Search

London Hotels Open in July...?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:35 am
ASI
Original Poster

London Hotels Open in July...?

Hey travellers,

I’m looking at having an indulgent night in London at the end of this month (31 July) - of the 5* hotels that are currently open in Central London, are there any notable ones I should look at?

Given the partial lockdown situation, a room that is both a pleasure to be in and has a view would be really valued. I’ve also tried to get a measure on what amenities will be open in hotels, however this has been a little trickier to nail down.

At the moment a balcony suite at the Marriott County Hall seems a good option.

Many thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:03 am

This thread was helpful in my review of London options. Perhaps find some candidates in the discussion there and then research their current status of availability.
ASI likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:20 am

Hotels with views in London are generally not the hotels people use on this Forum. Hotels with genuine views would indeed include the Marriott County Hall, also the one by Tower Bridge, the Shangri-La Shard, river suites at the Savoy, the Hilton on Park Lane and the Sheraton Park Tower in Knightsbridge. But none of them are luxury hotels in the sense defined here. I loved the views from the Four Seasons at Canary Wharf. Some top suites at the Corinthia have views . . .
EuropeanPete and ASI like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:44 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Corinthia is open, just got an email to that effect.
ASI likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Hotels with views in London are generally not the hotels people use on this Forum. Hotels with genuine views would indeed include the Marriott County Hall, also the one by Tower Bridge, the Shangri-La Shard, river suites at the Savoy, the Hilton on Park Lane and the Sheraton Park Tower in Knightsbridge. But none of them are luxury hotels in the sense defined here. I loved the views from the Four Seasons at Canary Wharf. Some top suites at the Corinthia have views . . .
Savoy, Shangri-La and Corinthia belongs to this foum, if they are the best is another. In my opinion the higher floors at FS Park Lane and Mandarin Oriental Park view rooms are options with a view. Dorchester could also qualify.
ASI likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
Corinthia opened again on the 4th and has a nice view of the Thames and London Eye from many of the suites. For some reason, I only have a video of the view on my phone and no pics - DM if you would like this.

The Mandarin Oriental opens on the 22nd with most rooms having a view of Hyde Park. I think the Lanesborough is on the verge of reopening and it has nice views of Hyde Park.

The Trafalgar is not super luxury but is nice and has views of Trafalgar Square, rooms are quite small so try to go for a junior suite or better.
ASI likes this.

Last edited by dylanc; Jul 6, 2020 at 9:00 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
45 Park Lane is currently open and some of their rooms have Hyde Park views
ASI likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:47 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by francophile
And 45 Park Lane offers GBP 100 per night credit for all room categories when booked with a Dorchester Diamond Club agent. If a 2 Bed suite, the benefits apply per bedroom. Exec Park View should have a small balcony too.
ASI likes this.

Last edited by SojournsOf; Jul 6, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would skip the Savoy and certainly not pay to upgrade to a river view if I were to stay there again.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by francophile
The top floor suite has a wraparound balcony with some of the best views over London.
obscure2k and ASI like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I would skip the Savoy and certainly not pay to upgrade to a river view if I were to stay there again.
Fair enough but I am wondering why this is?

I enjoy the Savoy. My absolute fave is the Lanesborough - one of the last true luxury 5*'s in London.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Savoy is fine, but not special in my opinion. I was forced to stay there a couple of years ago. The hotel and lobby are very busy given the area of London it is in. I do not think that a paying guests should have to wait an hour for a table in the American Bar for an afternoon drink. I also fund the lobby to be very dark, but personal preference. The gym is sad for a city "luxury" hotel. I did think the breakfast was quite good, but remember staring at the river in the mornings from the restaurant and thinking that I would never pay for that view.

I am not a London expert by any means, but if I were to go back now I would probably stay near Hyde Park to have some open green space.
dylanc likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:10 am
ASI
Original Poster

Hi guys - thank you all for the replies.

45 Park Lane looks rather special and ticks many boxes!
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:58 am
Original Member

For view in London, nothing beats the Savoy in a river-view room or suite. Fifth floor and above.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by ASI
Hi guys - thank you all for the replies.

45 Park Lane looks rather special and ticks many boxes!
45 Park Lane is one of my two favourite hotels in London (the other being the Lanesborough). I don't think you will be disappointed in the hard product. There isn't a single category of room that has a shower over the bath (winner in my book). I have stayed in every single room category and my favourite are the Park Lane suites. The Penthouse is nice too. The GM, John Scanlon is such a nice person and his warmth and professionalism is reflected in the team at 45. If you want to ask any questions about the hotel please go ahead and I'll be happy to answer them.

Just as an aside The Lanesborough has not yet reopened and has not set a date for doing so. It is likely to do with the the 14 day quarantine requirement upon arrival in the UK and the nature of the clientele the hotel attracts during July and August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.