Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Belmond vs. Rosewood - How do you think the brands compare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Belmond and Rosewood are both luxury brands of very similar sizes but not as discussed as Aman/FS/StR/RC/MO and some of the other hotel groups. I'm very curious to how all of you think they compare overall as brands. How do you think they compare in decor, design, service, amenities and location?

I've stayed at Belmond properties in Peru (Miraflores Park, Palacio Nazarenas, Hotel Monasterio, and Sanctuary Lodge), Brazil (Copacabana Palace), South Africa (Mount Nelson Hotel), and Spain (La Residencia).

I've only stayed at Rosewood properties in London and Beijing.

Personally, I think Belmond is the superior brand. Their properties are in great locations (Sanctuary Lodge is particularly jaw-dropping), and each hotel is really unique. Service is impeccable, and while at some locations the decor is outdated, the brand overall does a really great job of having visually stunning hotels and rooms (especially Miraflores Park, it really blew me away). I really loved Rosewood Beijing. Amazing location, attentive and helpful service. and staff with impeccable English. The pool is one of my favourite hotel pools ever. The Manor Club was cozy and really well put together. I have to say I preferred it to Aman at Summer Palace. Rosewood London on the other hand, was not as enjoyable. While the hotel has a great location, I found it surprisingly lacking in attentive service, the interior was dark, the decor was not to my taste, and it doesn't have a pool.

How do you think the brands compare overall? I'm eager to see what you say.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:19 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Belmond Asia is truly awful and they have to lose major points on that if we’re looking at overall. Have heard great stuff about their properties outside Asia.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Belmond Asia is truly awful and they have to lose major points on that if we’re looking at overall. Have heard great stuff about their properties outside Asia.
That's interesting to hear. As you can see in my original post, I haven't stayed at any Belmond property in Asia, as there is always an Aman/Peninsula/FS/MO/RC/StR or another hotel I'm eager to stay at and just haven't gotten to trying Belmond.

In South America (Peru/Brazil), Belmond really flourishes. All their South American properties are in extraordinary locations and there are few other luxury hotels in those countries, so they have little competition. South America is an interesting luxury market, in that the South American countries with luxury hotels have one or two luxury brands that run the vast majority of luxury accomodations in the country. Belmond controls Brazil and Peru. Tierra Hotels has Chile. In Colombia you have Sofitel and Four Seasons. Argentina is mixed, but Buenos Aires is Park Hyatt and Four Seasons. I think it would be really interesting if Aman moved into South America, but there are likely good business reasons why they haven't, probably due to lack of demand and lack of stability in many areas.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:50 pm

I've no experience with Rosewood but would like to give an observation about Belmond. I've stayed at around 8 of their properties in 5 different continents since their Orient Express days. In general, I've enjoyed my stays with Road to Mandalay being my favourite trip. They've consistently delivered on the hard product. Gorgeous properties in stunning locations (often with jaw-dropping views). Food has always been to a high standard though maybe not the best in the city.

What has likewise consistently irked me though is the nickel-and-diming. I'm of the opinion that VSOE could for example learn from Rovos Rail's full board + premium for selected items model than the charging for each and every item which really detracts from the flow of the trip. I was also scandalized when Hotel das Cataratas (an absolutely beautiful and unique property) told me that toothbrushes are not included in the room rate but are definitely available for purchase at the gift shop. Perhaps others would agree that this is unacceptable at a luxury property? Although that was the most egregious example, the general sense that everything comes at an extra cost has been pervasive across the board.

Last edited by TheBrownPrince; Sep 27, 2018 at 11:56 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
No nickel-and-diming at Belmond's property in Santa Barbara, El Encanto. Unfortunately that is my only experience with the brand (which was excellent).
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:30 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Rosewood's 3 outstanding properties and arguably best in its respective market:
Castiglion del Bosco in Tuscany
Las Ventanas in Cabo
Beijing
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Las Ventanas in Cabo
Las Ventanas does look stunning. I've been to Cabo twice but haven't yet stayed there (instead have stayed at O&O Palmilla and The Cape).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:34 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Wow, you've been to a lot of hotels. Would love to see a consolidated list.

How are you able to take so much time off for work? There has to be an interesting story!

Now that the mods have 100% guaranteed that you are not "Ben Price" a list would be absolutely intriguing. FWIW: Ben Price used to be on this board, had some decent points but ended up being a scammer. Apparently he had a fake law degree or something. Not really sure on the story, but thought you might find it interesting.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by DSI
Wow, you've been to a lot of hotels. Would love to see a consolidated list.

How are you able to take so much time off for work? There has to be an interesting story!

Now that the mods have 100% guaranteed that you are not "Ben Price" a list would be absolutely intriguing. FWIW: Ben Price used to be on this board, had some decent points but ended up being a scammer. Apparently he had a fake law degree or something. Not really sure on the story, but thought you might find it interesting.
Oh, it's definitely Ben Price.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:39 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Strong chance you'll love it, if you visit Las Ventanas
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:43 am
DSI

[QUOTE=callmedtop;30256380]Oh, it's definitely Ben Price.[/

yeah, same contrived writing style
PapaNico likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:43 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
He was spotted this week at an industry event in Cancun
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:49 am
DSI

How does the industry coddle a known scam artist? I thought he was kicked out of virtuoso.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by callmedtop
No nickel-and-diming at Belmond's property in Santa Barbara, El Encanto.
Both El Encanto and the Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara charge a daily resort fee of $35. The Four Seasons Santa Barbara does not.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by francophile
Both El Encanto and the Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara charge a daily resort fee of $35. The Four Seasons Santa Barbara does not.
Touche!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.