Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tanzania/Kenya/Rwanda

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Tanzania/Kenya/Rwanda

Thinking about heading back to Africa for my mom's 70th with some friends next May or June. I have done Boulders and Lembombo in SA a couple years ago and we did Duba, Vumbura and Zarafa in Botswana last year. I have not really done the big houses/private lodge thing, but was leaning towards the following:

4 Nights Serengeti House
2 Nights at Sabora and 2 at Mara River Camp OR try Alex Walker's Serian North
3 Nights at Singita Rwanda at their house or the resort
3 Nights in Zanzibar - maybe Zuri

Was hoping some might have more recent experiences with these properties. We have loved the communal nature of safari lodges on previous stays, but with a group of 6 people though Seregenti House may be a better choice over Sasakwa - though not sure if we would lose some of the Singita magic.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:27 am

Not visited yet but heard very good feedback re Zuri. Especially the beach should be one of the nicest in Zanzibar. Mnemba?

Since you will be 6 and celebrating a special occasion, also have a look at:

- Thanda Private Island
- Sirai House.

Both very highly recommended and very special. May/June could still work out. Starting July many lodges are already fully booked. I just checked for a family of 5 and can not even find a single night at Singita Tanzania.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:36 am

We stayed in Singita Sasakwa, Sabora and Mara River Tented Camp in 2018 - pics below. Sasakwa was my clear favourite and is a hugely impressive, luxurious property, but I thought the negative was it being up in the hills, which is not really akin to being near nature (except monkeys), like Sabora is. However, Serengeti House is at the bottom of said hill. It's absolutely beautiful and less than a 5 minute drive from the main property, so if you want to enjoy all your meals and facilities there with the other guests you can. It's got a watering hole right in front of it that elephants regularly come to, so you can watch them from the pool.

As for Sabora, I assume you know it's only a 40ish minute drive from Sasakwa? So it's all the same, just a different camp. Still, I really liked it. With Mara, it's the only Singita we've been to where we felt the hard product was very basic. It's a short flight away, so will offer something different and hopefully you get an opportunity to see some river crossings, but I don't think I'd return there, especially as it's not a private reserve and the crowds can be immense.

Lastly, I only have experience of Singita Kwitonda from the sheer difficulty my wife has had in trying to book people in there due to the popularity. With the demand and limited rooms, some of these lodges are sold out over a year in advance, so if you're talking about "next" May/June being 2021, you're all good, yet this year and you might struggle a bit and need to consider Bistate or One&Only. We've stayed in Bisate Lodge and loved it.

Lastly, you may want to check out Arijiju, a safari lodge in Kenya, which is private use. I appreciate the website is terrible, but I've only heard good things and will be staying this September.

If I were you I'd aim for June time, as the migration should have started by then. I prefer going on safari in June or September, as you avoid the crowds and don't have to share any of the vehicles - although that wouldn't be an issue for yourselves as you'd have a private one anyway. I was just in Singita Boulders/Ebony, arriving 5th September, and the lodges were half empty, whilst getting a room in late August was impossible.

Sabora

Sasakwa

Mara River Tented Camp

Nizar and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:44 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I highly recommend taking a look at Mnemba Island in Zanzibar
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
I highly recommend taking a look at Mnemba Island in Zanzibar
There are some recent appalling reviews of this &beyond place. People talk of low upkeep, a general lack of hygiene, masses of crabs invading the rooms and flying bugs. Now you can believe this or not but what does seem to be undeniable is the daily invasion of snorkelers and other boating groups coming across the channel from the main island. This is not, it seems, a private bolt hole.

Zuri looks nice if a bit big with 56 rooms. People also talk of service issues and I've read of several cases of inappropriate behaviour from staff towards young women.

Zanzibar was great 20 years ago but now it seems a rather unpleasant place to go. There was a case, a few years back, when some women had acid thrown over them for not complying with Islamic dress in Stone Town. And it's a small island with way over 200 hotels. So it's off my radar anyway.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 6, 2020 at 5:25 am
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Epicura
Not visited yet but heard very good feedback re Zuri. Especially the beach should be one of the nicest in Zanzibar. Mnemba?

Since you will be 6 and celebrating a special occasion, also have a look at:

- Thanda Private Island
- Sirai House.

Both very highly recommended and very special. May/June could still work out. Starting July many lodges are already fully booked. I just checked for a family of 5 and can not even find a single night at Singita Tanzania.
Thanks everyone for the insights. I should have said we are looking at 2021. It sounds like with Singita the Serengeti House is the way to go... Probably the same in Rwanda. Sirai seems amazing and a better accommodation than Serian... I had heard the game view Serian is next level, but my concern is that the North may necessitate a later trip. I have an ok budget, but wondering if it makes sense to pay the June/July premiums? Thanda could make for a nice ending as well.

Epicura - do you know roughly what the rate are at Thanda?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:17 pm

As with anywhere at the Thanda price range, it's entirely negotiable. Thanda opened at $15k/n, yet were offering discounts as much as 50% off; their rack rate has since gone to $25k, yet they were still very generous with discounts, especially for smaller groups. Epicura was fortunate enough to visit a few years ago, but I don't believe ever came through with her promised review of her adventures.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by busy
Thinking about heading back to Africa for my mom's 70th with some friends next May or June. I have done Boulders and Lembombo in SA a couple years ago and we did Duba, Vumbura and Zarafa in Botswana last year. I have not really done the big houses/private lodge thing, but was leaning towards the following:

4 Nights Serengeti House
2 Nights at Sabora and 2 at Mara River Camp OR try Alex Walker's Serian North
3 Nights at Singita Rwanda at their house or the resort
3 Nights in Zanzibar - maybe Zuri

Was hoping some might have more recent experiences with these properties. We have loved the communal nature of safari lodges on previous stays, but with a group of 6 people though Seregenti House may be a better choice over Sasakwa - though not sure if we would lose some of the Singita magic.
you might've already done so but be sure to check out this thread that has a lot of discussion on this: Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Also, it's not in the areas you mentioned above, but maybe consider https://www.thandasafari.co.za/accom...n/villa-izulu/ ? Poster above also pitched Thanda Private Island which is the samee company so might be able to put a combo together.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We are big Singita fans and stayed at Sabora tented camp and Sasakwa in June 2016 (in time for migration). As another poster mentioned, the camps are probably 45 minutes from one another but you do end up driving to different areas on game drives depending on sightings so a split stay is not dull. I think I posted a trip report about our stay. The hard product is great and we had a wonderful time. Much better than the Singita SA lodges and we loved those, too. We finished our trip with a stay at Nogorongo crater lodge (&beyond).
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
As with anywhere at the Thanda price range, it's entirely negotiable. Thanda opened at $15k/n, yet were offering discounts as much as 50% off; their rack rate has since gone to $25k, yet they were still very generous with discounts, especially for smaller groups. Epicura was fortunate enough to visit a few years ago, but I don't believe ever came through with her promised review of her adventures.
Ask Lucie to check contracted rates; I can still get 15k for 2020 and 2021. I am not a magician so pretty sure she can get the same rack.

I visited Thanda indeed but would not say my booking was fortunate. Let’s leave it at that.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
There are some recent appalling reviews of this &beyond place. People talk of low upkeep, a general lack of hygiene, masses of crabs invading the rooms and flying bugs. Now you can believe this or not but what does seem to be undeniable is the daily invasion of snorkelers and other boating groups coming across the channel from the main island. This is not, it seems, a private bolt hole.
I've read those reviews of Mnemba as well and I'm a little concerned. I'll be there when they open on August 1 and will let you know if the negative rumors are true.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am very curious about a recommended Rwanda itinerary. If anyone who has gone can advise, how long should you spend seeing the gorillas (2-3 nights?) and then where else in the country or nearby is worth visiting? Magashi Camp? Or should you combine it with Tanzania? Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:18 am
Community Director Emerita

We have just returned from safari that included an excellent stay at Singita Sabora. We toured Singita Sasakwa while there. Wow.

There's an excellent thread in the Africa forum about places to stay in the Serengeti.

Serengeti Safari Advice
United747 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:14 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We have just returned from safari that included an excellent stay at Singita Sabora. We toured Singita Sasakwa while there. Wow.

There's an excellent thread in the Africa forum about places to stay in the Serengeti.

Serengeti Safari Advice
Glad to see your thoughts on Sabora - I'm headed there in November!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by threepointkid
I am very curious about a recommended Rwanda itinerary. If anyone who has gone can advise, how long should you spend seeing the gorillas (2-3 nights?) and then where else in the country or nearby is worth visiting? Magashi Camp? Or should you combine it with Tanzania? Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

When we were at Sabora (and Sasakwa and Faru Faru) there were a bunch of guests who had come from Kwitonda; IIRC Singita had made their connections very smooth. We are heading to Kwitonda ourselves at the end of the year, can't wait

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.