Advice on Aman style alternative in the Caribbean

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Aman style alternative in the Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:51 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
From memory the largest pools in Mayakoba are at Banyan Tree
That resort specifically has been very pro-active about cleaning up and being on top of the seaweed issue mentioned above
The rooms at Nizuc might be more to the decor taste of the OP.... OP could also look into the new Chablé Maroma

I think the OP took Jumby off the list, but it (and many other Antigua places) are closed until 9-10-11 October anyways
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by moebod
Yes, someone here gets me

Anguilla is great Im sure, but no direct flights is the issue here.

By the way, Ive been to to Parrot Cay back to back when I was last in Turks (it was 5 years ago now). Definitely stunning beaches and the way to go if you like traditional looks. I just hated that it was old looking and so not my taste of design. I understand some are redone or are newer now, but Im scared to go back there lol. I think Amanyara overall was better for me. And its one flight, not sure why you say otherwise. Just an extra 25 minute boat ride to their island, no big deal. Ugh decisions. I dont know what to do.
sorry the connecting flight wasn't a knock on Parrot Cay, but a knock on returning to Turks and Caicos....

Originally Posted by ABG
From memory the largest pools in Mayakoba are at Banyan Tree
That resort specifically has been very pro-active about cleaning up and being on top of the seaweed issue mentioned above
The rooms at Nizuc might be more to the decor taste of the OP.... OP could also look into the new Chablé Maroma

I think the OP took Jumby off the list, but it (and many other Antigua places) are closed until 9-10-11 October anyways
The pools at Banyan Tree are impressive.. some of the largest I've seen for a private pool. Heated and a hot tub also in the second level rooms... the layout of those Mayakoba resorts just don't appeal to me... Hotel Esencia seems nice, but for the money seems pricey for Mexico.. I like the beach at La Maraoma (from the pictures at least) but the pool is of the plunge variety....

I've really wanted to go to the Chable hotels.. the Yucatan looks stunning.. and same with MAroma

​​​​​​​few
My friend who went to Parrot Cay told me it took like 1.5 hr to get there from the airport.. I think they ended up waiting on the dock for a couple guests....

A buddy of mine really likes La Samana; but they are closed as well..

I really loved St Barts as an island but it's too much of a pain to get to...

I know you weren't too keen on Dorado beach but they have a rediscover package that's pretty solid (starting at $499) that also includes the resort fee and continental breakfast (so probably like $150 value a day)
FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Oct 3, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

I dont want to go back to Dorado, no nice beach.

I see here some options that may work, but not sure and havent done enough research:

Nizuc, Chable Maroma (seems a bit too remote for my short travel though), and MO Canouan.

If not, we are looking at Amanyara, but hey I really am open to try something new if I can get really nice beach, nice room with VIEW - and good service. If not, I I will be kicking myself for not going back there.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:26 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

I dont want to go back to Dorado, no nice beach.

I see here some options that may work, but not sure and havent done enough research:

Nizuc, Chable Maroma (seems a bit too remote for my short travel though), and MO Canouan.

If not, we are looking at Amanyara, but hey I really am open to try something new if I can get really nice beach, nice room with VIEW - and good service. If not, I I will be kicking myself for not going back there.
I’ve looked at nizuc a couple times. Pros are that the travel is super easy. Super close to airport. Cons are that the beach doesn’t look appealing at all. I’ve gone back and forth between the pool pavilion and the master suite. Both have their pros and cons. In the end I’m not enamored with the rooms there...

i just looked at the MO Canouan... travel is a pain in my mind. Plus I think you can only get a private pool at the villa level... though if you stay a week I think they include private jet transfers....

I’ve looked at Hermitage Bay a couple times. It looks okay I guess.

Its a shame that Amanyara doesn’t have more pools on the ocean. Real design flaw. There’s only that one that isn’t available online.

Fdw
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

I’ve looked at nizuc a couple times. Pros are that the travel is super easy. Super close to airport. Cons are that the beach doesn’t look appealing at all. I’ve gone back and forth between the pool pavilion and the master suite. Both have their pros and cons. In the end I’m not enamored with the rooms there...

i just looked at the MO Canouan... travel is a pain in my mind. Plus I think you can only get a private pool at the villa level... though if you stay a week I think they include private jet transfers....

I’ve looked at Hermitage Bay a couple times. It looks okay I guess.

Its a shame that Amanyara doesn’t have more pools on the ocean. Real design flaw. There’s only that one that isn’t available online.

Fdw
Thanks re Nizuc. Will cross it off.

Yeah, I dont want a "it looks OK" property to settle with. Id just go back to Amanyara and suck up the no pool or the no view. At least it has nice grounds and good service. I dont know.

Let me speak with the MO, and lets see how hard it is to get there.

Last edited by moebod; Oct 3, 2018 at 6:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:38 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Idk, amanyara failed to impress me and right now there are teeming issues. I don’t think any of their budget rooms, ie non-villas, are worth going to.

Anguilla is not direct because you fly from sxm! It’s a tiny private jet that then takes 3 minutes. No time in the airport, blah blah. It’s really one flight.

I think by restricting yourself to hoteks youre missing the high end options on the Caribbean. But I can understand if you want something more on the mid-range side of things. Like you, I also have severe budgetary constraints a and have to comprimise.

If amanyara was marketed by a different group it would have been viewed as severely overpriced.

If you want some really great beaches, the exumas or better yet a private yacht catamaran in that area could be great. That’s why one of next trips boat only... but hey, I’m probably the only one on this forum who’s not wowed by hotel rooms, even though they are often cheaper, so take me with a grain of salt. But expand those horizons... this is a forum about luxury travel not just chain hotels!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Cap Juluca is now a Belmond property and they have put a lot of money into the renovation. You would be hard pressed to find a nicer beach than the one CJ sits on.

There is also a new lux boutique property Quintessence. I have heard good things thing but I have not stayed. Definitely worth a look. AXA is blessed with several stunning beaches and fabulous food.

​​​​​​https://www.qhotelanguilla.com/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=businessadvanta ge
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DSI
Idk, amanyara failed to impress me and right now there are teeming issues. I don’t think any of their budget rooms, ie non-villas, are worth going to.

Anguilla is not direct because you fly from sxm! It’s a tiny private jet that then takes 3 minutes. No time in the airport, blah blah. It’s really one flight.

I think by restricting yourself to hoteks youre missing the high end options on the Caribbean. But I can understand if you want something more on the mid-range side of things. Like you, I also have severe budgetary constraints a and have to comprimise.

If amanyara was marketed by a different group it would have been viewed as severely overpriced.

If you want some really great beaches, the exumas or better yet a private yacht catamaran in that area could be great. That’s why one of next trips boat only... but hey, I’m probably the only one on this forum who’s not wowed by hotel rooms, even though they are often cheaper, so take me with a grain of salt. But expand those horizons... this is a forum about luxury travel not just chain hotels!
ok ok sxm with small flight works. But what do we have thats open next week??
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:13 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Maybe try the Mandarin Oriental Canouan? It's has very high praise on here from a couple of posters. No private pools though (villas only). Also, bizarrely, think you get better value at Amanyara if timed right (albeit low season) with their inclusive packages.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:04 am

Hi All,

Im looking to get out next week for 3 nights. I was going to go to Amanera, the issue is they are closed for another month ;(

My requirements are:

- One easy flight out of NYC area (or PHL) with no crazy long drive to the resort since we only have 2-3 days to get away (with travel time).
- Modern, and service should be on par or close to an Aman.
- On NICE beach grounds, with a private pool (unless we are taking Amanpulo style nature then can be fine with just beachfront access, which I dont think exists near us)

Been to Jumby Bay and Parrot Cay, dont love hard product (rooms) at all. And very not modern anyhow. Loved loved Parrot Cay beach, but rest was a turn off. Been to Puerto Rico Dorado, hotel nice but beach terrible.

I have been to Amanyara before, probably my next go to of what Im familiar with- but dont love as much as Era as it doesnt have that view and pool combo. Also, I dont love the timing of the flights, but if no other ideas I am likely to go back there.

Anyone that can help with any ideas, would be appreciated!
i think at parrot cay you really need to be in the beach villa+ ... from the pictures it seems to be a pretty large jump up in quality from the lower level rooms. We had a Como suite, which is really just 2 of the base level rooms with a wall knocked out on the top floor and the room certainly left a lot to be desired.. we did pay significantly less than we paid for an ocean pavilion at amanyara
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geoffk
i think at parrot cay you really need to be in the beach villa+ ... from the pictures it seems to be a pretty large jump up in quality from the lower level rooms. We had a Como suite, which is really just 2 of the base level rooms with a wall knocked out on the top floor and the room certainly left a lot to be desired.. we did pay significantly less than we paid for an ocean pavilion at amanyara
Of course. I was in a beach villa there, the main Building there would not be "on the map"
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it possible for owners (and guests) to stay in aman residences when closed ?

moebod, did you look at all the different residences at parrot cay ?

ABG, take a look at new residences at rosewood including the top one

good point re nizuc, jean michel gathy and planned as GHM
nytimes.com/2008/08/31/realestate/commercial/31sqft.html

dorado seemed mostly sold out of $499 rooms when i looked

i can understand why people go back to same place / aman after doing necker
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
is it possible for owners (and guests) to stay in aman residences when closed ?

moebod, did you look at all the different residences at parrot cay ?

ABG, take a look at new residences at rosewood including the top one

good point re nizuc, jean michel gathy and planned as GHM
nytimes.com/2008/08/31/realestate/commercial/31sqft.html

dorado seemed mostly sold out of $499 rooms when i looked

i can understand why people go back to same place / aman after doing necker
I assumed not possible to stay at Amanera this month, when I asked they have not given me any options to stay at a residence. Not sure if I would have paid for that anyhow. Re Parrot Cay, yes I have seen their residences at least digitally. Some are new, but most of them not my style. Theres like one modern one and its too expensive (and waste of space) for me and wife.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i meant talking to owner of 2BR if theyre allowed on property, but definitely residences at these places cost a lot

i like size of living space in residences, and have had unused bedrooms, but so far have only paid about yara entry rate [for hotel residences]

DSI you might try places like aman over holidays, yara hosted https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UB40 this past year
hellomagazine.com/travel/2018010145076/beckham-family-new-years-eve-celebrations-photos-instagram/
thehedonistmagazine.com/2017/11/28/aman-unique-festive-celebrations-in-tropical-destinations/
lovinturksandcaicos.com/lifestyle/celebrities-have-descended-on-tci-for-the-new-year

low occupancy can beat private villas but have to travel last minute which can be tricky

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 5, 2018 at 8:14 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
premier ocean view homes, one $11m, some contemporary exteriors, kiawah are only hotel managed etc beachfront in US, none in FL, but not sure how beach compares to dorado etc

caribbeanvillas.fourseasons.com/nevis_villas/pinneys_beach/
caribbeanvillas.fourseasons.com/nevis_villas/belmont_and_stewarts/

fourseasons.com/oceanclub/accommodations/villa-residences/three-bedroom-villa-residence/

in california there is new nobu ryokan

you mentioned aman and amanpulo

there is no real reason to consider other than yara, especially linked 1BR (rate = ?)

personally i liked necker island when low occupancy, not sure re beaches
also not sure whether any of sold moskito homes are contemporary etc

to me, ideal beachfront is lacking all over world, but especially in north america
I second Nobu Ryokan in Malibu - the nearest you can get to an Aman, and right on the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.