Explora hotels - beware fraud tentative on cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black

Important warning:

I had booked 2 hotel rooms for the yet unopened Explora El Chalten in March 2020 for a stay in 18-21 February 2021. At the time of booking the hotel had a 30% deposit and a 200USD cancellation policy per room for cancellations happening between 30 and 60 days. Which can be found here https://web.archive.org/web/20200406...s/#individuals

I had called in the summer to ask whether the hotel planned on being opened and told it would be the case. Yesterday I realized on the website that the opening wouldn't happen before October 2021 at the earlest. I therefore called to get the refund.

To my extreme surprise this was declined. I could either rebook between October 2021 and April 2022 (but not during the busy holiday season) or forego my deposit.

Explora sends a reservation confirmation which has a dynamic link to the cancellation policies. The reservation department outright lied on the cancellation policies at the time of booking in order to keep the deposit and they were clearly also not proactive to inform me when they knew (probably weeks in advance that this hotel would never open in time).

1) The hotel is closed at the time of booking so they cannot honor my reservation and should therefore simply refund. They refuse
2) Even if I wanted to cancel (which I don't I still plan on going to Patagonia) I should be entitled to the full refund less the 200 USD

The fraudulent management team has instead decided to keep the cash. So buyer beware. Do not ever book an explora hotel unless you are sure to stay there.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:25 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by TheHak
Important warning:

I had booked 2 hotel rooms for the yet unopened Explora El Chalten in March 2020 for a stay in 18-21 February 2021. At the time of booking the hotel had a 30% deposit and a 200USD cancellation policy per room for cancellations happening between 30 and 60 days. Which can be found here https://web.archive.org/web/20200406...s/#individuals

I had called in the summer to ask whether the hotel planned on being opened and told it would be the case. Yesterday I realized on the website that the opening wouldn't happen before October 2021 at the earlest. I therefore called to get the refund.

To my extreme surprise this was declined. I could either rebook between October 2021 and April 2022 (but not during the busy holiday season) or forego my deposit.

Explora sends a reservation confirmation which has a dynamic link to the cancellation policies. The reservation department outright lied on the cancellation policies at the time of booking in order to keep the deposit and they were clearly also not proactive to inform me when they knew (probably weeks in advance that this hotel would never open in time).

1) The hotel is closed at the time of booking so they cannot honor my reservation and should therefore simply refund. They refuse
2) Even if I wanted to cancel (which I don't I still plan on going to Patagonia) I should be entitled to the full refund less the 200 USD

The fraudulent management team has instead decided to keep the cash. So buyer beware. Do not ever book an explora hotel unless you are sure to stay there.
Unfortunate to hear what's happened, but if you still have the booking T&Cs handy, this should make a pretty straightforward case for a credit card chargeback ?
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you do a credit card chargeback? You shouldn't pay anything for a hotel that won't be open during the dates of your reservation.

A deposit is for a specific stay on specified dates (in a particular room type, etc.). It isn't a license for the hotel to tell you to come back later at *their* convenience.
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Of course not familiar with law in Argentina but I would be very surprised if it's lawful. BUT even in Europe some strange (Corona) laws are in force.
The problem is as always: Are you interested to seek a legal proceeding in Argentina....
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP,STARS, PEN Club,Bellini , Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Rocco Knight,Prive,etc.
I am a Virtuoso agent and do alot of business with Explora.
I am a little unclear about what you are saying/asking in your post but my general notice. (I could not get your link to terms to open)
1. What are the terms in writing with your original deposit confirmation receipt.? Are you saying it is a dynamic link and now you have no record of the actual one quoted at time of booking ?
2. It's been my experience, let's say with covid.. If you cancel prior to the hotel notifying you that it is closed and you are under penalty they are going to keep $
however if you wait until the vendor notifies you of closure I've always had my clients get their monies back.

You can em me directly as I'm happy to offer input and advice. Holly Lombardo Atlanta
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
I emailed Explora with a link to this article and they agreed to refund immediately. In the meantime the credit card company had accepted the dispute so that was easy.

Just to be clear, I had emailed Explora a couple of times asking whether they intended to be opened with no response and when I finally called they told me on the phone that they would only open in October. At that time, and on the phone I then asked to get a refund (I don't want a future date if not I would have participated at Explora's promotion a couple of weeks ago) which was declined.

What they offered initially was a rebooking anytime from October 2021 to April 2022 at the original price but excluding holiday periods. I thought it was a really unreasonable proposal.
H.Lombardo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.