Search

Recommendations Yucatan, Mexico: Merida and Tulum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Chable Yucatan and Hotel Essencia/ Chable Maroma

With the Rosewood Mayakoba being unavailable and grossly priced/too large for what I believe it offers, we now have settled on a combination of Chable Yucatan and either Hotel Essencia (Tulum) or Chable Maroma to celebrate my 50th in Jan 2019. (We’d consider the oceanfront pool suite at the Belmond Maroma, too, but feel it may not be intimate enough for us this time.)

Anyone have experience with the air con at any of these? Especially curious about Essencia and Chable Maroma.

Any other experiences with Essencia or Chable Maroma?

Anyone who has stayed at Essencia, any recommendation on accommodation type? I’d require a private plunge pool. I don’t necessarily need beachfront or even ocean view. But some view might be nice.

Thanks!

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 18, 2019 at 2:43 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Regarding Tulum, the "scene luxury" hotel is Be Tulum. Frankly, I was not impressed and the prices are off the charts for what you get. In a similar but cheaper vein is Le Zebra. Too crowded for me and too many transient people at the crowded and loud bar. Personally I really liked Ana Y Jose Charming Resort and Spa. It was quiet, the service was wonderful, good food on property, great location. They also had a nice stretch of beach. I didn't use the spa, but the room was also great, we had a private plunge pool and plenty of space.
Londonjetsetter likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Bit late for the OP...

La Zebra (Tulum)
Hacienda Santa Rosa and San Jose (near Merida)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
New in Tulum is La Valise which looks smaller and quieter than Betulum with less of a party vibe and better service according to reviews. I’m thinking about trying it along with Esencia this winter.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thanks to @BESVISOR and @MacMyDay (and his lovely fiancee MsMacMyDay, soon to be MrsMacMyDay) we now are booked for my 50th birthday extravaganza in Jan 2020--using Citi Prestige concierge for 4th night free--at:

Chable Yucatan, 6 nights, Casita King
Hotel Esencia, Quintana Roo, 5 nights, Penthouse Suite

Let the air con magic/debacles begin. Because I'll be in the Yucatan in Jan 2020, everyone can be sure it will be much hotter than usual. Sigh.
KatW, lb8001, BESVISOR and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:11 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks to @BESVISOR and @MacMyDay (and his lovely fiancee MsMacMyDay, soon to be MrsMacMyDay) we now are booked for my 50th birthday extravaganza in Jan 2020--using Citi Prestige concierge for 4th night free--at:

Let the air con magic/debacles begin. Because I'll be in the Yucatan in Jan 2020, everyone can be sure it will be much hotter than usual. Sigh.
Fantastic!! Will be a great celebration!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Fantastic!! Will be a great celebration!
Indeed. It was a bit of a shock to my husband's system to have to actually pay for hotels and luxurious suites instead of just entry level rooms and getting upgraded into massive suites at StR, RC, and Luxury Collection properties.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:45 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Indeed. It was a bit of a shock to my husband's system to have to actually pay for hotels and luxurious suites instead of just entry level rooms and getting upgraded into massive suites at StR, RC, and Luxury Collection properties.
Amazing! After all these years, you two still manage to surprise one another. LOL!!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold

Congratulations! Given I will be there only a few weeks before you I will happily accept a heatwave so you can have some cooler weather. I think a ‘Norte’ with clouds and chilly winds is more likely at that time of year.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Given I will be there only a few weeks before you I will happily accept a heatwave so you can have some cooler weather. I think a ‘Norte’ with clouds and chilly winds is more likely at that time of year.
Thank you, Sir! Now if only from your lips...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in Quintana Roo at the very end of December 2018, and I have to say I was often cold, even to the point of wearing a sweatshirt on the beach a couple of days, and cardigans over my dresses in the evening, and didn't even turn the AC on some days (and I like to sleep very cold) as the overnights were down to about 55F/13C. Ocean was too cool to be much fun (quick dip here and there but normally I live in the water). I am hoping for your sake that the resorts have heated pools, and that you do get a bit of a heatwave, might be too cold otherwise!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma69
I was in Quintana Roo at the very end of December 2018, and I have to say I was often cold, even to the point of wearing a sweatshirt on the beach a couple of days, and cardigans over my dresses in the evening, and didn't even turn the AC on some days (and I like to sleep very cold) as the overnights were down to about 55F/13C. Ocean was too cool to be much fun (quick dip here and there but normally I live in the water). I am hoping for your sake that the resorts have heated pools, and that you do get a bit of a heatwave, might be too cold otherwise!
Ah...no. You’ve sadly missed the “His Royal Coldness” on my signature line. I LOVE it cold. I’m in Big Sur now where it’s 55 F and I’m wearing shorts. I HATE heat. I’ve already confirmed that the air con at both properties can achieve 65 F at night and 67 F during the day.
KI-NRT likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've had by far my most luxurious Yucatan stay at the old Starwood Santa Rosa boutique property. Now I was a bit lucky in that this was some years ago when people were afraid to travel to Mexico and we were the only guests. But we had one of the best beds we've ever slept in. A huge solid 4-rope bed hanging from the ceiling, in our private casita.

I don't know what's happened to the Starwood Luxury collection of Haciendas with the Marriott takeover, but I know that at least a few of these were truly luxurious boutique hotels.
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I've had by far my most luxurious Yucatan stay at the old Starwood Santa Rosa boutique property. Now I was a bit lucky in that this was some years ago when people were afraid to travel to Mexico and we were the only guests. But we had one of the best beds we've ever slept in. A huge solid 4-rope bed hanging from the ceiling, in our private casita.

I don't know what's happened to the Starwood Luxury collection of Haciendas with the Marriott takeover, but I know that at least a few of these were truly luxurious boutique hotels.
The Santa Rosa was originally part of GHM's Hacienda collection - some lovely little places dotted within the Yucatan, which were overseen by the ex-Amanresorts Pierre and Marieke Baumgartner. Starwood. as you say, took them all over, including two on the western coast - Tamarindos (now closed) and Costa Careyes.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:48 am
Community Director Emerita

I just put together a wiki on the hacienda thread in the Marriott forum. I haven't stayed at any of them recently though am planning to return in 2020. Thus, I make no representations as to them being luxury properties. What I do know is that they have masses of charm. These are tiny properties, most with 10 rooms or fewer. That appeals to me enormously.

Map showing locations of each. Merida is the most convenient airport to visit the haciendas.

Hacienda Temozon, Temozon Sur While at Temozon, drive to Celestun to take a boat trip to see the flamingos and mangroves. Closest hacienda to Uxmal.
Hacienda San Jose, Tixkokob, Yucatan
Hacienda Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa
Hacienda Puerta Campeche, Campeche
Hacienda Uayamon, Campeche

Summary by thomasito in 2017:
Hacienda San Jose: beautiful gardens, great pool, big rooms
Hacienda Santa Rosa: the smallest and very charming, nice pool, beautiful building and nice rooms
Hacienda Puerta Campeche: not a real hacienda, in the middle of Campeche town. Not as charming as the other haciendas, but nice pool and beautiful courtyard + spacious rooms
Hacienda Uayamon: stunning setting, beautiful grounds, amazing pool and huge rooms (only suites)
Hacienda Temozon: biggest hacienda with 28 rooms, very elegant, great pool and nice (but dark) rooms, they have their own cenote and you can get there by a donkey carriage.

We will fly in and out of Merida and will need to overnight there at least at the start of the trip. What is the best hotel in Merida these days?
Musken likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.