Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report: The Sanchaya, Bintan, Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:03 pm
formerly known as deathscar
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Trip report: The Sanchaya, Bintan, Indonesia

Mods: if this belongs in another thread please feel free to merge.
Disclaimer: I was hosted by The Sanchaya for the duration of the stay, and paid some incidentals.

Happy holidays everyone! Finally getting through these reviews...

More photos/360s here: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/the-...-hotel-review/

Afraid no video this time, made a right mess of it - and only had 2 nights there and one day pretty much entirely rained out.

Overall, I would say that this property has a lot of promise/potential. It needs a few tweaks service wise, and maintenance needs to really be far better than it is.
The issue I suppose is making Bintan a proper destination - there's also a Banyan Tree and Residence also opened up recently, Alila has plans to open up (and I think a few more resorts are looking. But IMO it will always really be a "Singapore staycation/weekend crowd" rather than attracting international attention.
The other issue is the pricing and what you get for what you pay. They do occassionally do some great deals (last minute, or far in advance, and multi night stays), but I've also seen rates starting around USD 650/night++ on some days depending on season etc. The Thai Lawan Villas seem like a real waste without a private pool. And if you're paying for a private pool at The Sanchaya, you're paying eye watering amount for what you get (and you thought the Amans were expensive for private pools...)

Funnily, stayed at 137 Pillars just now - designed by the same folks as Sanchaya. I see 137 Pillars in many way as what I envisioned Sanchaya to be if it were better, just...at the beach instead of in Chiang Mai.

As always, feel free to ask questions or clarifications!

PHOTOS

Surprisingly pristine beach for so close to Singapore. No, I'm not naked...

The wonderful library. Arguably my favourite part about The Sanchaya actually.

The stunning main pool

Sanchaya from the beach

Thai Lawan Villa

WHAT I LOVED
  • Location. Most people going to Singapore or the region, especially for the first time, are going to give Bintan a miss. By itself, it’s not an incredible island worth visiting. Having said that, if you live in/around/near Singapore or frequently visit Singapore (but have already done Bali, Lombok, Borobudur, other Indonesian islands), then it’s time to stop going to Bali every year and maybe try something new? Even if it is your first time to Singapore and you have a couple of spare nights (but don’t want to bother with the hassle of flights), then a couple of nights at Bintan might just be the trick. Essentially, the convenience factor is a huge plus.
  • Arrival and check-in. Your arrival process begins as soon as you disembark from the ferry at Bandar Bentan Telani Ferry Terminal, where you’re greeted by a Sanchaya staff member and guided through the immigration/customs formalities. The Sanchaya’s lounge at the ferry terminal provides the waiting point to complete resort check-in formalities with refreshments, while you wait for the car to be prepared to take you to the resort.
  • Design. From the entrance through to the main areas and pool, the entire estate feels like the (rather large) holiday home of a very wealthy friend, a throwback to the 18th or 19th century. The design exudes the look and feel of a colonial plantation in the Caribbean with white, light and dark woods all coming together, and tiled floors reminiscent of art deco design.
  • Rooms. The rooms in and around the main structure carry on the elegant colonial vibe of the main areas, with white woods dominating. Rooms in the main structure feature sweeping views, while just flanking the main structure are multi-bedroom villas. The Lawan Villas are darker and feature more wooden tiling and floors. Rooms are spacious, with Lawan Villas starting at 67 sqm/721 sqft with the outdoor living space, while the entry level rooms (Junior Suite) in the main building are slightly smaller, but with enlarged terraces, and the Sanchaya Suite has a larger outdoor verandah and separate living space.
  • Beach. For a resort only an hour from Singapore, this is a pristine beachfront, featuring powder soft, fine, white sand. There are plenty of lounging options from sunloungers to elegantly-styled bales (that could do with a bit more shade)
  • Pool. The 50-metre long Olympic-sized main pool is stunning, located just in front of the main estate building.
  • Breakfast. There’s a good breakfast spread available, hot items made to order and a small buffet station that’s actually quite ample for the resort’s keycount. The breakfast was consistently good throughout our stay.
  • Art. Art plays a key role in the property’s image, with the estate owner Natalya Pavchinskaya’s collection dotted throughout with pieces from Thailand, Indonesia, Brunei, Malaysia and more scattered across the estate - some that perhaps fit in really well, others that are a little more obvious and may not appeal to everyone.
  • Library. This is one of the most stunning libraries I’ve ever been in, extending into the wine and cheese room (PERFECT!). The library is designed like a salon, reminiscent of exclusive clubs of yore, with two plush reddish-brown leather sofas. Plenty of casual reading.
POINTS TO NOTE
  • Sea. While the beach is beautiful, this is still in relative proximity to urban Singapore and crowded Batam, and the Singapore Strait is a busy route for cargo ships and oil tankers. During our stay, there were warnings on our desk to be wary of oil spills in the sea when swimming. While the beach looked inviting, the water didn’t necessarily.
  • Thai Lawan Villas. We generally loved the rooms at The Sanchaya, in particular the rooms in the main estate and the villas around it – the interiors are spectacular. However, the Thai Lawan Villas confuse us a little bit. They’re scattered around the lagoon in the back, but we’re never a fan of lagoon-side villas (especially in hot/tropical destinations where mosquitos are aplenty. These villas have no real view, nor a private pool to make up for it. The whole concept also feels distanced and rather disconnected from the otherwise colonial vibe emanating throughout the resort.
  • Service. The service throughout was warm and friendly, and generally pretty good, and we did not have any major incidents of service failure. However, with such a boutique property and with rates to match the very best in Asia, we did expect better and more attention to detail:
    • On a couple of occasions, housekeeping did not restock all the toiletries in the bathroom. We had to ask for toiletries to be replenished as they were left empty, and also to provide more (in a tropical destination where one is likely to shower multiple times along with a nice bath, two tiny AESOP plastic bottles of shower/bath gel just don’t cut it).
    • The beach basket is a wonderful touch, but it was always served with still and sparkling water – despite being asked on Day 1 upon check-in whether we drink still or sparkling (and answering still accordingly)
    • On one morning, after an hour of (attempting to learn) bicycling in the heat (which the staff were aware of), we went to the beach to get some refreshments and cool off. I asked for two coconuts, and two cold waters. I had to remind the team twice about my order, because they were seemingly busy carving the top of the coconuts to make them look pretty. Coconuts finally arrived 15 minutes later (and the basket with waters another couple of minutes later), and there was still no water. You’d expect the staff to be aware of our previous activity, and to realise that we probably wanted something quite quickly to quench our thirst. While we do appreciate the effort gone into making the coconut look pretty, we would have much preferred a drink (whether coconut or water) to be served ASAP. The team was usually good about bringing out the baskets with water and refreshments in a timely manner.
  • Maintenance. For a resort that is just about three years old, the maintenance is surprisingly poor. In particular, doors, shutters and screens in the villas (including, surprisingly, in the presidential Vanda Villa) are misaligned or function poorly (do not smoothly open up). There is also considerable wear and tear in the furnishings, even accounting for the aged/colonial look that the Sanchaya is clearly going for.
  • Apple TV. Having Apple TV in the room was great, as included in it was a whole load of movies that were pre-downloaded to a tablet, connected with the TV. Unfortunately, this was only theoretical rather than practical as the connection between the device provided and the TV was extremely poor, cutting out every 5 minutes, despite multiple attempts from the staff to fix it. In the end, we resorted to watching the movie in bed on the tablet which isn’t ideal at all. Coming across some rainy days, having a proper connection to the TV would have worked wonders.
  • Food and pricing. We found the food to be quite exorbitantly priced (in comparison to some of the more established luxury hotel chains or boutique hotels). However, the general portions are also very filling, so adjust for that in your orders. Overall, the food at the resort was quite good although it could definitely have done with more refinement upon presentation.
  • Activities and excursions and pricing. There are a series of complimentary activities and excursions on offer (paddle boarding, cycling etc) but similarly, we found the pricing of the activities to be rather exorbitant (IDR 1,000,000++ per person for a wine and cheese pairing) in comparison to some of the more established luxury hotel chains or even boutique hotels.
SanDiego1K, offerendum and LinLant like this.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Dec 25, 2018 at 11:12 pm
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks! The water seems to be a big downside for me. The problem with the maintenance is something I experienced from time time. It seems quality is not always top priority or they think they mustn't do anything during the first years.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:07 am

Thanks for posting.

I’ve visited Bintan a couple of times and find it an interesting place. Venturing out of the resort to places like Pulau Penyenget is well worth it.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks! The water seems to be a big downside for me. The problem with the maintenance is something I experienced from time time. It seems quality is not always top priority or they think they mustn't do anything during the first years.
Yep - I guess the best way I can liken Bintan is that it's the Macau to Hong Kong's Singapore. Albeit if given a choice, I'd much prefer a Bintan over a Macau! It's still nice to stroll around the beach or spend a weekend out by a nice pool/in a bale at a luxury resort sipping coconuts/cocktails all day, even without ever getting into the water
I guess it's also one of the "I'm in Singapore for 72-96 hours and flying out after and need something beach-like but don't want the hassle of flights" crowd.

The maintenance is an issue - I was shocked. 137 Pillars predates this but is far, far better maintained.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

always great details and photos !

were there many non-guests dining etc?
edit - sounds like one has to ask re events

496 room
546 lagoon
703 suite
1149 2BR beach (multiple)
1686 3BR lagoon pool (one)
8010 4BR beach pool (one)
wonder re top upgrade via iprefer/smith
IIRC launch rates were much higher

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 5, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
always great details and photos !

were there many non-guests dining etc?
Thanks!

The first night we arrived, most guests were comprised of the travel exhibition crowd, whether enjoying a stay there or there just for a meal to check out the resort.
The weekend brought more Singaporean staycationers though (it was also a long weekend I believe).

One thing to note about the beach - the sand quality is surprisingly fine and good (is it local sand?). Sanchaya keeps their area of the beach (and just beyond) rather spotless, but if you go for a walk along the stretch, there's far too much trash washed ashore (no development or hotels further that way). Really sad actually, because it's quite a nice beachfront.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.