crib.

I considered that, but the kids would be bored to death there.
Ya think? I'm gonna have a look at Grand Del Mar - if there's a beach, a pool where they can order grill food, and some really nice rooms, that'd be enough.

Kat, as usual you're amazing with knowledge, especially for Cali. Those are all wonderful suggestions, but most are a little too intimate/romantic/spa-like for needs this time. Ojai is dreamy, love that whole ares, but yeah, we'd like to be south of L.A.
Cabo, used to love it, have no plans to return anytime soon. Just gotten too crazy down there, both energy/vibe and price wise. Feels more like Cancun now. I loved it in the days of the Twin Dolphin (now a Montage, i believe, that's a fantastic beach - best in Cabo), and have tried Ventanas, One&Only more recently. Just too much now. For me, the whole area has kinda jumped the shark.
Much more interested in Punta Mita, Zihua, places along that west shore of Sea of Cortez that I haven't been as often.

But for this trip, no flights anyway.

Thank you all!

Last edited by cornwall4000; Feb 13, 2024 at 5:21 pm
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
Come to think of it, avoiding golf courses in southern California is challenging.
Hahaha, right?!? Golf is fine for those who play, but jeez so much acreage. And resource drains.
Oh well, at least they're not NASCAR raceways.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one yet has mentioned the Park Hyatt Aviara. I stayed there once long ago in a large-ish suite but I think it would be somewhat boring if not a golfer although they might also have tennis. Also a very large resort which by the standards of this forum means it is not true luxury.
cornwall4000 likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 14, 2024 at 6:41 am
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Any recent experience with either the RC or WA here? Or recent Montage intel? For this trip, 'very large' might actually be a slight plus, as long as there's a decent-to-great hard product and some modicum of class.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Just started pricing stuff for my dates (mid-April).
Two words come to mind: Holy and Moley.
Even the RC Lagnua is coming in at over 1k per night for a corner queen-bed closet with maintenance-plant views. (Kidding on that last point, but still).

Good lord, I'm fully cognizant that hotels everywhere are now priced in Bananasville territory, just wasn't quite expecting these rates in this location at this time of year...
WA even more.
Looks like I might just go Montage, even as I have no confidence the place isn't falling apart. It's still more expensive than the other two (this I expected, Montage LB has always been priced aspirationally), but at least I know what I'm getting. (Or at least what one used to get)..
The other two look nice enough, but they are fully unknown entities to me and jeez, the prices. Not going to drop 3 or 4 large a night on a big suite or adjoining rooms only to have it turn out to be a garden variety Ritz/Waldorf.
Unless someone can confirm that one of those Ritz or Waldorf (or Fairmont) properties are close-to-spectacular hotels, gonna book Montage tomorrow.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Hotel Del Coronado might fit.
We stayed at the Del shortly before Covid. I had a free night cert, it was Christmas time with masses of decorations on their grounds, and I wanted to try their signature restaurant. Restaurant was fine as were their Christmas settings, but our room was unacceptable as was the service. We checked out and drove home.

A friend gifted me a suite at the Fairmount roughly the same time. The decor was boring, dated Spanish, and I left for home after a few hours.

I lasted thru the night at what is now the Waldorf but was no fan of it either. It was too far from the water for me to find it enticing.
Fliar and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We stayed at the Del shortly before Covid. I had a free night cert, it was Christmas time with masses of decorations on their grounds, and I wanted to try their signature restaurant. Restaurant was fine as were their Christmas settings, but our room was unacceptable as was the service. We checked out and drove home.

A friend gifted me a suite at the Fairmount roughly the same time. The decor was boring, dated Spanish, and I left for home after a few hours.

I lasted thru the night at what is now the Waldorf but was no fan of it either. It was too far from the water for me to find it enticing.
As i expected. Montage i go. I'll certainly review back here when it's finished.

Maybe Aman, Rosewood, FS or someone needs to step into this general area and create something special.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:52 pm
Original Member

The Del has several venues. I’ve been mildly interested in their Beach Village section: https://hoteldel.com/stay/beach-village/. May try it one day. Good choice with kids.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

thank you Kat. Will explore, along with Coronado.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cornwall4000
Just started pricing stuff for my dates (mid-April).
Two words come to mind: Holy and Moley.
Even the RC Lagnua is coming in at over 1k per night for a corner queen-bed closet with maintenance-plant views. (Kidding on that last point, but still).

Good lord, I'm fully cognizant that hotels everywhere are now priced in Bananasville territory, just wasn't quite expecting these rates in this location at this time of year...
WA even more.
Looks like I might just go Montage, even as I have no confidence the place isn't falling apart. It's still more expensive than the other two (this I expected, Montage LB has always been priced aspirationally), but at least I know what I'm getting. (Or at least what one used to get)..
The other two look nice enough, but they are fully unknown entities to me and jeez, the prices. Not going to drop 3 or 4 large a night on a big suite or adjoining rooms only to have it turn out to be a garden variety Ritz/Waldorf.
Unless someone can confirm that one of those Ritz or Waldorf (or Fairmont) properties are close-to-spectacular hotels, gonna book Montage tomorrow.
This is an issue I encounter increasingly frequently post pandemic. I don’t mind paying the big bucks but I expect to enjoy a stellar experience and many venues just do not deliver at current price points.
gudugan and cornwall4000 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.