Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City: Where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Mexico City: Where to stay?

Been eyeing up the St Regis but would love to read input this forum as.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
The St Regis is solid. The FS is across the street. StR is much more modern and in a tower so you can have better views and a much nicer spa / gym.
The FS' selling point is really a lovely courtyard garden that is very relaxing. Both of those hotels are walking distance to some nice restaurants in Condesa and Roma.

Las Alcobas is a boutique right in the heard of Polanco. I like staying in that neighborhood better personally. Cannot talk about the Ritz which recently opened, but I seem to remember a recent review in one of these forums.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

"Solid" is a good descriptor of the St. Regis, uclabruin82 .

The Executive Suite there is a fantastic value. Room service breakfast was very good, and the gym is excellent with floor to ceiling windows looking over the city. The spa treatments we got were fine, though not great.

For a different perspective, I actually far preferred the location of the St. Regis to Las Alcobas, though this is entirely a matter of personal taste. Polanco has more high-end shopping and restaurants, but I really enjoyed St. Regis' proximity to Chapultepec Park (and the absolutely-cannot-miss anthropology museum therein) and to La Condesa, which we far preferred as a neighborhood. Hotel Condesa DF is extremely well located, but felt a little too hip and optimized-for-Instagram when we poked our heads into the lobby and restaurant.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
I'm in CDMX monthly.

4S is stately, but in desperate need of some TLC. It's looking old, dated. A little shabby. The pool and gym facilities are afterthoughts. The central courtyard is charming. Most of the bathrooms, even suites, are cave-like and windowless. No bueno.

St Regis is fine, but it's a loud mess on weekends, as the wealthy chilangos come to party for brunch. Not my thing.

The new Sofitel is beautiful, especially the suites and their service is well-above both St Regis and 4S. Stunning pool area. Solid gym.

The new Ritz is a hot mess. Just insane how they're getting away with calling themselves a RItz with this level of ineptitude. The reviews have been merciless. I can't say I'm shocked.

The JW Polanco is finally getting through their room refurb and their common areas are next. Fresh new design. Bright and airy. A welcome change. Great service and in one of the most walkable spots in all of CDMX.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
I'm in CDMX monthly.

4S is stately, but in desperate need of some TLC. It's looking old, dated. A little shabby. The pool and gym facilities are afterthoughts. The central courtyard is charming. Most of the bathrooms, even suites, are cave-like and windowless. No bueno.

St Regis is fine, but it's a loud mess on weekends, as the wealthy chilangos come to party for brunch. Not my thing.

The new Sofitel is beautiful, especially the suites and their service is well-above both St Regis and 4S. Stunning pool area. Solid gym.

The new Ritz is a hot mess. Just insane how they're getting away with calling themselves a RItz with this level of ineptitude. The reviews have been merciless. I can't say I'm shocked.

The JW Polanco is finally getting through their room refurb and their common areas are next. Fresh new design. Bright and airy. A welcome change. Great service and in one of the most walkable spots in all of CDMX.
great thank you!

Is the club at the Sofitel operate like other club lounges? Hard to find info about it.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I've got a bunch of MR to burn and these are some solid value (250k for 5 nights vs. ~3000 USD) - base room alone, StR looks like it has the edge, would that be an accurate assessment, while LA (and I guess JW ) have the edge on location? No significant status with Marriott FWIW. LA & StR cost roughly the same, JW a bit cheaper.

Sad to see the Ritz getting destroyed on reviews, because the view from pictures is amazing... But that seems to be about all the property has going for it right now, ouch.
Old May 29, 2022, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Enjoyed the FS, would be open to trying StR
Old May 29, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I've got a bunch of MR to burn and these are some solid value (250k for 5 nights vs. ~3000 USD) - base room alone, StR looks like it has the edge, would that be an accurate assessment, while LA (and I guess JW ) have the edge on location? No significant status with Marriott FWIW. LA & StR cost roughly the same, JW a bit cheaper.

Sad to see the Ritz getting destroyed on reviews, because the view from pictures is amazing... But that seems to be about all the property has going for it right now, ouch.
Thats right. JW has an outdoor pool while LA does not. I woujld not burn MR for the JW but they usually have good rates.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Have visted and revisited Mexico City plenty. All things considered, I enjoyed my stay at the new comer on Paseo de la Reforma, The Ritz-Carlton Mexico City

Skylobby is stunningly designed, common areas feature beautiful panoramic views of Chapultepec restaurant/bar great, wellness area (spa, pool, fitness) also wonderful.
Rooms comfortable, decor/furniture felt a little too contemporary cookie cutter to me, but nonetheless effective and comfortable. Marble bathrooms are beautiful. You'll want a room facing Bosque de Chapultepec (park) for interrupted views of the mountains out west.

90% of the rooms have balconies. The glass balcony are special, and feel one-of-a-kind, certainly one of the more exciting city-balconies I've experienced. Seamless panoramic views.

In comparing it to it's neighbors, St.Regis or FS, the service here is not as consistent, and communication can lag between teams.. maybe this was due to it being very busy with the Art Fair/President's day and a wedding.

Otherwise, a very comfortable option when in CDMX.

Here is a virtual tour of the property:

Livetotell likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Stayed in St Regis, Sofitel, and Four Seasons. Second time at FS, they 'walked' me to Marquis Reforma, never been back to any FS after that. It's too bad because I really like the ambience, courtyard is very nice.
St Regis is great, but it could be anywhere in the world. Rooms are spacious and service is what you'd expect. Some musicians were staying there last Thanksgiving while I was there and getting in and out was a bit complicated with guards outside keeping fans at bay.
Two rooms I've had at the Sofitel were nice, hotel seems more hip and seems a bit more crowded. One of our Jr suites had a beautiful view of the Angel from the bedroom and the free standing bathtub. Would recommend that type of room if you chose the Sofitel.
I've eaten at the Ritz Carlton and while the building and decor are beautiful, the service didn't seem very polished. Won't be trying it out unless prices come way down.
Livetotell and luxefarer like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Bumping this up as I am debating a December stay in CDMX. Stayed in the past at the FS and found it fine. Looking for something with more character/charm - more boutique-feeling with a sense of place. Any ideas?

Have very tempting corporate rates at Sofitel and Ritz but they both look quite generic.
Old May 14, 2023, 5:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’ve not yet stayed yet, but Casa Polanco would be my first choice on my next return if budget allows for it.
KatW and Livetotell like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Bumping this up as I am debating a December stay in CDMX. Stayed in the past at the FS and found it fine. Looking for something with more character/charm - more boutique-feeling with a sense of place. Any ideas?

Have very tempting corporate rates at Sofitel and Ritz but they both look quite generic.
I just stayed at the St. Regis, which is in the same neighborhood as the RC/Sofitel. Both RC and Sofitel are brand-new, but the Ritz is getting hammered in reviews. Also, neither of the two (three including St. Regis) are in a particularly charming/character-heavy neighborhood. I'll second the other poster - Polanco is a much better neighborhood to stay. How about Los Alcobas?
Old May 14, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
Originally Posted by callmedtop

recently stayed at the Alest in Polanco and loved it. Small, great style, lovely service. Felt in many ways like a Parisian boutique hotel. Wouldn’t hesitate to stay again and the prices were fantastic.
Old May 16, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: Free agent
Coming here to ask the same question with regards to St. Regis v Ritz. I have Platinum status with Marriott, not that great but at least includes breakfast at the St. Regis. I have been reading that the Ritz does upgrade to corner suites via either the STARS/AmEx FHR or status with Marriott, which would push it over the edge for me given the views. I haven't seen the Ritz getting hammered as badly as some mentions, mainly just inconsistent service, not necessarily awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.