Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any luxury between London and LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2023, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Any luxury between London and LHR?

We would like to visit some properties about two-thirds of the way from London to Heathrow, Syon House, Hampton Court Palace, Osterley Park and Strawberry Hill House. Are there any luxury properties in that general area?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:37 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Cliveden House and Coworth Park are both near Heathrow
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a Landmark Trust flat you can rent at Hampton Court Palace, by either the half week or full week. It's not super-luxurious but it is nice and the experience of wandering Hampton Court when the grounds are closed to the public is unique. However, it is popular and has to be booked well in advance typically.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/sea...7805/#Overview
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Cliveden House and Coworth Park are both near Heathrow
Alas, those are as far from Syon House, etc. as Syon House, etc. is from London. They do look nicer than anything I can find closer.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There is a Landmark Trust flat you can rent at Hampton Court Palace, by either the half week or full week. It's not super-luxurious but it is nice and the experience of wandering Hampton Court when the grounds are closed to the public is unique. However, it is popular and has to be booked well in advance typically.

That would be ideal if it had availability and didn't have minimum stay requirements.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:00 am

These places are rather awkward to get to - whether by public transport or by private car when parking would prove to be a nightmare. If you plan getting a limo/chauffeur you may just as well stay in Central London or the Kensington/Knightsbridge area. On the outer fringe there is the Beaverbrook and I think there was a Waldorf Astoria in the Syon Park area but I seem to think it was demoted to Hilton status. Near to Heathrow is Great Fosters, contemporaneous with Hampton Court, where I have stayed a few times. The garden there is beyond spectacular, one of the great gardens of Europe, which hardly anyone knows about. The hotel also has a rather splendid restaurant, recently reviewed by Andy Hayler.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
The Savoy

Check out The Savoy.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
These places are rather awkward to get to - whether by public transport or by private car when parking would prove to be a nightmare. If you plan getting a limo/chauffeur you may just as well stay in Central London or the Kensington/Knightsbridge area. On the outer fringe there is the Beaverbrook and I think there was a Waldorf Astoria in the Syon Park area but I seem to think it was demoted to Hilton status. Near to Heathrow is Great Fosters, contemporaneous with Hampton Court, where I have stayed a few times. The garden there is beyond spectacular, one of the great gardens of Europe, which hardly anyone knows about. The hotel also has a rather splendid restaurant, recently reviewed by Andy Hayler.
There's a Hilton Syon Park which is close to properties we want to visit - Syon House, Hampton Court Palace, Osterley Park and Strawberry Hill House. It's been our leading candidate. From the limited photos, the hard product looks good. It must be the demoted WA. Going back and forth from central London is a bit much, since these are too much to see in one day.

Great Fosters could be good, but it's on the other side of LHR and the Hilton is much closer to the places we want to see. But if Great Fosters has one of the great gardens and a great restaurant we might check those out. We're major fans of great gardens.

Great Fosters garden is reviewed very favorably in our Good Gardens Guide, which is a major plus, in addition to your review.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Check out The Savoy.
The one in London? We're looking for something closer to Syon House, Hampton Court Palace, Osterley Park and Strawberry Hill House.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:08 pm

South West London is home for us so unfortunately it isn’t somewhere we stay regularly in Luxury Hotels but have you considered staying Richmond - it’s a beautiful town (where Ted Lasso is filmed) with great access to all those locations (and 10 minutes from Kew Gardens). The Richmond Hill Hotel (around the corner from where Mick Jagger lives) is the classic option and while not super luxury, is likely to offer more interest than a Hilton. Alternatively, the Bingham Hotel has a stunning location on the river and used to offer boutique luxury with a Michelin starred restaurant but has been through a couple of management changes so no idea what it is like now.
KatW, richarddd and susanc like this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Check out The Savoy.
Just outside the city😉

It's a shame WA Syon Park was let down, it was not bad after it opened. But no market and no support.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
South West London is home for us so unfortunately it isn’t somewhere we stay regularly in Luxury Hotels but have you considered staying Richmond - it’s a beautiful town (where Ted Lasso is filmed) with great access to all those locations (and 10 minutes from Kew Gardens). The Richmond Hill Hotel (around the corner from where Mick Jagger lives) is the classic option and while not super luxury, is likely to offer more interest than a Hilton. Alternatively, the Bingham Hotel has a stunning location on the river and used to offer boutique luxury with a Michelin starred restaurant but has been through a couple of management changes so no idea what it is like now.
This sort of response is so helpful. A model for others of us here.
obscure2k, susanc and Nizar like this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
Richmond Hill Hotel looks promising. If it has nice service it seems the best alternative, although the décor is not my favorite. https://bookings.travelclick.com/......h_enhanced.jpg

The largest room at the Bingham Hotel is 24m2, which is much too small for us.

The Hilton gets an interesting range of reviews - views certainly differ. Here's a FT thread starting with opening as a WA: Hilton London Syon Park (was Waldorf Astoria Syon Park) {GBR} The hard product could be good (perhaps similar to the RIchmond Hill), but service could be an issue. Some pictures at https://www.turningleftforless.com/s...and-many-more/ if anyone cares.

It's possible we're the only people who want a hotel convenient to Syon House, Hampton Court Palace, Osterley Park and Strawberry Hill House.

Last edited by richarddd; Jul 29, 2023 at 5:15 pm
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at Great Fosters (although not recently) and don't remember it as a luxury hotel at all. But that was at least a decade ago.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've stayed at Great Fosters (although not recently) and don't remember it as a luxury hotel at all. But that was at least a decade ago.
I can confirm that.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:33 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
what type of luxury ? food ?

Originally Posted by richarddd
We would like to visit some properties about two-thirds of the way from London to Heathrow, Syon House, Hampton Court Palace, Osterley Park and Strawberry Hill House. Are there any luxury properties in that general area?
You can stay at the "big" properties with their overpriced rooms (Cliveden ) and "enjoy" the company of the British "nouveau riche chavs" or opt for the Waterside Inn at Bray on Thames (22 minutes from LHR terminal 2) and enjoy a three Michelin star dinner cooked by an European team. They have simpler rooms (where I stay in general), but also a couple of spectacular suites facing river Thames. And Maggie Fairbrother (the reservation manager) is as pleasant as it gets.
KatW likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:22 pm

Bray is a gastronomic heaven! Pleasant but not super luxury rooms at the Waterside Inn but you have 2 x 3* Michelin restaurants (Waterside Inn and the Fat Duck) within 3 minutes walk, the Hinds Head (1* Michelin - Heston Blumenthal’s smart pub) and the Crown (Michelin Bib Gourmand and Heston’s “traditional pub” serving great quality British dishes with a more local feel) all in the same village. It’s beautiful but if you want to see Osterley, Strawberry Hill House etc, it’s a long drive. If you don’t want to stay in Richmond, I’d probably think about somewhere like MO Knightsbridge, which (with the Piccadilly line tube) has great connections to Osterley and Richmond (change to District at Hammersmith) which will take c. 30 minutes. (Traffic around West London can be pretty bad so getting tube out of town and then a car can save a lot of time especially at rush hour.

To add, one of the nicest ways to get to/from Hampton Court is to go by river from Richmond - it’s a beautiful route and you arrive in the way the Kings and Queens would have done in its heyday.

Last edited by EfficientTraveller; Jul 30, 2023 at 1:25 pm Reason: To add detail re boat to Hampton Court

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.