Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone ever been to Apulia (Italy)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2023, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Has anyone ever been to Apulia (Italy)?

Hello travellers! I would love to hear your experience in this remote and wonderful part of Italy!!
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:16 am
Community Director Emerita

We went in 2021.
  • San Michele Suite, Polignano a Mare
  • **Palazzo Daniele, Salento
  • **Le Fiermontina, Lecce
  • Palazzo Viceconte, Matera
I've starred the two I considered luxurious, either in the property or the treatment. Palazzo Daniele had great atmosphere. Le Fiermontina had great service and the town of Lecce is very interesting.

These days Puglia has become very trendy and you are spoiled for choice.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We went in 2021.
I've starred the two I considered luxurious, either in the property or the treatment. Palazzo Daniele had great atmosphere. Le Fiermontina had great service and the town of Lecce is very interesting.

Stayed at St Michele and Fiermontina and loved both. Fiermontina and Lecce are quite exceptional.
Opentoapulia likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Opentoapulia
Hello travellers! I would love to hear your experience in this remote and wonderful part of Italy!!
Welcome to Flyertalk Opentoapulia I suggest looking at the Italy Forum for more information. Go to:destinations>Europe>Italy
Old Jun 18, 2023, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

We went in 2021.

​​​​​​
Thank you so much for your feedback!! It helps a lot! May I ask how long you stayed in Puglia for? And approx budget for the whole trip? Only if you wish to answer these questions!
Thank you!!
Old Jun 18, 2023, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Stayed at St Michele and Fiermontina and loved both. Fiermontina and Lecce are quite exceptional.
Thanks a lot Erik123. Much appreciated!
Old Jun 18, 2023, 5:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

May I ask how long you stayed in Puglia for? And approx budget for the whole trip?
We were in Puglia for a week and a half. This is the luxury hotel forum, so properties we recommend here are high. Our trip was during Covid and we got some price concessions. That's not the case now. I looked at one property where we stayed and see prices are significantly higher. I encourage you to look at websites, determine which room will satisfy you, and what the price is for that room. This is your first post on FlyerTalk. Perhaps you truly want to be in the luxury hotel forum. Perhaps the Italy forum would suit you more. A few minutes poking at hotel websites will help you determine that. I will say that prices in Puglia are less than those from Rome and north.
obscure2k and RichardInSF like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 3:08 am

​​​​​​
Thank you so much for your feedback!! It helps a lot! May I ask how long you stayed in Puglia for? And approx budget for the whole trip? Only if you wish to answer these questions!
Thank you!!
My trip there in 2021 was nothing like luxury but I'm glad to help if you like - just ask
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:04 am

We went in 2021.

I am in Puglia now. As far as recommended hotels, I would first start by saying Puglia is fairly large region and once you get off the main highway the roads quickly get very narrow so distance is not always a good indicator of travel time. Therefore, I recommend choosing hotels that work well with your planned itinerary.

In the far south I know of two good properties:
* La Fiermontina in Lecce, where we stayed in 2019 (endorsing the recommendation from the earlier post)
* Baglioni Masseria Muzza in Otranto, where I have not stayed but I have read is very nice

The drive from Lecce through to Otranto and hugging the coastal road down to the very tip of the heel in to Santa Maria di Leuce was stunning.

Further north, in Savelettri, I can recommend two very luxurious hotels:
* Borgo Egnazia (we are here now)
* Masseria Torre Maizza (we stayed here in 2019 and had dinner there last night)

Borgo is a fully re-created Puglian village and is, by far, our favorite property in Puglia. The Borgo is about 10 minutes by car from Torre Maizza. But the hotel is very different as it is more resort style and larger. In 2019 we stayed at both hotels. It was nice to balance the two experiences. While Savelettri itself is nothing to speak of, the location is excellent to visit the popular Puglian towns of Locorotondo, Ostuni, Alberobello and Noci.

Torre Maizza is a fully renovated farm house estate. The hotel is owned by Rocce Forte Hotels. This chain is affiliated with such properties as Brown's Hotel and the Balmoral in the U.K. and the Hotel de Russie in Rome. Highly recommended, balancing authentic charm with modern luxury.

I might add both hotels have beach clubs. We are only familiar with the one at Borgo. I am writing this post from there now. Puglian summers are steamy hot and having access to this pretty spot is a true benefit.

Heading up the coast approximately 45 minutes from Savelettri, I also recommend San Michele Suites in Polignano a Mare (just left there yesterday). San Michele is a tiny property in the centro historic of Polignano perched over a stunning cliff side location. We had the only room with a full terrace perched over the rocky coast and the small beach below full of mostly Italian vacationers.

North of Polignano, I don’t know of other luxurious Puglian properties. We also recommend a day trip to Matera. It is about 1.5 hours by car from Savelettri (somewhat shorter drive from Polignano). While technically not in Puglia, its centro historico is truly a sight to behold. Google it and you will see.

And, I also agree that Puglia has on trend (almost too much so). Prices since 2019 have skyrocketed. We stayed at Borgo 4 years ago and paid 640 E for a medium grade room nightly. This year? 1050E, ouch! And we booked almost a year ago. Current pricing continues to escalate from there.
obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 21, 2023 at 9:00 am Reason: ubb code corrected
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:14 pm

How would you rate the following itinerary ?

Masseria Torre Maizza - 4 nights
La Fiermontina - 2 nights
Hotel Baglioni Masseria Mezza - 3 nights
La Sommita - 1 night

I'm afraid to have a bit of "downward trend" in the hotels. Flying in Bari and out of Brindisi in the (early) morning. Other properties I've been interested in but can't fit in are Palazzo Daniele (2 nights min. stay) and Paragon 700 (3 nights min. stay).
ABG likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:15 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by MtlChris
How would you rate the following itinerary ?
It is a lot of changing hotels. I wouldn't go all the way down to where the Baglioni is if you are staying already at Masseria Torre Maizza.
Have you considered Palazzo-Margherita or the new'ish Santavenere to fill in those extra nights.
go habs go!
MtlChris likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ABG
It is a lot of changing hotels. I wouldn't go all the way down to where the Baglioni is if you are staying already at Masseria Torre Maizza.
Have you considered Palazzo-Margherita or the new'ish Santavenere to fill in those extra nights.
go habs go!
Aren't the Palazzo Margherita and Santavanere several hours of west of Puglia?

Is there a reason you don't suggest heading to the Otranto area if you are also hitting Polignano a Mare? We have a similar plan for a slightly longer trip in and out of Naples (though maybe not as high end)
- 3 nights Polignano a Mare - Masseria le Torri
- 2 nights Gallipoli- Biancodonda
- 2 nights Otranto- Baglioni Masseria Muzza
- 4 nights Lecce - Palazzo de Noha
- 3 nights Ostuni - La Sommita

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 23, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 24, 2024, 10:50 am

Stayed at Borgo Egnazia October 2021 and highly recommend it. As mentioned above the recreation of a historic Apulian village makes for a unique and special resort experience. The service was warm and exceptional, the food in all restaurants was delicious (I even still dream about the bread, stuffed zucchini flowers, wine offerings, breakfast, and pistachio gelato with olive oil), and the spa was heavenly. Unfortunately, I didn't get to experience the beach club as it was unseasonably cold and rainy for the top of October. The resort is tucked away from a lot of the other towns, but it makes for a nice drive around this corner of Italy. Can't wait to go back for a longer and warmer visit.
ABG and MtlChris like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:34 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Aren't the Palazzo Margherita and Santavanere several hours of west of Puglia?
......We have a similar plan for a slightly longer trip in and out of Naples
West of Puglia is a bit of a statement as the region is almost 8000 Square miles. Last I checked, Naples is also West of Puglia. MTLCHRIS was asking for ideas, so I gave him/her some.

Last edited by ABG; Jan 24, 2024 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ABG
West of Puglia is a bit of a statement as the region is almost 8000 Square miles. Last I checked, Naples is also West of Puglia. MTLCHRIS was asking for ideas, so I gave him/her some.
It seems we are talking past each other. I am aware I am flying out of Naples. (And did not discuss what I was doing in Naples in this thread).The person asking for advice, however, specified they are not. Given the possibility that there were perhaps other propertjes in Puglia with the same name, I was clarifying whether you were referring to properties four hours away or perhaps there was one in the region that was the topic of the thread.

I'm not sure what the size of Puglia has to do with it. Santavanere is a three hour drive west from the western most part of Puglia, so by all accounts my statement is accurate. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.