FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Inspirato Pass Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1977862-inspirato-pass-program.html)

Colin Aug 16, 2023 12:18 pm

could you book a 8 pass days 4n trip 3 days out that would tie up your pass for 1 day after the trip ends? my understanding is NO, the trip must be fully paid in pass days when it ends. this detail is important because it limits how close-in you can book trip. a 20 pass day 4n trip could not be booked only 4 days out, right?

SusanDK Aug 16, 2023 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 35502884)
i think you can’t book a trip 3 days out because that trip would have to be priced at 3 pass days or fewer. pass doesn’t allow banking of pass days.

There was a time when Pass trips were a minimum of 7 days out, but that changed a while back. It was shortened to have trips available a minimum of 2 days out, which was brilliant for a while because availability was quite high for spontaneous trips on very short notice.

As Gatorsvs confirms, it is still possible, in theory, to get trips on very short notice, but my monitoring of the Pass list has noticed that trips with very short notice are very few.

Gatorsvs, are the Pass trips released once per week, similar to Jaunt? I do like the way banking days can be accomplished, and that it is possible to have more than one trip on the books simultaneously.

Gatorsvs Aug 16, 2023 12:21 pm

could you book a 8 pass days 4n trip 3 days out that would tie up your pass for 1 day after the trip ends?
NOT NORMALLY - usually your pass becomes available the day you check out or sometimes before.

a 20 pass day 4n trip could not be booked only 4 days out, right?
That would be an 8 day trip in almost all cases. Like the one I just booked 4 days from now for 4 nights.

Colin Aug 16, 2023 12:26 pm

do you book dummy stays far out to avoid losing pass days to thin air when not traveling for a bit? when dummy trip is cancelled, those pass days become banked, right?

Gatorsvs Aug 16, 2023 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 35502993)
There was a time when Pass trips were a minimum of 7 days out, but that changed a while back. It was shortened to have trips available a minimum of 2 days out, which was brilliant for a while because availability was quite high for spontaneous trips on very short notice.

As Gatorsvs confirms, it is still possible, in theory, to get trips on very short notice, but my monitoring of the Pass list has noticed that trips with very short notice are very few.

Gatorsvs, are the Pass trips released once per week, similar to Jaunt? I do like the way banking days can be accomplished, and that it is possible to have more than one trip on the books simultaneously.

There are a TON of trips 4 days out. Some as short as 2-3 days out.

It's not a theory. It's a fact. Go search for yourself. I just told you I booked the place in Mexico for 4 nights away. Go search for yourself before throwing shade on Inspirato.

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 35503011)
do you book dummy stays far out to avoid losing pass days to thin air when not traveling for a bit? when dummy trip is cancelled, those pass days become banked, right?

Yes, then you have banked days and can book multiple trips back to back.

SusanDK Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Gatorsvs (Post 35503064)

It's not a theory. It's a fact. Go search for yourself. I just told you I booked the place in Mexico for 4 nights away. Go search for yourself before throwing shade on Inspirato.

I'm not throwing shade, not sure how you perceive that. I'm truly trying to make it work for my husband and me - I like Inspirato and the Pass concept. Sheesh. If you bothered to read my previous posts, I've been monitoring closely for a couple of years, i.e. I do frequent searches, sometimes weekly. I was, in fact, a Club member before Pass was introduced, and have considered joining Pass for the past couple of years but it hasn't quite fit our travel pattern yet.

You said to ask questions - I asked a couple legitimate questions in my previous posts but you haven't bothered to answer them. You only jumped all over one statement I made which was made based on the fact of searching the Pass list very frequently over the past couple of years. I've seen changes and I see fewer trips with very short notice than I did a year ago.

I know you just booked a trip 4 days out; I did not dispute that. I'm suggesting that, based on my very frequent searches, these very short notice trips are not as abundant as they first were when Inspirato changed to allow bookings within 2 days instead of the previous 7 days.

Colin Aug 16, 2023 1:41 pm

The main limiting factor to booking close-in Pass stays is that you have sufficient Pass Days available between today & check-out date to cover the number of Pass Days the trip requires. The below trip costs 17 pass days for 09/02/2023 check-out. 17 is the number of days between today and 09/02/2023. There is likely inventory for an earlier check-in at this property, but such a trip is not offered when browsing because there would be insufficient Pass Days available to fully fund the trip prior to check-out. An interesting unknown is what would happen if you were a Pass member, were logged in as a Pass member, and had a bank of Pass Days from a cancelled stay. Would Inspirato offer more close-in Pass trips to such a member when browsing because they'd be able then to fully fund the trip in Pass Days prior to check-out?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fc2a5ea61e.jpg

The Pass program is structured under the assumption a large number of $82 Pass Days ($30K/365) are spoiled. The above principle of fully funding trips prior to check-out is essential to ensure a large number of spoiled pass days.

I'd ignore the shade, Susan. He seems weirdly hostile in most replies.

spgplat21 Aug 16, 2023 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gatorsvs (Post 35503064)

Yes, then you have banked days and can book multiple trips back to back.

How does it work to book trips far out to bank days? My hangup with the pass has been that we can travel quite a bit, but that's pretty much limited to a 4-5 month period. It sounds like I may just be missing a big part of how the program works. I have always assumed I'd just lose the days during the periods I can't travel, so with what I've been able to find trips for during that 4-5 month period through Jaunt and the other periodic discounts, I think I'm paying less than I would what I could book with the pass program during those 4-5 months. But maybe that's not the case if you could essentially consolidate all your pass days into that shorter period of time.

Colin Aug 16, 2023 2:06 pm

if you're not traveling anytime soon and you don't want to fund some high-priced-in-Pass-Days aspirational trip, Pass members with a FlyerTalk-esque gaming mindset will book a dummy trip way far out that costs tons of Pass Days (say 90 Pass Days). Then, 60 days go by and so you've funded the trip with 60 Pass Days. You then decide you want to go somewhere next week. So, you cancel the dummy trip, 60 Pass Days go to your bank, and your Pass is available to use. You book a 10 Pass Day close-in trip, youre bank goes to 50, and then you book another dummy trip to prevent spoiling each new Pass Day.

SusanDK Aug 16, 2023 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 35503202)
There is likely inventory for an earlier check-in at this property, but such a trip is not offered when browsing because there would be insufficient Pass Days available to fully fund the trip prior to check-out. An interesting unknown is what would happen if you were a Pass member, were logged in as a Pass member, and had a bank of Pass Days from a cancelled stay. Would Inspirato offer more close-in Pass trips to such a member when browsing because they'd be able then to fully fund the trip in Pass Days prior to check-out?

I don't think a logged in member with banked days would see different availability because of the way 'banked' days work. As I understand from the way it works now, you can cancel any trip that is more than 60 days out and get those days back. So members who don't have an immediate need for their days will go in and book a trip far into the future in order to start the clock ticking on days. Then when something comes up sooner that they want, they cancel the future trip so their days are immediately available.

To really maximize Pass, you have to be quite vigilant and ensure you always have a new trip booked - even if you don't plan to take it - any time your Pass becomes available. Otherwise, those days are lost. Not that there is anything wrong with doing this - it is an improvement over how Pass worked initially, where you could not book a new trip until your current one was completed. A person willing to put in the time and research can really maximize Pass.

SusanDK Aug 16, 2023 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 35503281)
if you're not traveling anytime soon and you don't want to fund some high-priced-in-Pass-Days aspirational trip, Pass members with a FlyerTalk-esque gaming mindset will book a dummy trip way far out that costs tons of Pass Days (say 90 Pass Days). Then, 60 days go by and so you've funded the trip with 60 Pass Days. You then decide you want to go somewhere next week. So, you cancel the dummy trip, 60 Pass Days go to your bank, and your Pass is available to use. You book a 10 Pass Day close-in trip, youre bank goes to 50, and then you book another dummy trip to prevent spoiling each new Pass Day.

We were posting at the same time - you described it far better than I did! :)

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether you would get to 'bank' the 50 days in your example, or if you lose them. I thought that members usually booked low Pass day trips (e.g. a 5-10 Pass day trip for next year), so when they cancel it, they have those small number of days to use. And that they might do this with lots of low-value trips.

Colin Aug 16, 2023 2:41 pm

I was so close to paying the $30K in December, so researched this quite a bit. Shorter dummy trips would indeed be a solution if it works as you suggest. I do wonder what percentage of Pass members let days spoil. It must be high for the whole economics of Pass to be profitable, but the whole Pass program has sufficient complexity that I'd tend to think most Pass holders would be sophisticated gamer-adjacent types. Decided against the program because last minute J cabin air is so expensive these days and we're not going to be traveling on long flights in coach.

joe2020 Feb 19, 2024 10:31 pm

What do you get for a referral do I get anything?

Originally Posted by USCtrojanGirl (Post 31943630)
I signed up in December after pondering for several months. I can put you in touch with a knowledgeable member of the sales team I trust (she wasn’t the first one I spoke with) and I will get a bonus for the reference. (Yay and thanks!) Contact their main number 888-625-7525 and ask for Alyssa, tell her Lara gave you her name. I’d also be happy to talk to you in detail about my experiences thus far. Here is a short recap...

Benefits for me:
1. a set lodging budget/fee
2. confidence I’ll be in an amazing property (often that I couldn’t justify without PASS
3. usually perks/upgrades when in hotels and I enjoy locations of their residences.

Concerns to ponder:
1. if you aren’t flexible and need to schedule months out you may not see a return on investment
2. the 7 day out booking window combined with only having a specified number of reservations open at a time = being able to travel 10-15 days a month most likely with PASS 1. If you book homes that are 8K a week that’s a steal, but if you book a king room at MGM not so much.
3. Incidentals (parking/meals) at 5 star properties add up, given you’d be paying those if you booked online...but still something to remember.
4. length of trips in single location.
5. availability as there seems to have been a major influx of members in December and inventory is not what it was previously.

In my first month, I estimate I enjoyed lodging over triple my pass cost based on rates online. My ROI is huge and I’ve stayed at places beyond my normal travel budget. I have concerns going forward, but trusting the pros will win out 😊. Again I’m happy to answer any questions!

KatW Feb 21, 2024 1:29 am

Can’t imagine paying that kind of money and THEN having to work so hard with high uncertainty to “enjoy” my benefits.

SusanDK Feb 21, 2024 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 35503202)
The main limiting factor to booking close-in Pass stays is that you have sufficient Pass Days available between today & check-out date to cover the number of Pass Days the trip requires.

The Pass program is structured under the assumption a large number of $82 Pass Days ($30K/365) are spoiled. The above principle of fully funding trips prior to check-out is essential to ensure a large number of spoiled pass days.

The Pass program has recently been changed once again, so that now many trips booked close in will block Pass Days beyond your check out date. The super good deals where you could sometimes snag a high-value property close in for very few days, because your Pass was only blocked until check out, are mostly gone.