Wiki Posts
Search

Jaisalmer, India -- Suryagarh

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Jaisalmer, India -- Suryagarh

I’m looking for insight into this property and Jaisalmer more generally. I will need two rooms so trying to keep to $500 per room. Will be in Mumbai and Jaipur in December and have room for one other stop. Found a great flight from Mumbai to Jaisalmer and then Jaisalmer to Jaipur. Seems like on paper we’d prefer Jodhpur but there arent direct flights from Jodhpur to Jaipur so thats a no go. Suryagarh looks like a nice property, anyone with experience there? I figure a couple days with some village tours and camel rides would be a hit with my kids. It’s my wife’s 40th so the hotels have to be really nice.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:20 am

I would opt for The Serai by Sujan - very like an Aman and really special - SUJÁN Luxury Camps & Palaces
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I would opt for The Serai by Sujan - very like an Aman and really special - SUJÁN Luxury Camps & Palaces
Good suggestion but the website says it is closed my dates. A wedding perhaps?

I guess my more basic question is whether there are really that many options in Jaisalmer? I mean, I guess I shouldn't worry about sounding like a snob here but many of the places that are asking $150-200 a room per night have terrible photos with florescent lights and look like something I would expect to pay under $50 for and hope nothing tried to bite me while I slept. Total contrast to Jaipur and Jodhpur where I can find a number of nice boutiques in addition to some higher priced palaces. I can just skip it, and go to Jaipur direct, we shouldnt go somewhere just because it has a convenient flight. Suryagarh looks like the only place I would really want to stay, it better be at $425 per room.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by stephem
Good suggestion but the website says it is closed my dates. A wedding perhaps?

I guess my more basic question is whether there are really that many options in Jaisalmer? I mean, I guess I shouldn't worry about sounding like a snob here but many of the places that are asking $150-200 a room per night have terrible photos with florescent lights and look like something I would expect to pay under $50 for and hope nothing tried to bite me while I slept. Total contrast to Jaipur and Jodhpur where I can find a number of nice boutiques in addition to some higher priced palaces. I can just skip it, and go to Jaipur direct, we shouldnt go somewhere just because it has a convenient flight. Suryagarh looks like the only place I would really want to stay, it better be at $425 per room.
What a pity! Personally, I would not stay anywhere else, so best just skip it and go to Jaipur.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
What a pity! Personally, I would not stay anywhere else, so best just skip it and go to Jaipur.
Thanks, confirmed.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think this is a good call. I've not been to Jaiselmer since my first visit about 8 years ago, but it still scores in my top 10 least favourite places to visit, even now. It's one of those cities where everyone insists on coming up on talking to you about how everyone else is trying to rip you off, but they coincidentally are completely trustworthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.