Wiki Posts
Search

Manila which hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Manila which hotel?

Got an upcoming four night stay in Manila and trying to decide between Pen, Fairmont and Raffles.

Fairmont is crazy cheap (about £80/night)
Pen is £120/night with breakfast for deluxe
Have considered junior suite at Raffles for £200/night but not sure if it’s worth the extra (although still cheap relatively speaking)

Right now I’m tempted to go for the fairmont and justify spending more on eating out/activities etc.

Anyone got any experience with all 3? Is Pen significantly better than Fairmont and is the Raffles really worth the extra?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Travel Leaders Group, Preferred Partner of FS, RC, MO, Rosewood, Belmond, Pen, SLH, etc.
I would say that the Peninsula is better than the Fairmont (probably is the best in Manila), although the Fairmont is still very good. Another option to consider is Shangri-La.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I’ve done raffles and pen and the raffles blew out the Pen by a wide margin. However, this was in 2017 and I believe that the Pen has since renovated its rooms which were in dire need of a refresh.

assuming you get a renovated room at the Pen, id stay there though. It is more iconic and The Who’s who of Manila frequently pass through there
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reigndrop
I’ve done raffles and pen and the raffles blew out the Pen by a wide margin. However, this was in 2017 and I believe that the Pen has since renovated its rooms which were in dire need of a refresh.

assuming you get a renovated room at the Pen, id stay there though. It is more iconic and The Who’s who of Manila frequently pass through there
thank you both for your replies. Feel like it’s going to have to be Pen it Raffles then.

Either can get the renovated deluxe at pen virtuoso rate (club access, breakfast, 60 min massage for 2) for £465 or the junior suite at raffles with breakfast for £530.

Hard decision. Was the raffles that much better to justify losing the virtuoso benefits?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pogonation
thank you both for your replies. Feel like it’s going to have to be Pen it Raffles then.

Either can get the renovated deluxe at pen virtuoso rate (club access, breakfast, 60 min massage for 2) for £465 or the junior suite at raffles with breakfast for £530.

Hard decision. Was the raffles that much better to justify losing the virtuoso benefits?
go with the Pen given the new room and don’t look back
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:45 am

I have stayed at all three and still prefer The Pen.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have booked the Pen virtuoso rate
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
It's probably the worst Pen in the world, but I have a soft spot for the ManilaPen and always stay there when i'm in town.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:11 pm

Good news... Mandarin Oriental, Makati will be opening by the end of this year or in early 2023!

As some here know, the lovely old hotel was closed in 2014... over 8 years ago. The new hotel -- owned by Ayala -- will be part of Ayala Triangle Gardens in Makati. The tower, which the hotel is part of, is finished and they are working on the interiors.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:34 am

Update

Any recent stays in Manila? Looking for the best hotel for business.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:39 am

Stayed for a night at the Pen before moving to Pulo - it was... adequate. Service was very attentive and friendly (they were *just* reopening to foreign tourism at the time), but the room was tired and below the usual Pen standard. Nothing seemed obviously better, though - so may be the best option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.