test
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by grumbler
The pricing is not that far off from Aman Tokyo - not sure how this is going to work.
It's probably like Porsche and Audi. Same owners and core technologies but told to treat each other as competitors.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK *A Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
Give your hard earned money to the few remaining original Aman Amans out there.
What would these Aman Amans be? Looking forward to try one before it's too late.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:26 am

Yes it is a watered down version like all La Bottega toiletries but I am wondering what the scent used in the toiletries are, if anyone knows. I know it is inspired by the Aman Essentials line so it is one of Nourishing, Purifying, Grounding. I think they are all based off Purifying but not positive.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jja34-1
This makes me very sad. Amanjena and Amangiri had such wonderful toiletries that were infused with hints of their locations. I smuggled out quite a bit of body wash from Amanjena (with Petar's blessing) and still have sage bath salts I purchased at Amangiri.
one of the amenities at Amangiri was a pouch containing their toiletries, which I thought at the time was incredibly lame. However we ended up loving the sage infused products at Amangiri and treasured that pouch of toiletries when we got home.

fdw
Ericka, scented and luxefarer like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:27 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Interview with Aman CEO

Article by Skift: Interview with CEO
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Quick thoughts on Amanpuri -

Pre-Arrival - there were a few misses. My original email asking about spa reservations + car transfer was forgotten for 48+ hours and required me to follow up. Upon replying on the follow up, the team forgot a few details as well, in which I then had to go back and clarify - definitely something that could be improved, but I am just chalking it up to a rare miss. I can’t say enough about Donna, who has been checking in with me each day and has been great at communicating.

Arrival - fantastic - no qualms at all. Everything was set up and perfect, especially the upgrade to the partial ocean view w/ pool. I made it known that I do not drink alcohol, but they kept mentioning the free minibar + champagne.

Housekeeping - For the most part, amazing! Room was always tidy and clean when I left and came back. There was one night where I came back from dinner and had to wait outside for about 15 minutes as they were still servicing the room. There was also a case of room service dishes being tidied up, but then left outside by the pool for a day and a half. Not a big issue at all.

Service - The service here is great - they are proactive, and someone seems to just “show up” no matter where I am on property to make sure I was OK. They always brought cold water to me + a towel, etc. There were a few (maybe 3 times) where I keep getting asked if i am here by myself and if I needed a table for two - again, not a big deal. Breakfast is always fun for me because they always remember my preferences, pace, etc. (while on vacation, i typically have a 1.5-2 hour long breakfast, very slowly as I catch up on emails, etc!) - great ala carte breakfast each morning.

Will definitely be back to Amanpuri and the Amans in South East Asia. Europe and others, im on the fence about!
FlyerEC, United747, aphro and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:46 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by Rumples;

There was also a case of room service dishes being tidied up, but then left outside by the pool for a day and a half. Not a big issue at all.
Seems like kind of a big issue. They left dirty dishes out by your pool for a day and a half!?
Fliar and 1readyset2go like this.

Last edited by A4K; Mar 23, 2024 at 8:22 am
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Rumples
Quick thoughts on Amanpuri -

Housekeeping - For the most part, amazing! Room was always tidy and clean when I left and came back. There was one night where I came back from dinner and had to wait outside for about 15 minutes as they were still servicing the room. There was also a case of room service dishes being tidied up, but then left outside by the pool for a day and a half. Not a big issue at all.

Will definitely be back to Amanpuri and the Amans in South East Asia. Europe and others, im on the fence about!
I would not be waiting outside or anywhere else. Unacceptable.
Fliar and United747 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by A4K
Seems like kind of a big issue. They left dirty dishes out by your pool for a day and a half!?
yes, it was hidden, i think just in haste!

Originally Posted by Aventine
I would not be waiting outside or anywhere else. Unacceptable.
was coming back from the Omakase dinner at Nama, and having enjoyed the fireworks as well, was not in a hurried mood at all.

i understand its a miss on their side, but overall fantastic trip and some slip ups. Debating on doing this again in Sept to try again, or head elsewhere to maybe Amanoi
Fliar, FlyerEC and United747 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Very late in posting this, but below is my video of pavilion 104 at Puri from last September (apologies for the video quality...) Rumples post had me reminiscing about my stay

Fliar, offerendum, scented and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:03 pm

United747 - fantastic video and you’re already making me want to go back. Which…is a problem, because since you posted this video at 5:20PM, i have spent the last 2.5 hours looking at my calendar and how I can get back to Puri and maybe pair it with a different property.

I’ll be in Taipei for family//work and then will have some time (about a week) free before I need to head back stateside.

Any thoughts from fellow travelers on the below pairing?

Mid-Sept
Amanpulo + Amanpuri =
  1. 3 nights at each property
  2. end at Amanpuri (for routing reasons via DBX)
or

Cheval Blanc Randheli and roll the dice on Mid-Sept. weather?

I love beach/warm/hot weather, and I know I would love Puri, so ending there is less risky than me loving Puri and then hating Pulo. What I’d REALLY like to do is CBR, but Sept just makes me nervous.
United747 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Are Puri prices not updated or something, or is this really the new normal? $2.5K per night for an entry-level pavilion in February. Somehow the "Detox & Cleaning" package is cheaper (at ~$2K per night), despite it being full board and with activities, which gives me hope that maybe the Standard Daily Rate isn't updated that far out on the calendar or something?

Who is paying almost $3K a night for an entry-level room in Thailand? This is more egregious than the Hawaii or Paris price inflation we've discussed ad nauseum in other threads on this forum.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Are Puri prices not updated or something, or is this really the new normal? $2.5K per night for an entry-level pavilion in February. Somehow the "Detox & Cleaning" package is cheaper (at ~$2K per night), despite it being full board and with activities, which gives me hope that maybe the Standard Daily Rate isn't updated that far out on the calendar or something?

Who is paying almost $3K a night for an entry-level room in Thailand? This is more egregious than the Hawaii or Paris price inflation we've discussed ad nauseum in other threads on this forum.
February is too far out. My suggestion in such situations is always to book the best available cancellable rate and then wait it out to see what offers come between now and circa 6 months prior to your stay.

More generally though, this seems to be the new normal and the crazy prices will be around for a bit longer. If you are interested, there is an ongoing thread in the Luxury Forum on this topic....!
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rumples
United747 - fantastic video and you’re already making me want to go back. Which…is a problem, because since you posted this video at 5:20PM, i have spent the last 2.5 hours looking at my calendar and how I can get back to Puri and maybe pair it with a different property.

I’ll be in Taipei for family//work and then will have some time (about a week) free before I need to head back stateside.

Any thoughts from fellow travelers on the below pairing?

Mid-Sept
Amanpulo + Amanpuri =
  1. 3 nights at each property
  2. end at Amanpuri (for routing reasons via DBX)
or

Cheval Blanc Randheli and roll the dice on Mid-Sept. weather?

I love beach/warm/hot weather, and I know I would love Puri, so ending there is less risky than me loving Puri and then hating Pulo. What I’d REALLY like to do is CBR, but Sept just makes me nervous.
I was at Puri mid-sept last year and it did rain pretty much every day, but it wasn’t a washout.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go back around that time (looking to pair Puri and Noi this time)
FlyerEC, scented and Rumples like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
It seems hotels that have adopted dynamic pricing models felt too confident in doing so because they were swayed by their post-covid results. I think the slow-down seen in some destinations/properties are having hotels re-think and question this strategy. At least, this is what I have been told by a prominent Japanese development company and hotel owner directly, noting cooling numbers.

It's baffling why luxury niche hotels with limited rooms would opt for AI-driven 'dynamic pricing', especially when it results in favoring potential future guests over current loyal ones. Experiencing a sudden surge of 30%-50% in rates after just one room is booked is not welcomed by long-standing clients and feels like exploitation, regardless of their financial capacity. Where hotels used to plan for realistic annual revenue goals (10% or so YoY - covering expenses such as wages, inflation, and renovations), it's now difficult to justify the staggering 150%-200% increases, especially when service and product are lagging behind. The idea seems to be, expensive, for the sake of being expensive.

Ah, but perhaps the hotels brilliantly factoring in the heavy cost of marketing to expand their direct-to-consumer (D2C) business via the wonders of social media advertising. Splurging on compensating affiliates, influencers, and every social media ad platform under the sun—because, you know, that always works wonders for the big players i.e. Marriott, Hyatt, Four Seasons... Forgive my skepticism, but I can't help but chuckle at the thought of this being a well-informed approach for the smaller, boutique, high-end luxury hotels. Who needs loyal clients or trusted advisor partnerships when you can aim for just one goal: revving up the ads, AI pricing, and pack those rooms to the rafters with the masses?! Now that's luxury!....

This whole pricing frenzy at its core seems to be driven by low hanging fruit strategies to appease investors hungry for more growth, but at what expense? The long-term client, perhaps? Left with a sour taste in their mouths and pushed away to explore other options...

Last edited by luxefarer; Mar 29, 2024 at 10:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.