Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:53 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Mods: my Expert Reviews for both the RC Kyoto and StR Osaka have disappeared. Can someone look into that tomorrow?
Fixed. When these issues occur, please post in the Tech Forum, with links to the reviews. Otherwise we won't see this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:24 am

Is there a thread for luxury hotels IN Toyko anymore? The last one was closed and the final post appears to be a dead link? Or is this now the thread for all Japan?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Cynicor
Is there a thread for luxury hotels IN Toyko anymore? The last one was closed and the final post appears to be a dead link? Or is this now the thread for all Japan?
There’s nothing stopping you from starting the next Tokyo hotel thread
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:10 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Yes, this is the new thread for Tokyo luxury hotels:

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Trying to decide where to stay for 3 nights in Osaka next month.

I'm currently booked at the Marriott Miyako. It looks super modern and sleek. Love the high ceiling lobby and the overall modern feel. It is also rated #2 on Tripadvisor.

However, after reading through some reviews here, it makes me wonder if I should stay at the St Regis instead. The price difference is only $120 for 3 nights, so $40 a night.

I'm traveling with my mother, so I want something nice, but at the same time she's told me many of the older/grand hotels we stayed at were too stuffy or dated. I'm also a little hesitant because the SR does not even have a Japanese restaurant.

Should I go with the SR given the small price difference?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by SP03
I would suggest deciding based on personal preference, location, etc... This is a higher end Marriott, so I would not base the decision on branding.

But I will say that I have a friend who regularly gets upgraded to suites at StR Osaka as an SPG Platinum member, even on a low corporate rate. He raves about that as amazing value, and I believe it. I do not know how generous Marriott’s upgrade policies are.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

You should choose based on what matters most to you.

If amazing service and/or luxury ambience are a priority, the StR is the better bet. If more modern decor, the Marriott (actually the Conrad is incredibly modern and swank if you can get a great rate and also has the best, most incredible views in town). If location is an issue, pick the one that works best. If getting Platinum recognition is a priority, the StR is the obvious choice, especially for a mere $40.

If you’ve never stayed at a StR, this is a great one—and it’s more more modern than it is grand, while still having that classic impressive ambience.

The StR Italian restaurant may be Italian, but it’s sublime. Almost Michelin worthy.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:28 pm

I do not know how Marriott upgrades Platinum members, but as SPG Platinum I think StR for $40 more per night is a no-brainer. Suite upgrade is likely.

It does not matter that there is no on site Japanese restaurant. You can have any Japanese cuisine you want in Osaka and its environs.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like St Regis it is! I doubt that I'll get a suite since I need two beds, but I don't really need a living room. I'd rather spend time in the outdoor garden or out an about in the city.

I have only stayed at the St Regis in Aspen and wasn't super impressed. But seems like this may be one of the better ones?

I just feel a little bad cancelling on the Marriott since the concierge is super helpful and already told me she's getting a small birthday surprise ;-)

Is the Japanese breakfast set option available for Platinum breakfast? or is there a surcharge for that?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like St Regis it is! I doubt that I'll get a suite since I need two beds, but I don't really need a living room. I'd rather spend time in the outdoor garden or out an about in the city.

I have only stayed at the St Regis in Aspen and wasn't super impressed. But seems like this may be one of the better ones?

I just feel a little bad cancelling on the Marriott since the concierge is super helpful and already told me she's getting a small birthday surprise ;-)

Is the Japanese breakfast set option available for Platinum breakfast? or is there a surcharge for that?
Glad to be of help!

Specific Plat questions are better directed to the StR Osaka thread in the Starwood Forum; this Luxury Forum isn’t the appropriate place for that.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
And seems to be getting more popular every day! Reservations for some restaurants are so hard to come by these days
I think you might be overestimating the effect of both trends and non-Japanese customers. In some well-known traditional Japanese restaurants, people have been booking a year ahead for decades.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
July Trip to Japan

Hi All,

I've been following this thread (and all the others about luxury Japan [for years... really,]) and we're starting our planning for a July trip this summer. We're 2 families with small children 2yrs & 5yrs traveling for my sister's 40th bday. Based on all I've read here's what we're thinking about so far:

4 Nights Tokyo Aman
2 Nights Hakone - Hyatt or Gora Kadan
4 Nights Kyoto RC
4 Nights Amanemu
2 Nights Osaka StR

My biggest question is around Hakone, we'd like to do some hiking around Mt Fuji so Hakone seemed like the best place to do that. There's so much negativity around Gora Kadan but the Hyatt seems fairly corporate and lacking luxury. If you knew all of the negatives going into GK (the smell, the food.. etc.) and had reasonable expectations would it still have been as bad? It's also a uniquely Japanese experience. We're traveling with vegetarians (i understand they will accommodate food requests in advance.) and children (they are reportedly family friendly.) It just seems like a more interesting experience (and I think i'd prefer rolling the dice with GK rather than knowing HR will be mediocre.) Or do we scrap Hakone and pick somewhere else?

I open to suggestions on timing if we're spending too little or too much in some places. It's an ambitious trip, I know, especially with littles, but we are up for it (I think.) We are aware of the heat and possible rain, but we've got both in NYC and would rather be traveling.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:58 am

Is this the first time in Japan? Either way, Amanemu is a little out of the way and I'm not sure it's worth the distance. Sure it's an Aman, but with the number of amazing Ryokan's scattered through the Honshu, I'm not sure I would make the trek there. Perhaps consider Asaba instead? We had a great time there for our honeymoon (see trip report). I haven't stayed in Osaka, but I found with the JR Pass, it's very easy to get there from Kyoto. We initially just used Kyoto as a hub and visited Osaka for dinner/drinks/tourism, then returned back.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by cjthekid
Hi All,

I've been following this thread (and all the others about luxury Japan [for years... really,]) and we're starting our planning for a July trip this summer. We're 2 families with small children 2yrs & 5yrs traveling for my sister's 40th bday. Based on all I've read here's what we're thinking about so far:

4 Nights Tokyo Aman
2 Nights Hakone - Hyatt or Gora Kadan
4 Nights Kyoto RC
4 Nights Amanemu
2 Nights Osaka StR

My biggest question is around Hakone, we'd like to do some hiking around Mt Fuji so Hakone seemed like the best place to do that. There's so much negativity around Gora Kadan but the Hyatt seems fairly corporate and lacking luxury. If you knew all of the negatives going into GK (the smell, the food.. etc.) and had reasonable expectations would it still have been as bad? It's also a uniquely Japanese experience. We're traveling with vegetarians (i understand they will accommodate food requests in advance.) and children (they are reportedly family friendly.) It just seems like a more interesting experience (and I think i'd prefer rolling the dice with GK rather than knowing HR will be mediocre.) Or do we scrap Hakone and pick somewhere else?

I open to suggestions on timing if we're spending too little or too much in some places. It's an ambitious trip, I know, especially with littles, but we are up for it (I think.) We are aware of the heat and possible rain, but we've got both in NYC and would rather be traveling.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
yamonochya in hakone 👍🏻
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hakone is not that near to Fuji. There are hikes there, but they won't be up or around Mt. Fuji. Odds are that clouds will keep you from even seeing Mt Fui.

I agree that it makes much more sense to save a hotel move and spend an extra night or two in Kyoto, doing a day trip to Osaka. It is a 30 minute cheap train ride from Kyoto station and there are a LOT of trains each day. However, I wouldn't bother with Osaka at all; Hiroshima and Miyajima would be far more interesting,

Depending on when in July you pick, you could either run into the rainy season (which is very intense) or the beginning of summer (which is very hot and humid).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.