Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extremely below standard - The Dorchester

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Extremely below standard - The Dorchester

We are checking out of the Dorchester this morning after a 1 night stay. I can’t wait. We had a 1 night stay booked in their Audley Penthouse Suite but the day before our arrival we received notification from our travel agent that we were going to be ‘upgraded’ to the Terrace Penthouse. I put the word upgrade in quotes because it was anything but. The suite was dated and in poor condition. The ceiling in the bathroom had water damage and mould on the wallpaper, the wooden floor around the base of the toilet had urine damage, every single piece of furniture was scuffed and scraped, the windows onto the terrace were drafty, the carpets needed replacing, there were cigarette butts on the terrace - it was probably the worst luxury hotel room I’ve ever seen. Within about 30 minutes I had seen enough and went downstairs and rejected the room. They seemed apologetic although not that surprised. I asked to move to 45PL but it was full. They eventually found a Dorchester Suite for us which was nice but not without its faults; the bidet toilet didn’t work, the front door is woefully in adequate and didn’t block out any corridor noise and it again seemed dated. The corridors are dark and with horrid decor - I can’t believe it’s the flagship of the Dorchester Collection.

This was our first and last stay at the Dorchester. AVOID!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Sounds like they need a complete teardown.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
Sounds like they need a complete teardown.
The whole hotel needs gutting and starting again. I literally couldn’t believe that the penthouse suite they gave us was their second highest category of suite on the property. It was shoddy. I was so close to walking out and going back to the Lanesborough. I would gladly take a smaller suite that is higher quality any day.

This morning our room service at 8:30 and she started unloading tempura prawns and a chicken biryani. Needless to say that wasn’t our breakfast order. When it came they forgot some of the items. Outdated hard product and poor service - it’s not luxury at all.

No reduction offered at checkout.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonjparr

No reduction offered at checkout.
Ouch.

Seems these days hotels would rather lose future guests than give any compensation. PH Seoul lost me when they gave me a suite with peeling shower glass film and none of the usual requests fulfilled.

I definitely wouldn't ever go near the Dorchester now. Seems the luxury forum is having a rash of poor stays these days.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 16, 2018 at 6:16 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dorchestercollection.com/en/london/the-dorchester/rooms-suites/the-terrace-penthouse
painful, and insane to not have put marble in watercloset like rest of bathroom

rooms page currently shows >
£2205 81m2 Audley Penthouse
£4705 124m2 Dorchester Suite
£5305 136m2 Terrace Penthouse
£5705 152m2 Harlequin Penthouse

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 16, 2018 at 10:34 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:49 am

Sadly does not surprise me. I stayed once in 2011 and even back then, not knowing really anything about luxury hotels, I didn't like it in the slightest. It never gets spoken about as a competitor to any of the true London luxury properties. Interestingly, neither does Claridges these days, but at least they have invested into significant refurbishments. The Ritz is also well past its sell by date. The old dogs have had their day.
boss315 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
matches this? painful
dorchestercollection.com/en/london/the-dorchester/rooms-suites/the-terrace-penthouse/

rooms page currently shows >
£2205 81m2 Audley Penthouse
£4705 124m2 Dorchester Suite
£5305 136m2 Terrace Penthouse
£5705 152m2 Harlequin Penthouse
Yes, that’s the category we had booked (and at that rate). The Terrace Penthouse that we were ‘upgraded’ to was not at all luxury and if people are paying those prices to stay in it they are utter fools. The Dorchester Suite was no way worth the price tag (which incidentally was about the same as the Buckingham Suite we had at the Lanesborough) and I told the Director of Guest Relations that this morning. She asked if I would go back to 45 Park Lane and Coworth again. Coworth - absolutely, yes, but 45PL probably not now I’ve seen how good the Lanesborough can be. She said that was very difficult to hear.

I am more shocked than anything that the sister property of two properties I hold in very high regard which is supposed to be their flagship is such a terrible hotel.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that’s the category we had booked (and at that rate). The Terrace Penthouse that we were ‘upgraded’ to was not at all luxury and if people are paying those prices to stay in it they are utter fools. The Dorchester Suite was no way worth the price tag (which incidentally was about the same as the Buckingham Suite we had at the Lanesborough) and I told the Director of Guest Relations that this morning. She asked if I would go back to 45 Park Lane and Coworth again. Coworth - absolutely, yes, but 45PL probably not now I’ve seen how good the Lanesborough can be. She said that was very difficult to hear.

I am more shocked than anything that the sister property of two properties I hold in very high regard which is supposed to be their flagship is such a terrible hotel.
Will you escalate to corporate to get a refund or just let it go and never go back?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
Will you escalate to corporate to get a refund or just let it go and never go back?
The letter has already been written.
obscure2k and Aventine like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We stayed a few years ago. They were renovating ( which we found out after booking or would not have booked!), and made it very clear they would keep us far away from room renovations as " quiet" is one of my key
requests and I said I did not want to stay if renovating. They said no problem as only limited areas. Well we arrived and our Jr suite was right near the hammering and saw. I immediately asked for a room change. They upgraded us to a large suite, but same problem. Bottom line after 4 room changes they finally gave us something acceptable but also made it very clear this was a huge exception as too much of an upgrade. They were pretty rude and condescending. It was a nice suite that was quiet and had been renovated but to have to change 4 times? Only reason we did not leave was our stay was only 2 nights and we had a dinner engagement we were already late. We haven't been back since and would never consider going again. I vote with my feet.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:25 am

I stayed in the Dorchester Suite in May. I thought it was lovely. I did hear a little noise from the connecting room door, but nothing horrible. I did not use the bidet so I cannot comment on that. The decor is traditional British with dark wood and floral carpets, etc. We did have two issues with food services, and I mentioned it to the GM upon check-out.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:18 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Sorry to hear!! Thanks for sharing, though!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
We are checking out of the Dorchester this morning after a 1 night stay. I can’t wait. We had a 1 night stay booked in their Audley Penthouse Suite but the day before our arrival we received notification from our travel agent that we were going to be ‘upgraded’ to the Terrace Penthouse. I put the word upgrade in quotes because it was anything but. The suite was dated and in poor condition. The ceiling in the bathroom had water damage and mould on the wallpaper, the wooden floor around the base of the toilet had urine damage, every single piece of furniture was scuffed and scraped, the windows onto the terrace were drafty, the carpets needed replacing, there were cigarette butts on the terrace - it was probably the worst luxury hotel room I’ve ever seen. Within about 30 minutes I had seen enough and went downstairs and rejected the room. They seemed apologetic although not that surprised. I asked to move to 45PL but it was full. They eventually found a Dorchester Suite for us which was nice but not without its faults; the bidet toilet didn’t work, the front door is woefully in adequate and didn’t block out any corridor noise and it again seemed dated. The corridors are dark and with horrid decor - I can’t believe it’s the flagship of the Dorchester Collection.

This was our first and last stay at the Dorchester. AVOID!
Terrible. Yes definitely should complain and try to ask for a refund. I am curious to know if you book this directly or through a travel agent? Usually a good agent will warn client against booking such properties rather than try to close the deal and pocket the commission.

I thought of trying this property few years ago because of a promotion offer but was told not to by my Virtuoso agent as he warned it's absolutely "old and terrible". Sounds quite true in retrospect. Funny how luxury hotels can get away time and again with such things.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone ever gotten recovery offer of discount on higher level accommodations, when willing to pay for them? of course in this case, not at same property, but instead at another property under same brand / owner / etc
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:47 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone ever gotten recovery offer of discount on higher level accommodations, when willing to pay for them? of course in this case, not at same property, but instead at another property under same brand / owner / etc
Booked a client at iL Sereno Lake Como in June...Had some issues. Contacted GM/Management for service recovery and sort things out, was offered significant discount for future visit to Le Sereno St. Barths.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.