Search

Facing Up to the New Reality — Escalating Luxe Hotel Rates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
Instead of Pellicano in Tuscany, I stay at a lovely, brand-new 4*beachfront hotel in Liguria, which is actually more eager to deliver good service than the former.
To be fair service was quite good. Nevertheless - especially with the recently increased prices - I think your decision is wise.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:33 am

I paid $386 to stay at a below average, new, cheaply built Courtyard by Marriott in Troy, NY, this last weekend.

This isn’t a luxury problem, it is a hotel problem.
janehoya and returnoftheyeti like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by sppunk
I paid $386 to stay at a below average, new, cheaply built Courtyard by Marriott in Troy, NY, this last weekend.

Today's price is $180 as I just checked
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
Today's price is $180 as I just checked
$180 for a Courtyard is still too damn much. I’d pay that for a Spring Hill Suits though. 🤷‍♂️😏
Michaeljinnyc likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 5:39 am

Hotels like the renovated Westin and the Suiran are very very good. I don't know what you define as "luxury" but both of them definitely suffices for me.

It's also worth it to check out other places like Hakone and Nikko. I especially like Hakone. IMO Kyoto is very overrated and overcrowded
In my humble opinion it really depends the location and the options at that location.
We were in Nikko with the family last August and booked Fufu instead of Ritz Carlton. We saved 4000 euro (3 nights) and had an amazing stay. In oktober we went to Utah and paid 5000 euro per night and ate really happy with our choice. Yesterday I stayed at The Adria instead of the Dorchester where I used to stay and saved 700$ for a night but I’m not convinced that it was a wise choice. We have booked Bali for August and will be staying ar Soori, Capella, Alila, The Legian because the traditional luxury chains charge double the rate, We booked Bhutan and decided to stay at Amankora instead of Uma Como because it’s only 13000 more for 8 nights.
Yes, there are options at a lot of locations and it’s really work to explore those options and try them because of the high rates.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:30 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
For Nikko, the RC is only worth using points. I suggest you try the Kai hotel by Hoshino Resorts there.
Hoshino Resorts Kai Nikko is horrible. It's old, dark, worn down and reeks of mold. Food was unimpressive, and service is not bespoke in any way. We stayed in their top Suite, and it did nothing to change our view of this property. Oh, and there's a power line that runs in front of the hotel, obscuring an otherwise decent view of the lake. The only saving grace is the fact that nightly rates are a fraction of RC (not to mention Fufu.) Still, I'd be hard pressed to recommend Kai Nikko to anyone on this forum.

Also - if you're there primarily to check out the historical sites, you really want to be in Nikko proper rather than Oku Nikko, where Hoshino and RC are located.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
There are yet good deals to be had. I just booked five nights in a master pool suite at Casa Que Canta for $500/nt. I didn’t intend to but the combination of outstanding rate and a non-stop flight home overcame my budget sense.
Guessing this isn't for Festive
The most difficult issue with pricing in Mexico is the onerous service/tax charge ranging from 28-35% at luxury hotels. It makes our (almost) 18% in Hawai'i seem reasonable.
KatW, offerendum and United747 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
FWIW, we're paying 250 USD/night for the Ritz NOLA at Christmas. I can't imagine it gets much cheaper than that in the US.

Now NY prices... -shudder-
Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I begin to see some “give” in pricing, e.g., Mexico and Napa. But Paris, London and NYC remain bastions of stratospheric rates.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: all of 'em.
Originally Posted by sppunk

I grew up in Troy NY.
It's so gorgeous.
'The Collar City"!!
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:26 pm

I am not even joking right now....
Old Nov 21, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I don't know why you are surprised. Price is a function of demand, not necessarily how luxurious a property is.
offerendum and gudugan like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

I remember paying around 200 $ for a casita at FS Scottsdale or 250 $ for a Suite at RC Dove Mountain (great hotel at this time). But especially with airport hotels it's extremely a question of demand. Also "trade fair rates" were always crazy in many cities.
gudugan and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:54 am

After a few trips to Paris with our kids staying in the various lux boutique hotels, we've given up and are just doing an AirBNB this time. We can make do without the concierge and breakfast, and for a fairly short stay at the end of a longer trip laundry will be a godsend. It just doesn't make sense to pay 2-3x on a hotel anymore.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by tubulus
After a few trips to Paris with our kids staying in the various lux boutique hotels, we've given up and are just doing an AirBNB this time. We can make do without the concierge and breakfast, and for a fairly short stay at the end of a longer trip laundry will be a godsend. It just doesn't make sense to pay 2-3x on a hotel anymore.
AirBNB has close to zero quality controls and has just gone so far downhill with fees and rules the last couple years, I'd never book them unless it were something like a group trip and we needed a big villa. I value certainty in accommodation quality, privacy, accountability etc much more.
gudugan and ofj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.