Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

The Green O vs. Amangani, or somewhere else (Montana, Wyoming, USA)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2023, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Looking for a place to have a small luxurious elopement- just us and a photographer. We're currently considering a winter event in Montana, and are looking at those two resorts, but there are not many reviews of Green O, and I thought I'd ask if anyone here has been recently. I did find some not-great stuff here, but it looked pre-pandemic.
the phoenix and ajca like this.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Been to both recently. And your question resulted in a long discussion between me and my wife. These are both stellar resorts. But these are very different resorts with very different vibes.

- If you are a foodie, Green-o wins by a knockout. Easily the best restaurant in a hotel/resort by a wide margin. Green-o beats anything in the world. And this includes those starred places in LV and NYC. The only negative for GO food/beverage is that GO doesn't have a professional bartender. But Amangani doesn’t even have a bar and this is one of the biggest mistakes in its design. We've been to Amangani 4x, and the food has been poor.

- For outdoor activities, it is probably a wash, with a slight edge to Green-o. All activities at Amangani are off property and a fair distance away. All activities at Green-o are on the property and there are lots of activities. If you want to be active and do things, Green-o wins.

- if you want mountain views and scenery, Amangani wins. Actually, 'Gani may have the best views of any hotel in the world. Green-o is deep in a forest, with no mountains visible. Watching snowstorms from your room at 'Gani is jaw dropping. Just spectacular.

We think Amangani wins.
Old May 7, 2023, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the thoughtful response- and please thank your wife for me. You've given us definite food for thought. Activities aren't important- we want to arrive a day before, get married, relax for a couple of days and go home. Scenery is important, definitely.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 10:53 am

You might want to check out Magee Homestead, the adults only property at Brush Creek Ranch in Saratoga Wyoming. Many activities, great scenery, good food, a real bartender.
maybemaybenot likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by maybemaybenot
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response- and please thank your wife for me. You've given us definite food for thought. Activities aren't important- we want to arrive a day before, get married, relax for a couple of days and go home. Scenery is important, definitely.
The Green O is located in a beautiful area for sure. But, the beauty is more subdued versus Amangani. With the Green O think woodsy, rolling hills with mountains in the back ground. The drive from Missoula to the Green O is lovely. At Amangani those Teton's really pop! The pool and I imagine the spa area at Amangani, is better since the Green O only has tents for spa treatments, and no official spa area, plus no pool. Unless you are a foodie, the Green O might be wasted on you.

Are you ok with being in very low temperatures? I personally could only consider these unless it was summer or fall. I like to stay at the FS Jackson Hole, and have only had a meal at Amangani. I liked both the Green O, and the Four Seasons, but the FS

The Green O Tree Haus
/ Tetons have always pulled me back ( like 5 or 6 times.)
maybemaybenot and offerendum like this.
Old May 7, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Congratulations on your upcoming elopement.

I want to give a huge plus one to the Tetons - spectacular. Although there are many places with fabulous views (and we stayed at a reasonably priced one that you should not even consider) Amangani sounds perfect for you. A forest view of snow falling can be seen....anywhere....there are trees and snow.

But I have to ask 2 questions, if you don't mind....are you bringing the photographer "with you" - or hiring a local one?

And I have to say, and this is just silly, but Green O just speaks to me as the Big Green Egg barbecue grill. I saw that it's located in Greenough, MT, so cute props for the name.

But are you all used to winter driving coming from AZ?

When we were in the Tetons we stopped for the views at Jackson Lake Lodge, Jenny Lake Lodge, and where we stayed (Signal Mountain), and it is so cool how the views of the Tetons change based on the perspective.

Will you fly into Jackson Hole airport? What is plan B if the weather is miserable/roads unpassable?
maybemaybenot likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Eujeanie, thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. We hadn't got as far as transportation- but my fiance comes from a snowy area , and we visit it, he feels confident in driving as long as we rent an appropriate vehicle ( I don't see well enough to drive). We're mainly trying to figure out if we could have the experience we want doing this. As of right now, we would be bringing the photographer along as we've found someone in our price range we really like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.