Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

How to build a relationship with a luxury property as a frequent guest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to build a relationship with a luxury property as a frequent guest?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:28 pm
Original Member

I am slightly envious when I read here that folk receive upgrades or treats or special consideration above the norm. But I’m not personally sufficiently suave or practiced at palaver to seek such in any active way. I remain baffled that Le Bristol is so nice to me. Sometimes my brilliant TA can wrangle an upgrade but I don’t count on it. I am happy to pay for exactly what I want. I never am disappointed at the lack of upgrades or special treatment. But, that’s me, if such are important to others, so be it, no fault.

In my experience, TRUE luxury is delivered at the very least on one’s first visit which, for me, include, La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo, Las Alamandas on the Costa Alegre of Mexico, Gravetye Manor in West Sussex, Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo, Twin Farms in Vermont, San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito, Le Bristol in Paris and a few others. Such places treat first timers so very well and gracefully. There is, for me at least, no expectation of more. It’s all just perfect the first time.

So, there is luxury, then another level where relationships, bak-shish, etc. are not necessarily effective. A kind of
égalité at the highest end. I like that.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by uhm
I've received upgrades worth over 100k by just generously (100-200 USD) tipping the front desk manager at check-in. Is it really awful if it works?

Of course you need to apply some basic social skills to figure out if the person will be offended by this or not.

Sucks for you if you aren't willing to take advantage of these opportunities, but it's very much the norm in much of the hospitality industry. Even in fancy restaurants in Europe (and UK) bribes are the standard way to land a desirable table.
Sorry, but I can't imagine doing this. And if I would have the feeling it's necessary I wouldn't stay or use this restaurant.
This said I also think s relationship comes often automatically. Staff recognizes you, you are just friendly to them (often more worth than a 20 € note) and you simply show them you appreciate to be with them.
KatW, obscure2k, FlyerEC and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:36 am
Original Member

Yes, I have no intent of building a relationship but function as I do in the other parts of my life: try to treat others kindly although I can be awkward. It was easier when Jim was with me, everyone loved him.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
This is interesting because I thought perhaps I haven’t been focusing on the higher ups enough. I’ll have the bartender or a server or a bellman remember me from previous stays and greet me enthusiastically because I enjoy taking the time to get to know them personally and it makes more sense to have done so versus say a GM, but that tends to get me bupkis in terms of the little touches of recognition from the property as a whole.
I'm sorry, I guess I misread your original post. You mentioned the word "service" there a few times, but it seems what you really mean is an upgraded room? Short of just paying for the room you want, I have had very mixed results mentioning special occasions, contacting management before arrival with "questions", etc.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
This is interesting because I thought perhaps I haven’t been focusing on the higher ups enough. I’ll have the bartender or a server or a bellman remember me from previous stays and greet me enthusiastically because I enjoy taking the time to get to know them personally and it makes more sense to have done so versus say a GM, but that tends to get me bupkis in terms of the little touches of recognition from the property as a whole.
I am reminded of a story I heard a while back. John used to travel to Asia a lot and he was universally loved. One of his US colleagues asked him why he was so popular, he said, I dont know, maybe because I always ask them about their country and culture etc etc. The colleague sad. well i pretend to be interested as well !. John said well maybe the difference is that I don't pretend. I think the OP is focusing on the hoped for result rather than simply treating people as they would like to be treated, ie with respect. People in hospitability
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:22 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The kind of guest you are generally results in the experience you receive. When I travel alone or with my husband we are engaging, polite and when excellent service is received I email the hotel GM referring to the particular staff member and interaction.

Hotels recognise their staff and a written compliment from a guest means they are recognised and given incentives as a bonus.

IME, as a return guest the Front Office Manager or Front Desk Staff will phone the GM to greet us on arrival. I now have relationships with the hotels we often stay in and this means they go above and beyond. At a basic level they always block the rooms or villas we prefer or know how to arrange our travel between properties without asking on each occasion (The Four Seasons’ in Egypt).

One hotel I had several hundred nights at, the GM would always invite me for drinks or afternoon teas during my stays. I knew the staff well and two, in particular, began to feel like family because I would spend most nights in the Park Lounge.

It may sound simple but a personal welcome, handwritten note (that is relevant to your relationship) or a personal farewell can truly make you feel home away from home. IMHO, the people matter as much as the property on any stay.
FlyerEC and pstm91 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:01 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The kind of guest you are generally results in the experience you receive. When I travel alone or with my husband we are engaging, polite and when excellent service is received I email the hotel GM referring to the particular staff member and interaction.

Hotels recognise their staff and a written compliment from a guest means they are recognised and given incentives as a bonus.

IME, as a return guest the Front Office Manager or Front Desk Staff will phone the GM to greet us on arrival. I now have relationships with the hotels we often stay in and this means they go above and beyond. At a basic level they always block the rooms or villas we prefer or know how to arrange our travel between properties without asking on each occasion (The Four Seasons’ in Egypt).

One hotel I had several hundred nights at, the GM would always invite me for drinks or afternoon teas during my stays. I knew the staff well and two, in particular, began to feel like family because I would spend most nights in the Park Lounge.

It may sound simple but a personal welcome, handwritten note (that is relevant to your relationship) or a personal farewell can truly make you feel home away from home. IMHO, the people matter as much as the property on any stay.
Reminds me of our Aman stays. The good old days. Treated like family.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It’s been mentioned on this forum that building a relationship with a luxury property can take experiences to the next level, turning great service into exemplary. And indeed I’ve had acquaintances tell me that they always stay at such-and-such luxury property because after x number of stays (typically mid single-digits), they are immediately recognized and get treated like VIPs.

I’ve had no such luck. There are multiple luxury properties I’ve frequented 15-20+ times, and at pretty much all of them I’m still asked if it’s “my first time on property” upon check-in (even though I use the same profile every time and this is easily checked in the system). I tip well for my stays (minimum of $20 to anyone providing me any service no matter how brief, leaving a 10-15% of total bill additional tip at the end of my stay to be pooled). That said, I don’t seek out or hobnob with the GM during my vacations, preferring to keep my attention on my loved ones.

Clearly there’s a gap here where I’m not “getting through” to these properties to be viewed as a VIP guest deserving more than baseline treatment.

Any tips/tricks? Do I need to be having the property host an event specific to me (banquet, conference, etc.) that gets me on their radar?
I would say tipping makes your stay transactional and maybe these don't show up on their guest profiles. Not my business to say what to do with your own money. I don't think you need tricks and these properties probably aren't LF worthy when they're asking you how your first stay was (repeatedly). Giving feedback (good or bad) to relevant departments can build relationships. Booking through reputable agencies can make you get noticed more than Agoda.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:38 am
uhm

Programs: FSPP | Virtuoso | MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
At many hotels a decent booked upgrade would not cost that much, and as mentioned in some countries this would seem rude, Japan for one. And in my opinion very tacky, everywhere.
Well, in that specific case it was a 3 month stay in a city luxury property. I booked a base room category, was offered a 2 category bump. Bribed/tipped my way into a top suite category, I'd guess it would've been over 250k difference vs public rate.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily attempt this in Japan. You have to read the room.
Originally Posted by hypnos8
How do you infer whether the person will be offended, after having only exchanged a few words? Do you slip the bill into your passport or just hand it over the counter while mentioning that you never had a chance to try their type X suite?
Smile a lot, be very friendly. Spend a minute or two establishing rapport, make the other person laugh. Don't slip the bill into your passport, that's just weird. Be discreet though, I typically fold the bills a little and do a double handed handshake if possible. Kindly ask the person if they could help you with X, in a tone that suggests that you don't really mind if they can't.

If you're already both smiling and laughing, it's hard to go wrong here. If the recipient doesn't want the money, there's no need to let the situation turn awkward. Just laugh about it.

I suspect I might have a slight cultural advantage here, coming from an Eastern European country where bribes are or at least were commonplace. It's very easy for me to be casual about this, but it's a skill anyone can learn.
Originally Posted by hypnos8
And doesn't it put people on the spot when the property is fully booked and they simply can not upgrade you or do you typically receive other perks then?
Don't be demanding, don't put people on the spot. Just be nice, they'll probably go out of their way to help you.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Sorry, but I can't imagine doing this. And if I would have the feeling it's necessary I wouldn't stay or use this restaurant.
It's the difference between having to go by the public availability and book your table a weeks or a month ahead and being able to just grab a table for the same night whenever you want it. Almost all popular restaurants are like this, I'm not sure I've yet encountered one that wasn't.

Necessary? Surely not. Vastly more convenient? Yeah.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:09 pm
BLV

Thanking hotel staff is an art form. If you don’t have it perfected, the least you can do is not make it look like a “bribe”. I like bringing gifts for my friends & family when I visit them. Same goes for certain hotels that I consider my second home and where staff have become like family
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by uhm

It's the difference between having to go by the public availability and book your table a weeks or a month ahead and being able to just grab a table for the same night whenever you want it. Almost all popular restaurants are like this, I'm not sure I've yet encountered one that wasn't.

Necessary? Surely not. Vastly more convenient? Yeah.
What said Reuben in Ocean's 13: I came into a full restaurant and still got the best table.

Well, there are also restaurants I'm not treated like other guests, as I dine there since I'm a little child. I also can imagine in some extensive tipping also helps.
But we are leaving the theme of this thread. If we define relationship as getting best possible upgrades it's quite different from maximize staffs attention or the general experience.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ericka
Reminds me of our Aman stays. The good old days. Treated like family.
Some staff are like family.

One property we stay at for celebrations or key moments including engagements, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries etc. This means they have shared some of our most intimate moments. They know us well but also our family and some friends.

Others you spend so much time at you get to know people on a deeper level.

Unlike some comments above we don’t act differently because that’s disingenuous, we simply be ourselves. I would never tip at check in, it’s just not who I am.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
This is an absolutely excellent topic.
Some of the best experiences come from returning to hotels and building rapport with the team there and the repeat stays can be even better than the first and get better with time.

It’s very much dependent on the property and the staff there, a bit of luck, over communicating and not hoping that they have some incredible CRM system, and your own personality I suppose.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:50 pm

I should add, as someone with inside knowledge of Hyatt, return guests always >>> first time guests. For loyalty programs, an elite with a previous stay will receive better treatment than one with no stay history. Hotels with no loyalty programs such as FS etc also behave this way.

Luxury Hotels tend to brief staff at the beginning of their shift on who is in house. Park Hyatts brief all teams (from housekeeping to F&B front desk) on their different level VIP guests. They are told the number of nights the guest has at that property and how many nights they have at Hyatt Hotels Worldwide.

There's also V8 which is their code for 'difficult guest.' The concept is that by providing excellent and attentive service, a high demand, or guest who complains or who has had an issue on a previous stay will avoid any difficult issues during the current stay.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by uhm
I've received upgrades worth over 100k by just generously (100-200 USD) tipping the front desk manager at check-in. Is it really awful if it works?
Presumably a lot of the time when this works it is because the bribe is so high that the low paid person you are approaching is inclined to risk their job and act against company policy in return for an incentive. Of course I understand that in Vegas this is part of the compensation package, but in other cultures this is the same as trying to get into events through the back door by bribing security and should be understood as such.
offerendum and Kilian Zoll like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.