Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Milan, Florence and Venice recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Looking for help choosing hotels in Milan, Florence & Venice. We're planning to go in mid-December.

Milan: We liked the Park Hyatt and would stay again. Perhaps a park executive suite [56sqm €890, although maybe points upgrade or Prive] or larger. They are currently renovating and it's not clear if they'll finish by their announced date of 1 December. I'm thinking of the Mandarin Oriental as a back-up. They're running a sale on junior suites and milano suites, which look nice. [50sqm €600, 60sqm €1,000]

Florence: Portrait Firenze looks good and gets great reviews. We like the location a lot. Our only concern is street noise interfering with sleep. [56sqm €1,000, 85sqm €1,335] Their sister hotel, the Lungarno, also looks nice. [42sqm €800, 100sqm €1,670, perhaps including terrace in sqm] The last time we were in Florence we stayed in the Rocco Forte Savoy, which was good other than unacceptable noise at night.

Venice: The more research I do, the more confused I get. We'd like a good sized room (50-60sqm), a lovely view, good service and breakfast, a convenient location and to avoid crowds and noise. Views of Santa Maria della Salute seem the best. I'm not sure how to rank Grand Canal views compared to lagoon views. I'm not likely to pick anything I've labeled pricey absent a really good reason. In alphabetical order:

Aman: We don't like the decor.

Baglioni Luna: Tiziano lagoon view is a good size. Pricey. [60sqm, €1,910]

Bauer Palazzo: Presidential suite is a good size and seems to have Salute views. [65sqm, €1,556]

Cavalieri: Royal Suite or Prestige Suite. We liked this hotel on our last trip. It has side canal views. [RS 90sqm, €552]

Danieli: Lagoon view junior suite is a bit small, but could be nice [44-48sqm €1,205]. Lagoon view suite has a wide range of sizes and is pricey [40-60sqm €2,352] . Location may be too noisy and touristy.

Gritti: Landmark room has Salute views, but is small [29-41sqm €1,384]. The next size up with Salute views is over €6,000, which is too much.

Sagredo: Grand Suite is a good size and has grand canal views. It has many fans, although breakfast and service are often criticized. Location is a bit off the beaten path. [100sqm €736]

St Regis: We don't like the decor.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:25 am

Not stayed at the St Regis in Venice but we rather like the look of the contemporary decor which I think would make a pleasant change from the usual heavy Venetian style. If you want to see just how great the views are from the top suites and the terrace at the St Regis check out the closing sequences in The Talented Mr Ripley which was filmed there before its renovation when it was the Europa & Regina. Utterly great movie, too.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:31 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by richarddd
We're planning to go in mid-December.

Florence: Portrait Firenze looks good and gets great reviews. We like the location a lot. Our only concern is street noise interfering with sleep. [56sqm €1,000, 85sqm €1,335]
Without even touching my GDS, so maybe I am wrong, but I find it really impossible that mid-December is 1000EUR a night at Portrait Florence, unless you are booking a river view suite. Yes there is traffic and taxis that beep in the city centre of Florence. Going to Four Seasons or Villa Cora will solve that problem. Maybe even the old JK which is on a very peaceful square (at least I have found) For Venice, perhaps look into Venart for something peaceful, but reasonable cost wise.

Last edited by ABG; Jul 13, 2021 at 10:50 am
Old Jul 13, 2021, 11:11 am

Park Hyatt Milan is "renovating", i.e. nothing is happening and I am doubtful they will reopen anytime soon. So yes, would consider MO as a backup.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
VENICE - The Danieli is in dire need of a refresh. We enjoyed the location, but wished we chose the Gritti.

MILAN - The Principe Di Savoia, while not on your list, was lovely. Large rooms and a great vibe.

Last edited by Iblock9; Jul 13, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
ask me in 3 weeks when I'm back from Milan. Will try the MO and Principe. FS is renovating rooms at the moment and should be ready in December.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
ask me in 3 weeks when I'm back from Milan. Will try the MO and Principe. FS is renovating rooms at the moment and should be ready in December.
Actually the renovated rooms at FS will not be ready by December unfortunately, they have a delay. Do report back how the MO was! Enjoy
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:01 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ABG
Without even touching my GDS, so maybe I am wrong, but I find it really impossible that mid-December is 1000EUR a night at Portrait Florence, unless you are booking a river view suite. Yes there is traffic and taxis that beep in the city centre of Florence. Going to Four Seasons or Villa Cora will solve that problem. Maybe even the old JK which is on a very peaceful square (at least I have found) For Venice, perhaps look into Venart for something peaceful, but reasonable cost wise.
I’m not surprised , Florence hotels really maintain their rates… there is an 800€ non-refundable rate for their entry level category, the flex rate is 1000€ (checked Dec 14-16).

Since the city renovated the riverfront, there is much less traffic now, and it was extremely quiet at night. Noise is more are problem for the rooms out back, where laundry and garbage trucks pass in the little alley.

Former JK Place is now just „The Place Firenze“ and they did some renovations as well.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Not stayed at the St Regis in Venice but we rather like the look of the contemporary decor which I think would make a pleasant change from the usual heavy Venetian style. If you want to see just how great the views are from the top suites and the terrace at the St Regis check out the closing sequences in The Talented Mr Ripley which was filmed there before its renovation when it was the Europa & Regina. Utterly great movie, too.
The rooms and view do look very nice. If I could reconcile myself to the decor, and not be worried about crowds and noise, it would seem a good choice.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
We are looking at a Prestige Suite River View on a 3 for 2 rate. The street in front of the hotel is certainly noisy during the day, but it's not clear to me how noisy it would be at night. The Lungarno is likely quieter, as it's on the river with no street in front.

We really like the location - it's a short walk to the Uffizi, restaurants we like, etc. The FS is too far away.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Iblock9
VENICE - The Danieli is in dire need of a refresh. We enjoyed the location, but wished we chose the Gritti.

MILAN - The Principe Di Savoia, while not on your list, was lovely. Large rooms and a great vibe.
The Gritti would be better, but as noted a view room that's at or above our preferred size is absurdly (to me) priced. Please say more about why the Danieli needs a refresh - decor, worn out, etc. Were noise, crowds and service good?

We have stayed at the PdS. The hard product was fine, but we didn't really like the location and the restaurant.

It has a sort of old world vibe some describe as grandmotherly.😀
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Will do!
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
I’m not surprised , Florence hotels really maintain their rates… there is an 800€ non-refundable rate for their entry level category, the flex rate is 1000€ (checked Dec 14-16).

Since the city renovated the riverfront, there is much less traffic now, and it was extremely quiet at night. Noise is more are problem for the rooms out back, where laundry and garbage trucks pass in the little alley.

Former JK Place is now just „The Place Firenze“ and they did some renovations as well.
Glad to hear the river facing rooms at the Portrait Firenze are extremely quiet at night. That's great to hear. FWIW, I checked Dec 6-9.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We had a really nice stay at Hotel Lungarno in Florence several years ago. It doesn’t get much buzz on here. The rooms were a little small but the staff was great. The location was also good for us. However, I can’t believe the prices which have doubled since. I think it is owned by Ferragamo.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Any recent experience with the Bauer Palazzo or Baglioni Luna service, breakfast or crowds / noise, as I can't find much on those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.