Facing Up to the New Reality — Escalating Luxe Hotel Rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Facing Up to the New Reality — Escalating Luxe Hotel Rates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The only reason I've still been able to travel in luxury hotels post-COVID is access to negotiated fixed-price corporate rates. When I look at our rates at Corinthia and Langham in London compared to the rack rate it's like a joke. No idea who is paying those crazy prices.

We just lost our good rate at Andaz Tokyo and PH Tokyo due to the closure of the latter for 2024, and I expect the former decided not to renew our negotiated rate because they anticipate being fully booked all year by those who would have stayed at the PH. All we have now is the GH which is not what I would call luxury but given the prices elsewhere it might be the best I can manage.

I am basically priced out of Kyoto now. I remember when I could stay at the RC for 90,000 JPY a night, and during the most peak time of the year rooms would hit 250,000 and that was crazy. Feels like ancient history now.
Hotels like the renovated Westin and the Suiran are very very good. I don't know what you define as "luxury" but both of them definitely suffices for me.

It's also worth it to check out other places like Hakone and Nikko. I especially like Hakone. IMO Kyoto is very overrated and overcrowded
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
Dubai is a joke. Everything wrong with the 21st century. Only caters to Russian oligarchs and instagram "models".
...and don't forget another trade (as fully in operation at the 'V' or 'Five' or however this so-called place to be is called)
neuromancerLKLB likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:30 am

Comparing Tokyo hotel prices from 2019 vs 2023 making my eyes water. Aman Tokyo less than $1,000/n for the base suite in 2019 now it's $2,500.
United747 and gudugan like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hotels like the renovated Westin and the Suiran are very very good. I don't know what you define as "luxury" but both of them definitely suffices for me.

It's also worth it to check out other places like Hakone and Nikko. I especially like Hakone. IMO Kyoto is very overrated and overcrowded
I’m at Suiran next month for a rate far less than what they’re charging now, having booked a year in advance before things escalated further. I am a many time guest and generally get upgraded to a one of the four suites but even it is creeping out of my price range.

I stayed once at the renovated Westin back in March and it probably is the way to go when paying cash.

RC Nikko very expensive. I didn’t think they’d be able to sustain the rates but somehow they have.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:12 am

I’m at Suiran next month for a rate far less than what they’re charging now, having booked a year in advance before things escalated further. I am a many time guest and generally get upgraded to a one of the four suites but even it is creeping out of my price range.

I stayed once at the renovated Westin back in March and it probably is the way to go when paying cash.

RC Nikko very expensive. I didn’t think they’d be able to sustain the rates but somehow they have.
Have a look at the Fujiya hotel in Hakone or the Hyatt Regency. Stayed at both and especially enjoyed the Hyatt. However, the Fujiya is the first hotel in Hakone and a lot more historic and distinctive.

For Nikko, the RC is only worth using points. I suggest you try the Kai hotel by Hoshino Resorts there.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by bigdog2
Comparing Tokyo hotel prices from 2019 vs 2023 making my eyes water. Aman Tokyo less than $1,000/n for the base suite in 2019 now it's $2,500.
The only hotels that have sustained their 2019 prices are the Conrad, GH and the Imperial hotel. The Okura also is only a bit pricier
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:16 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by callmedtop
All about choosing the destination. I won’t be going back to Paris for a while, but avidly planning trips to areas that haven’t seen such intense inflation.
Same. We are headed to Malaysia, Cambodia, and Laos on two separate trips this winter. We're going to Tasmania including Saffire then on to Southern Ocean Lodge. Next spring we'll go to Albania and Montenegro, ending in Vienna. We are very much about the destination which might or might not have luxury properties. We have some solid mid tier properties that will be just fine, especially in the suites that we've booked. I'm also happy to use points, particularly at strong Hyatt properties.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Same. We are headed to Malaysia, Cambodia, and Laos on two separate trips this winter. We're going to Tasmania including Saffire then on to Southern Ocean Lodge. Next spring we'll go to Albania and Montenegro, ending in Vienna. We are very much about the destination which might or might not have luxury properties. We have some solid mid tier properties that will be just fine, especially in the suites that we've booked. I'm also happy to use points, particularly at strong Hyatt properties.
Does your itinerary include the Datai Langkawi?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:20 am
Community Director Emerita

Does your itinerary include the Datai Langkawi?
No. Debated at length whether to return to Langkawi but in the end chose Sabah as it is new to us and other places within Malaysia.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
No. Debated at length whether to return to Langkawi but in the end chose Sabah as it is new to us and other places within Malaysia.
Ah what a pity. But luckily you're going to Vienna! Have always wanted to check the new Rosewood out.

Assuming your stay in Montenegro is Regent Porto Montenegro or the One and Only, I have been told they are where all the Russian oligarchs docks their yachts and hang out.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Michael82
Russians are driving the prices at top hotels in dubai.

and in europe it’s mostly the US people that are willing to pay it all and are driving the prices up🤷‍♂️

i think its absolutely ridiculous to pay 2000+ euro a night at lake como. ... for?!??
and your source of information is?

oops, forgot it is “flyertalk” not “flyerfacts”
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Have a look at the Fujiya hotel in Hakone or the Hyatt Regency. Stayed at both and especially enjoyed the Hyatt. However, the Fujiya is the first hotel in Hakone and a lot more historic and distinctive.

For Nikko, the RC is only worth using points. I suggest you try the Kai hotel by Hoshino Resorts there.
There are no hotels that I would consider true luxury in Hakone.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:38 am

There are no hotels that I would consider true luxury in Hakone.
Not even Gora Kadan? Man your standards are high.

Regardless, the place is amazing. Come for the scenery not the hotels.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Michael82
i think its absolutely ridiculous to pay 2000+ euro a night at lake como. ... for?!??
Lake Como was always expensive, that's nothing new. I will never judge or even disrespect people who pay OR pay not a rate, for which reason ever.
I would be also very careful to "blame" ethics groups for prices. This said of course price for example in some Carribean countries are higher, as they are beach-destinations and easy to reach from big American cities with many people who are willing to stay and pay. Same with Mallorca and Germans. Of course you are willing to pay some extra bugs if you able to reach a destination with relative short flight (so for example for a weekend trip) instead of a long haul flight.

Last edited by offerendum; Nov 3, 2023 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:18 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Kyoto makes me cry. 402700 JPY ++ for a PH 1 King Bed Garden View during the peak koyo Fall colors period later this month. 454000 JPY ++ at FS Kyoto. It is definitely demand and because these properties know people will fill those rooms.
Having now stayed in a Kyoto PH 1 King bed Garden View suite, I have to say that I prefer an Executive suite at the Hyatt Regency (and on the random peak cherry blossom date I checked it was about Y200,000). Plus, unless they've downgraded it since I was last there, the breakfast at the HR was a lot better.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 3, 2023 at 10:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.