Wiki Posts
Search

Facing Up to the New Reality — Escalating Luxe Hotel Rates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Some of it is inflation, lots of it is just demand ("revenge travel"). When I talk to GMs, lots of them are telling me they are selling less rooms at higher rates, which ends up working better because of staff shortages. So they'd rather focus on less volume at higher revenue.

I think some of it will come down eventually, but not to pre-pandemic levels.

Looking at rates in Paris and Dubai... haha!
Kyoto makes me cry. 402700 JPY ++ for a PH 1 King Bed Garden View during the peak koyo Fall colors period later this month. 454000 JPY ++ at FS Kyoto. It is definitely demand and because these properties know people will fill those rooms.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Aventine
. It is definitely demand and because these properties know people will fill those rooms.
Yes, many of these hotels with crazy prices are sold out. But it's only one part. It's also a fact that 70% occupancy rate with 2000 average rate is better for a hotel than 100% with 1000 average.
gudugan likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I travel more than most “luxury” travellers (up to 200 nights a year) and so I have a different perspective than most. What’s been interesting is that there has been a massive concentration in US/ “Oligarch” locations and US chains where prices have increased in luxury hotels often by 300-400%. Meanwhile, if you go either nearby geographically or in a non-US marketed hotel or to an equivalent place without equal fame, prices are often lower on an inflation-rated basis to what they were in 2019.

I’ve always enjoyed luxury, but never enjoyed the jet set. In this new reality when I can pay 80% less to avoid an absolute circus of bad service and socially irresponsible customers, I do somewhat miss the kind of priorities well known on this forum.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Yes, many of these hotels with crazy prices are sold out. But it's only one part. It's also a fact that 70% occupancy rate with 2000 average rate is better for a hotel than 100% with 1000 average.
Honestly, I think East Asia is doing 100% occupancy with top market prices. My local PH was definitely at capacity and charging the new high, normal this past weekend.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by KatW

Bulgari Hotel Paris

Price per night: Ł1,319

That's actually a pretty good price for that hotel.. You will usually see it in the 1800-2300 range..
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:38 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The only reason I've still been able to travel in luxury hotels post-COVID is access to negotiated fixed-price corporate rates. When I look at our rates at Corinthia and Langham in London compared to the rack rate it's like a joke. No idea who is paying those crazy prices.

We just lost our good rate at Andaz Tokyo and PH Tokyo due to the closure of the latter for 2024, and I expect the former decided not to renew our negotiated rate because they anticipate being fully booked all year by those who would have stayed at the PH. All we have now is the GH which is not what I would call luxury but given the prices elsewhere it might be the best I can manage.

I am basically priced out of Kyoto now. I remember when I could stay at the RC for 90,000 JPY a night, and during the most peak time of the year rooms would hit 250,000 and that was crazy. Feels like ancient history now.
gudugan likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:14 pm

Come to Shanghai! Great sunny weather at 20-25 degrees and beautiful fall leaves.

Most importantly luxury hotel rates are the same or lower to 2019
FlyerEC, nk15, gudugan and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
in London compared to the rack rate it's like a joke. No idea who is paying those crazy prices.
Rack Rates were always crazy at many hotels, but you more or less never pay them.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:49 am

Russians are driving the prices at top hotels in dubai.

and in europe it’s mostly the US people that are willing to pay it all and are driving the prices up🤷‍♂️

i think its absolutely ridiculous to pay 2000+ euro a night at lake como. ... for?!??
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I travel more than most “luxury” travellers (up to 200 nights a year) and so I have a different perspective than most. What’s been interesting is that there has been a massive concentration in US/ “Oligarch” locations and US chains where prices have increased in luxury hotels often by 300-400%. Meanwhile, if you go either nearby geographically or in a non-US marketed hotel or to an equivalent place without equal fame, prices are often lower on an inflation-rated basis to what they were in 2019.

I’ve always enjoyed luxury, but never enjoyed the jet set. In this new reality when I can pay 80% less to avoid an absolute circus of bad service and socially irresponsible customers, I do somewhat miss the kind of priorities well known on this forum.
Agreed - I recently came back from Abu Dhabi where the St Regis was half price compared to the RC in Dubai (and better - admittedly both not Luxury properties)
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC
You can't blame the hotels for trying to make as much money as possible by increasing rates to levels where they think they can achieve a high rate of return. They are businesses after all. I think we are seeing similar trends within the airline industry. First/Business Class fares are increasing whilst economy fares are remaining at prices similar or lower to pre-pandemic prices. Europe to NYC next week is Ł299 (Ł370 dollars) return with a choice of carriers - AA, AF, Delta. As we edge towards this "soft landing" or recession that is predicted, those with less disposable income tighten their belts first.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:10 am

There are still a few people - some on this forum - who are willing to pay over $10k per night at a sick joke establishment like Soneva Secret, opening next year in the Maldives. That rate includes your room thing plus taxes but not food. Also, you have someone called a 'Barefoot Guardian.' I think this used to be known as a butler. Can't wait for feedback on toenails.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
We're in the middle of an Aussie trip and prices are basically what they were pre-COVID as far as I know. Saffire and Qualia aren’t cheap but they never were. Capella Sydney was less than $500 a night for a non-base room.

All about choosing the destination. I won’t be going back to Paris for a while, but avidly planning trips to areas that haven’t seen such intense inflation.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by United747
I’m in Dubai next week just for a night, and actually did “laugh out loud” at what some places are asking.
Stayed at the Conrad Dubai for $70 a night in 2019...
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Agreed - I recently came back from Abu Dhabi where the St Regis was half price compared to the RC in Dubai (and better - admittedly both not Luxury properties)
Dubai is a joke. Everything wrong with the 21st century. Only caters to Russian oligarchs and instagram "models".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.