Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Italy luxury Hotels 3 cities: help me choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italy luxury Hotels 3 cities: help me choose?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Good to know , thanks . Hope to be pleasantly surprised
Well , having just had a spectacular stay at ZOE , am looking forward to AMANCGV , now AMANVenice , on Saturday .
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Aman Venice!

I have had a little bit of a frustrating experience booking 5+ rooms for a stay + private dinner event in March, but sticking with it. The terrace of the Gritti is tempting but given March weather I don't think we'll be missing much there.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
The terrace of the Gritti is tempting but given March weather I don't think we'll be missing much there.
Haha, that sounds gloriously cool to me!
callmedtop likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
The terrace of the Gritti is tempting but given March weather I don't think we'll be missing much there.
We went in January 2017 and had a lunch outside at Quadri's in warm sunshine. You never can tell. Anywhere these days. The city in January was wonderful - only a few hardy souls like us. Ditto in Rome in January 2018 where we had lunch outside at Palazzo Manfredi gazing over at the Colosseum.
obscure2k, callmedtop and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Sep 16, 2019 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
We considered the FS, but chose otherwise because of location. However, the St Regis also wasn't right in the middle of things, but it was a more pleasant location than in Rome.
That´s the Point. StR may be slightly more central but not that much. Simply use Google to calculate distances. Some main spots are even nearer to FS. Location wise Portrait is the best of the 3, absolute best (only on location) is Rocco Forte Savoy.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I am always amazed and curious why so many say this. It's a 12-15 min walk or 3 min taxi ride from the StR to the "better located" Hotel Eden or Hotel Hassler that are pretty much at the Spanish Steps. It's a 12-15 min walk or 3 min taxi ride from the StR to the Trevi Fountain. It's a 20-25 min walk or 8 min taxi ride to the Coliseum. It's a 12 min taxi ride from the StR to the Vatican. It's a 10 min walk or 3 min taxi ride from the StR to the train station. It wasn't more than a 5-12 min walk or taxi ride from the StR to any of the Michelin restaurants at which we dined, as well.

We loved the StR as a hotel. We loved the StR for its proximity within easy walking distance and certainly easy driving distance of less than 15 min to all of the major sights and best restaurants. What's the issue?
In this point I agree. I stayed at StR and other hotels (Eden, Spanish Steps) and found location of StR OK. If you like to travel around with tube StR location is even better. For the Colosseo/ Forum for excample way from St. Regis is shorter than from Hassler/ Eden (OK, still around 2 km), so that´s not the point. For restaurants StR is not great while Hassler/ Eden have good options in-house (especially Imago at Hassler is spectacular), while you have always to drive to the number one La Pergola.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:29 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
For restaurants StR is not great while Hassler/ Eden have good options in-house (especially Imago at Hassler is spectacular), while you have always to drive to the number one La Pergola.
As it were, 1* Imago and 3* La Pergola wouldn't relax their jacket req't so we wouldn't bother.

But 2* Il Pagliaccio was just a 10-12 min taxi ride from the StR and did'n't require a jacket and 1* La Terrazza at the Eden was just a 10-12 min walk for us from the StR. Also, 1* Aroma at the Palazzo Manfredi overlooking the Coliseum was a mere 10 min taxi and a 20 min walk back for us.

I don't think the StR is as badly located for restaurants as you believe.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

As it were, 1* Imago and 3* La Pergola wouldn't relax their jacket req't so we wouldn't bother.

But 2* Il Pagliaccio was just a 10-12 min taxi ride from the StR and did'n't require a jacket and 1* La Terrazza at the Eden was just a 10-12 min walk for us from the StR. Also, 1* Aroma at the Palazzo Manfredi overlooking the Coliseum was a mere 10 min taxi and a 20 min walk back for us.

I don't think the StR is as badly located for restaurants as you believe.
Not badly, but also not great. It´s no starred Restaurant in-house and the walk to Terrazza/ Imago is not the most pleasant in my eyes.

p.s.: When I ever see you I will give you a jacket
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: Miles & More, Executive Club, American Express Membership Rewards
Just finished a stay at JK Place in Rome. I’ve stayed at many of the other “top” hotels in Rome and JK ranks among the best, IMO. A little more boutique and hidden but great service, design, and well located.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:02 am

In Italy I never bother with Michelin - it only favours places with smart cutlery and glassware. I like the little places around Trastevere in Rome where you can get plate of razor clams or sea urchin risotto and bottle of Frascati for less than the price of a Lamborghini.
BLV likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not badly, but also not great. It´s no starred Restaurant in-house and the walk to Terrazza/ Imago is not the most pleasant in my eyes.

p.s.: When I ever see you I will give you a jacket
While I love a starred restaurant or Pellegrino ranked restaurant as much as many foodies, I absolutely will say the StR Rome F&B was excellent. We enjoyed all of breakfasts, all of our snacks, room service, and a lunch at the hotel. Just because there isn’t a Michelin restaurant isn’t a detractor for me as I’m unlikely to dine in a Michelin restaurant more than once in any stay!

(Ironically, we did love 1* Winter Garden at the StR Florence so much that we did dine there on both our first and last nights, however.)
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:45 am
BLV

Originally Posted by Pausanias
In Italy I never bother with Michelin - it only favours places with smart cutlery and glassware. I like the little places around Trastevere in Rome where you can get plate of razor clams or sea urchin risotto and bottle of Frascati for less than the price of a Lamborghini.
EXACTLY!

Rome isn’t about Mich * (which aren’t a good representation there to begin with). As far as hotels, I’ve been staying in SLH properties on/around Via Margutta last few years and there’s no going back to any of the hotels mentioned here.

In Florence I like Lungarno.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by BLV
EXACTLY!

Rome isn’t about Mich * (which aren’t a good representation there to begin with). As far as hotels, I’ve been staying in SLH properties on/around Via Margutta last few years and there’s no going back to any of the hotels mentioned here.

In Florence I like Lungarno.
Bingo. If I was in Florence and ate a single non-breakfast meal at the St. Regis, I would be very disappointed in myself. A palpable lack of imagination and a failure of a trip.

The StR also feels cheap and like a caricature of Italy. It’s simply no comparison to the Four Seasons.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by yorkz80
Just finished a stay at JK Place in Rome. I’ve stayed at many of the other “top” hotels in Rome and JK ranks among the best, IMO. A little more boutique and hidden but great service, design, and well located.
JK Place is great. Worth noting the Fendi Suites are owned by JK.

its challenging. I think the service at JK is excellent but rooms too small. And I expect the opposite when I’m at the Fendi Suites in November.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sophialite
The StR also feels cheap and like a caricature of Italy. It’s simply no comparison to the Four Seasons.
Such hyperbole is unnecessary. The StR and FS have the same owner, so such hyperbole miserably fails, as well. The StR may not be your style, just as the FS may not be ours. We don't like the FS, and you don't like the StR. But pretending that either is cheap, a caricature, or not among the very best hotels in Florence really undermines you and does you no favors.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:27 am

Such hyperbole is unnecessary. The StR and FS have the same owner, so such hyperbole miserably fails, as well. The StR may not be your style, just as the FS may not be ours. We don't like the FS, and you don't like the StR. But pretending that either is cheap, a caricature, or not among the very best hotels in Florence really undermines you and does you no favors.
There's no need to be sensitive. Ironically, the statement that mine is hyperbole is itself hyperbole, because the furnishings, decor, and ambience are indeed cheap and chintzy.

The Four Seasons building is steeped in history. Again, incomparable.

If I was to reject the Four Seasons due to location, the only other hotel at this level is arguably the JK Place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.