What's the current go to in Boston?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the current go to in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to me it should be requirement for luxury hotels to clearly identify variation within room categories, so one does not get surprise on arrival

preferences vary dramatically, as illustrated in past 'big' threads on this forum with thread titles involving preferences for rooms and hotels
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Really excited for the Langham once the pool opens. Otherwise MO is great.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:27 pm
Original Member

I will be two/three nights in Boston on my way to and fro a July family reunion in New Hampshire. I gather from this thread The Newbury is best so I set out to investigate on their website which provides no detail on room/suite sizes which is critical to my decision. WTHF?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:33 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by KatW
I gather from this thread The Newbury is best so I set out to investigate on their website which provides no detail on room/suite sizes which is critical to my decision.
https://www.thenewburyboston.com/stay
then click on "Explore Room" under the photo of the one you are interested in for a description and sizing. Scroll down from there for more images. Good luck!
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ABG
https://www.thenewburyboston.com/stay
then click on "Explore Room" under the photo of the one you are interested in for a description and sizing. Scroll down from there for more images. Good luck!
That works, ABG, thankee!
ABG likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:58 pm
Original Member

The Newbury Boston

The Newbury

1 Review | 0% Recommended

The Newbury

boston, ma US

The Newbury Boston (0 Photo)

The Newbury

Check In

Checked in very late at night. Regular checkin. Was asked if I wanted help to my room which I thought odd. Yes, I want help, an older woman traveling alone...

There is no lobby per se, rather a large closed off room called The Library open to guests. Water, snacks, coffee available. Drinks can be ordered.

Room

Small one bedroom. If view is important, book a higher category suite. This suite had good sunlight, a few tree tops, lots of brick walls.

Decor is BLAND contemporary, no color, could have been a dentust waiting room although my dentist has better taste and regard for her patients. Bedroom is decent. Bed very comfortable, quality linens. TINY bathroom for a suite. One sink, no tub, great shower. Cost was $1K/night with third night free, I stayed three nights.

Service

Bell service was terrific, as was room service. Server in The Library (where I hosted friends for drinks) was great.

Dining

I ate only room service. Good club sandwich and fries (which I'm not supposed to eat). Breakfast ok. Their tea service lacks quality black tea. Coffee is regretable.

Location is enviable, directly across street fro the Public Garden and st the base of uber fancy Newbury street lined with all the stores reasonable people eschew to shop.

Overall

Next visit, it's back to the Four Seasons for me.

The Newbury Boston

Would you like to write a review on the The Newbury?

No, thank you.
Yes
SanDiego1K, obscure2k and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Agree with your comments, Kat. I put my mother up at the Newbury back in May for 3 nights and it was just fine. I liked the room decor but agree that it lacked character and was small. Lobby was non-existent and I love having a lobby. Service was fine, not great (concierge, F&B). After now dining at Contessa, the talk of the town around here, three times now, I can conclude that it is just not very good. The ground floor bar, on the other hand, is excellent.

Would probably not return - too many other good options in Bosto.
KatW likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Agree with your comments, Kat. I put my mother up at the Newbury back in May for 3 nights and it was just fine. I liked the room decor but agree that it lacked character and was small. Lobby was non-existent and I love having a lobby. Service was fine, not great (concierge, F&B). After now dining at Contessa, the talk of the town around here, three times now, I can conclude that it is just not very good. The ground floor bar, on the other hand, is excellent.

Would probably not return - too many other good options in Bosto.
Which options do you prefer?

I agree, a hotel sans lobby is counterintuitive and annoying.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Which options do you prefer?

I agree, a hotel sans lobby is counterintuitive and annoying.
I like Four Seasons One Dalton and the Mandarin, but primarily because those locations work best for me. We live in Back Bay so as a result anything outside of that area isn't particularly convenient for family members staying. The original Four Seasons is a classic, but not as well-located for our needs. I am curious how the new Raffles will do. I also haven't tried the Langham since their major renovation. The Mandarin is probably in need of a reno at this point, BTW.
KatW and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Member

Thanks, callmedtop. Taking note of those options.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Thanks, callmedtop. Taking note of those options.
As a former tourist/now local that hasn't stayed at any of the properties here (Except the Marriott Copley place when we were doing interviews ), if one is coming as a tourist, I'd pick the Newbury over pretty much anything else. The location is the best of arguably all properties in Boston, esp. if you get a park view room. Back Bay is amazing to visit as a tourist and has tons of shops, coffee shops etc. Similar argument with park view for the older 4 Seasons, then it becomes a hard product comparison that I can't speak for.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
My end decision is the same but thought it might be helpful to add a further breakdown of what the two properties offer. Its important to note I stayed twice recently at the Four Seasons but only dined twice at the Newbury (and kicked the proverbial tires by visiting the rooms and talking with the front desk and concierge).

The Newbury has three clef d'or concierge.

The Four Seasons no longer has a concierge, though the front desk will and does anything to assist you with bookings, information, etc.

The restaurant at the top of the Newbury has a lovely view, gorgeous flower arrangements, fun and interesting decor, and I found that the food is pretty good but not extraordinary. The Newbury restaurant is always booked and very lively.

The Four Seasons has a restaurant with pretty good food, dated decor, and most recently large arrangements of feathers. I'm sad to say it feels cold and empty.

I've found the service between the Four Seasons restaurant and the Newbury is a tossup. I made a reservation for vegetarian friends at the Four Seasons and they assured me there were vegetarian options on the menu, unfortunately there were none. They did end up making a lovely dish of vegetables and pasta. The person working in the restaurant also was doubling as a bar attendant and the host. There was one other table occupied.

The Newbury has a very small gym with new equipment and no pool or hot tub, or sauna or steam room. Do they have a spa?

The Four Seasons has a much larger gym, a small pool, and both a sauna and steam room for each of the men's and women's sides. Massages are available in your room through a third party.

The rooms at the Newbury are much more variable in layout and size than the Four Seasons, generally they are significantly smaller than the Four Seasons. Overall, I prefer the warmer colors of the Newbury and I find their library space inspired. I prefer the size of the rooms at the Four Seasons and the gorgeous floor to ceiling windows overlooking the park.

The Four Seasons has a very good, and complimentary, cafe, which is available to guests in the morning. They offer pain au chocolate, croissants, breakfast sandwiches (for a fee of course), and fantastic made to order coffee and espresso drinks prepared by two dedicated and caring baristas.

My experience when the Four Seasons had the Bristol Lounge and a fantastic team of concierge, was that this was by far the best in the city. With the loss of both these amenities, I still choose Four Seasons for their amazing service, but I think it is a far closer choice than any city in which I have stayed at a Four Seasons. I've stayed at the Four Seasons twice recently and dined twice at the Newbury, but did not stay there. The Newbury was alive and bustling, tragically the Four Seasons had low occupancy both stays, consisting of primarily medical conferences.

Does anyone know what happened to the space where the Bristol used to be? They are not planning on reopening it. It could be an incredible space for a spa. The Mandarin Oriental spa has been so successful they are booked weeks out and command tremendous rates for their services. I don't know who owns the Four Seasons Boston but they are missing out by not investing in a new restaurant and spa. The luxury hotels in the city with these amenities are knocking the RevPar out of Fenway park.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
My end decision is the same but thought it might be helpful to add a further breakdown of what the two properties offer. Its important to note I stayed twice recently at the Four Seasons but only dined twice at the Newbury (and kicked the proverbial tires by visiting the rooms and talking with the front desk and concierge).

The Newbury has three clef d'or concierge.

The Four Seasons no longer has a concierge, though the front desk will and does anything to assist you with bookings, information, etc.

The restaurant at the top of the Newbury has a lovely view, gorgeous flower arrangements, fun and interesting decor, and I found that the food is pretty good but not extraordinary. The Newbury restaurant is always booked and very lively.

The Four Seasons has a restaurant with pretty good food, dated decor, and most recently large arrangements of feathers. I'm sad to say it feels cold and empty.

I've found the service between the Four Seasons restaurant and the Newbury is a tossup. I made a reservation for vegetarian friends at the Four Seasons and they assured me there were vegetarian options on the menu, unfortunately there were none. They did end up making a lovely dish of vegetables and pasta. The person working in the restaurant also was doubling as a bar attendant and the host. There was one other table occupied.

The Newbury has a very small gym with new equipment and no pool or hot tub, or sauna or steam room. Do they have a spa?

The Four Seasons has a much larger gym, a small pool, and both a sauna and steam room for each of the men's and women's sides. Massages are available in your room through a third party.

The rooms at the Newbury are much more variable in layout and size than the Four Seasons, generally they are significantly smaller than the Four Seasons. Overall, I prefer the warmer colors of the Newbury and I find their library space inspired. I prefer the size of the rooms at the Four Seasons and the gorgeous floor to ceiling windows overlooking the park.

The Four Seasons has a very good, and complimentary, cafe, which is available to guests in the morning. They offer pain au chocolate, croissants, breakfast sandwiches (for a fee of course), and fantastic made to order coffee and espresso drinks prepared by two dedicated and caring baristas.

My experience when the Four Seasons had the Bristol Lounge and a fantastic team of concierge, was that this was by far the best in the city. With the loss of both these amenities, I still choose Four Seasons for their amazing service, but I think it is a far closer choice than any city in which I have stayed at a Four Seasons. I've stayed at the Four Seasons twice recently and dined twice at the Newbury, but did not stay there. The Newbury was alive and bustling, tragically the Four Seasons had low occupancy both stays, consisting of primarily medical conferences.

Does anyone know what happened to the space where the Bristol used to be? They are not planning on reopening it. It could be an incredible space for a spa. The Mandarin Oriental spa has been so successful they are booked weeks out and command tremendous rates for their services. I don't know who owns the Four Seasons Boston but they are missing out by not investing in a new restaurant and spa. The luxury hotels in the city with these amenities are knocking the RevPar out of Fenway park.
The restaurant at Newbury is operated by Major Food Group, who is behind the CARBONE (which has outposts in NYC, Miami, Dallas, Las Vegas, Hong Kong).

Did FS open a new restaurant/lounge where Bristol Lounge used to be? https://www.fourseasons.com/boston/d...rd-hui-lounge/
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
No, unfortunately the Four Seasons did not open a new restaurant where the Bristol Lounge used to be. This space is completely closed off and appears to no longer be part of the hotel. They do not have any plans to open a new restaurant or reopen that space in any form.

Aujourd'hui is their casual though upscale restaurant for breakfast and dinner. It has a bar and similar space to the Bristol but is often empty. They need a designer to refresh the space and a dedicated chef to shake things up.

This place can still make magic happen, but its apparent the owners are not putting the in the necessary investment to bring it back to the lively top of its game property it used to be.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:55 am
Original Poster

We just did 3 nights at The Newbury and then 3 nights at The Langham.

Newbury:
1. I agree the decor is a bit bland. It could certainly use a pop of color. The room we had was a studio suite that faced commonwealth. Very spacious room and the view of the street w/ the tree's all lit up at night was fantastic.
1a. I took at look at a Classic Fireplace Suite in thoughts of upgrading but it wasn't worth it. If the fireplace in the living room was 2 sided so it faced the bedroom as well I might have done it. Plus the view wasn't anything near what we had in current room.
2. Room service was great (tip: do the caviar).
3. Contessa at dinner time is SLAMMED which leads to okay service. The waiter was very nice but was so busy it was difficult for him to come check in on us. I would wager to guess the majority of diners are locals. Dinner was pretty tasty but I felt breakfast was the go to.
4. The library is nice with complementary coffee and pastries in the morning. They also have sparking water all day as well.

The Langham:
1. We got an executive room (this is our 2nd time here and same room category). We had been upgraded upon check-in to a room on the 2nd floor with very high ceilings/windows. We loved the room but unfortunately it was right above the entrance so with any wind you hear the flags clanging off the metal rods. I went down the next morning and we were immediately moved to the 8th floor (which was nice b/c we had club access and this was on the same floor as the club).
2. Club: Great amenities (Tattinger Champagne, Jonah crab claws, egg/omelete station in the mornings). While no view like the Chicago club has, I feel their wine/liquor/and snack selections bypass Chicago by quite a decent margin.
3. We love the service at Langham hotels and in Boston it doesn't disappoint.
4. They now have a house car now Thursday - Sunday (a brand new Escalade).

Boston food: Eat at Toro and the Little Whale. Both are superb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.