Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel to stay in Osaka?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Which hotel to stay in Osaka?

I can get a night at Ritz Carlton Osaka with some UR points but was wondering if there’s anything better?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by baydude
I can get a night at Ritz Carlton Osaka with some UR points but was wondering if there’s anything better?
I like the St. Regis as well. The new Conrad has amazing views, rooms and hardware but none of the service befitting such a place.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:08 am

I enjoyed my stay at the Ritz. Service was quite good and the breakfast buffet is quite nice. That or the St. Regis are nice.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The St. Regis is beautiful. I didn't like the service, but others on the forum have spoken highly of it. And the location is phenomenal, especially if you're there for the food.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:45 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The St. Regis is beautiful. I didn't like the service, but others on the forum have spoken highly of it. And the location is phenomenal, especially if you're there for the food.
Going to St. Regis Osaka in November - which places to eat would you suggest nearby?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Going to St. Regis Osaka in November - which places to eat would you suggest nearby?
Everywhere. The entire city is a foodie's dream!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
It's a short walk from Dotonbori, where I'm not entirely sure all the restaurants even have names. But as Aventine pointed out, really, everywhere. Matsusakagyu Yakiniku M was great, and the best Takoyaki shop I was able to find was along the river. There's really just a lot to be discovered by just walking around the area, you can grab a bite here and there with wonderful results.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Italian restaurant in the StR is really quite fabulous too. Inventive, delicious dishes for very reasonable prices.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I refer you to my review from May of our wonderful stay at the StR Osaka. I highly recommend it, especially if you value service.

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ew-issues-2626

We also visited and had lunch and drinks at the Conrad and Ritz-Carlton. The StR is better.

The Conrad hard product was incredible, but the soft product and service were troubling. If you care less about service, though, this hard product truly is incredible. Its lobby view is more impressive to me than the Aman Tokyo--and everyone knows that's high praise! The junior suite we saw was very nice, spacious, and really cool with dark elements that almost reminded us of a W/Edition vibe.

The Ritz-Carlton didn't impress us at all. It felt old and stodgy, with low ceilings and the dated and old-fashioned decor that plagued the RC brand for so many years. It was like walking into a retirement home for Westerners. The rooms and suites were not impressive at all to us, even as we were in a StR Osaka Grand Deluxe room that also needed updating! The RC was even more in need of updating and modernizing than the StR--by a long way.

The StR Osaka will soon undergo room renovations and is current renovating some of its restaurant spaces. Food for thought.

The La Veduta restaurant at the StR truly is sublime. I thought it was worthy of a Michelin star, truth be told. We dined there for a special anniversary dinner and for our lunch before departure. I'm actually still in touch with the Executive Chef. He's incredible--and a lovely man.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I refer you to my review from May of our wonderful stay at the StR Osaka. I highly recommend it, especially if you value service.

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ew-issues-2626

We also visited and had lunch and drinks at the Conrad and Ritz-Carlton. The StR is better.

The Conrad hard product was incredible, but the soft product and service were troubling. If you care less about service, though, this hard product truly is incredible. Its lobby view is more impressive to me than the Aman Tokyo--and everyone knows that's high praise! The junior suite we saw was very nice, spacious, and really cool with dark elements that almost reminded us of a W/Edition vibe.

The Ritz-Carlton didn't impress us at all. It felt old and stodgy, with low ceilings and the dated and old-fashioned decor that plagued the RC brand for so many years. It was like walking into a retirement home for Westerners. The rooms and suites were not impressive at all to us, even as we were in a StR Osaka Grand Deluxe room that also needed updating! The RC was even more in need of updating and modernizing than the StR--by a long way.

The StR Osaka will soon undergo room renovations and is current renovating some of its restaurant spaces. Food for thought.

The La Veduta restaurant at the StR truly is sublime. I thought it was worthy of a Michelin star, truth be told. We dined there for a special anniversary dinner and for our lunch before departure. I'm actually still in touch with the Executive Chef. He's incredible--and a lovely man.
Domestic guests like that Queen Anne style room decor at RC Osaka. I find it nauseating.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I'd appreciate any insights into solving this question:

Which is the best luxury hotel to pick if one wants to be close to the major rail station so as to use Osaka as a base camp for exploring Kyoto, Kobe, Hiroshima and Kameoka?

Many thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC

Which is the best luxury hotel to pick if one wants to be close to the major rail station so as to use Osaka as a base camp for exploring Kyoto, Kobe, Hiroshima and Kameoka?

Many thanks!
Everything in Osaka is kind of scattered and no true luxury hotels right on top of the station. Intercontinental Osaka is pretty close to Umeda station. RC is connected through the underground passages. The Conrad is a short subway ride or 15 min walk.

I don't believe Shin Osaka station has any sort of luxury hotel near there.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Everything in Osaka is kind of scattered and no true luxury hotels right on top of the station. Intercontinental Osaka is pretty close to Umeda station. RC is connected through the underground passages. The Conrad is a short subway ride or 15 min walk.

I don't believe Shin Osaka station has any sort of luxury hotel near there.
In the distant past I stayed at the Hilton across the street from Umeda. Unsurprisingly, it was OK but nothing special.

It always seemed to me that if anyone wanted to make somewhere their center for exploring the local area, Kyoto made a lot more sense than Osaka.

Just before Covid, I did a fairly thorough map search of the area around shin-Osaka station and was unable to find anything upscale, let alone luxury. So unless something brand now moved in, I concur with your view of that area.
obscure2k and 747FC like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:51 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 747FC

Many thanks!
Although St. Regis is strategically situated directly above Honmachi Station, making it very convenient for getting around town, the Conrad Osaka is also well situated and closer to Umeda Station and offers more creature comforts (pool, bath/sauna, Executive Lounge, larger fitness center, etc.) that make it more comfortable as a base of operation. After a long day of sightseeing, I'd much prefer to return to the comfort of Conrad, but that's just my opinion, others may think differently.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Although St. Regis is strategically situated directly above Honmachi Station, making it very convenient for getting around town, the Conrad Osaka is also well situated and closer to Umeda Station and offers more creature comforts (pool, bath/sauna, Executive Lounge, larger fitness center, etc.) that make it more comfortable as a base of operation. After a long day of sightseeing, I'd much prefer to return to the comfort of Conrad, but that's just my opinion, others may think differently.
Conrad is probably the best, newest luxury option in Osaka. Has everything this forum would want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.