Tipping at European hotel restaurants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping at European hotel restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: Le Club Accor
My rule everywhere all over the world is 10 % ! My pocket is small !
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:48 am

A plea to all visiting Americans..... Please don't bring your 15-20% tipping culture to mainland Europe. In most countries, taxes and service are already built into the menu prices, unless specifically noted otherwise up front. It's absolutely not necessary to tip further (waiting staff are not paid a pittance as in the US) and it's not expected, though no doubt gratefully accepted! Even where service isn't included in the menu price, the "standard" US practice of leaving a 20% tip is way, way, way above European levels. "Service included" restaurants that then leave a space for additional tips to be added are shamefully trying it on and taking advantage of tourists, as local culture is generally to only tip a handful of coins.
Please always do some homework about the tipping culture in those countries you intend to visit and don't go spoiling a system that works perfectly well for us Europeans!
behuman, jbb and FlyerEC like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by redrob
A plea to all visiting Americans..... Please don't bring your 15-20% tipping culture to mainland Europe. In most countries, taxes and service are already built into the menu prices, unless specifically noted otherwise up front. It's absolutely not necessary to tip further (waiting staff are not paid a pittance as in the US) and it's not expected, though no doubt gratefully accepted! Even where service isn't included in the menu price, the "standard" US practice of leaving a 20% tip is way, way, way above European levels. "Service included" restaurants that then leave a space for additional tips to be added are shamefully trying it on and taking advantage of tourists, as local culture is generally to only tip a handful of coins.
Please always do some homework about the tipping culture in those countries you intend to visit and don't go spoiling a system that works perfectly well for us Europeans!
EXACTLY!!!!!
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, KE elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
In general, it is best if travelers leave their culture at home and experience the culture of the place they are visiting.
Please. NA. Please.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
Restaurants in Europe include the gratuity in their prices. The few euros you leave on the table are simply an extra. courtesy. They are not the entire gratuity. Only an American (and I am one) would even ask this question.
The OP is well aware of the custom. He's asking if it has changed since he was last in Italy. That was an uncalled for dis on OP.
richarddd and offerendum like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
Two hotel restaurants in Italy have had gratuity lines on the bill. I haven't seen this before. Tipping does not seem common at non-hotel restaurants (beyond rounding up when paying cash). On other forums I've been told not to bring American tipping culture to Europe, but maybe that does not apply to restaurants in luxury hotels.

Have I missed something? What is one to do about this?
tipping in restaurants and bars (approx 10%) and when you have a morning standing-up coffee in a bar (the coins left over from payment, 10c or 20c) has always been the custom in Italy, France, etc.

In the UK it'S complicated, because a lot of the establishments actually take most or all of the tip.

Best way is to ask the server "do you get the tip or do management get it?" in hotel restaurants.

disclosure: I was born and raised in Italy, lived 30+ yrs in UK, travel regularly and extensively all over Europe and speak the local language of several countries...

Last edited by adpucci; Dec 15, 2021 at 3:46 am Reason: added my source of knowledge
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by finarg
Italy isdefinitely a tourist trap in most of its big cities.I live in Europe and And we do not normally leave tips in most of the continent. Except for a few euros if we like the service.
"Italy" is surely not a tourist trap, only if you visit the very wrong placed as everywhere in the world. In fact I was never "asked" in Italy for a tipp.

This said I surely don't want "American conditions" in Germany or elsewhere in Europe but it's a fact people in gastronomy live from the tipps. Many of them earn much less than a course cost per hour and if I got good service I would feel bad not to tipp.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 5:48 am

May I ask a related question?
Next week I am going to a so-called luxury, Relais &Chateaux, Michelin-starred hotel - the Gilpin - in the UK Lake District for the four-night Christmas package. I have paid a 50 percent Ģ1700 deposit. I now read on TripAdvisor that people arriving by car are asked to pay the balance in their car before they step foot inside the hotel. If true, is this unacceptable? What do people here think?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias
May I ask a related question?
Next week I am going to a so-called luxury, Relais &Chateaux, Michelin-starred hotel - the Gilpin - in the UK Lake District for the four-night Christmas package. I have paid a 50 percent Ģ1700 deposit. I now read on TripAdvisor that people arriving by car are asked to pay the balance in their car before they step foot inside the hotel. If true, is this unacceptable? What do people here think?
This would be totally unacceptable! Itīs a hotel and not a drive in.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by polinka
The OP is well aware of the custom. He's asking if it has changed since he was last in Italy. That was an uncalled for dis on OP.
Where in the OP's post does he ask if things have changed since he was last there? All I see is him asking if a tip line on the bill is something new'
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asked and answered, so to keep the thread from devolving further into argument, I'm closing it.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
obscure2k and United747 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.