Luxury NYC Trip Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury NYC Trip Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Member

QUOTE eaglesfan: I saw the Mark and it looks phenomenal! However, it comes in at a paltry $75,000 a night - pshhh, too cheap for my tastes! Just kidding, obviously

I hazzard a guess that any multi-bedroom suite in a lux hotel in NYC with or without a terrace will be mind-boggling expensive. Think stratospheric.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KatW
I hazzard a guess that any multi-bedroom suite in a lux hotel in NYC with or without a terrace will be mind-boggling expensive. Think stratospheric.
This should be the case. I guess it´s not very common this suites with lage terraces are rented by tourists (except people who don´t care about the rate of course). They are more thought for receptions or special occassions like a proposal,

Btw: Personally I would pay 75000 not to stay with parents (in law), uncle or whatever in one suite but this is of course not mainstream and off topic
MikeFromTokyo and callmedtop like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone looked at nightly residential rentals at new Four Seasons NY downtown?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 2, 2018 at 8:56 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
QUOTE eaglesfan: I saw the Mark and it looks phenomenal! However, it comes in at a paltry $75,000 a night - pshhh, too cheap for my tastes! Just kidding, obviously

Expensive, yes. $75,000 expensive? No. haha, that's just outrageous!

Originally Posted by offerendum
This should be the case. I guess it´s not very common this suites with lage terraces are rented by tourists (except people who don´t care about the rate of course). They are more thought for receptions or special occassions like a proposal,

Btw: Personally I would pay 75000 not to stay with parents (in law), uncle or whatever in one suite but this is of course not mainstream and off topic
Fortunately, I love her parents so we're good on that front!

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone looked at nightly residential rentals at new Four Seasons NY downtown?
For some reason I can't get into Four Seasons. I think it's because, at that price, I would rather stay at a hotel local to the town I'm visiting. I don't know.

If you stay there, let us know how it is!!

Last edited by EaglesFan0909; Jun 28, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:41 pm

A few pictures from our stay in The Baccarat in a Classic Suite

The hotel is what I will eloquently describe as "fine". Excluding the main areas, which I was told I cannot photograph, there's nothing stand out. I am no expert on the New York hotel scene, having only stayed twice before (during an era well before these hotels were affordable), so maybe it's the best hotel in New York, but for my standards of comparison to anything above a cardboard box, it's nothing to be impressed by. The Classic Suite is apparently 60sqm, but I must assume they are including the ventilation shafts on the other side of the street that our bedroom looked directly onto. It felt cramped, the living area felt like the emptiness one may experience in many-a-Park Hyatt or an empty aircraft hanger, the room setup was completely absent, breakfast was limited and boring and housekeeping forgot how to actually tidy anything. The pool even felt completely sterile, and then suffered the biggest faux pass possible: having an unheated hot tub. Apparently it was just broken, but no one considered letting anyone know that.

As we departed we asked them to store our luggage for the day, when we came back it took them 30 minutes to get one of the bags which contained some clothes for us to change into. After we finally got it we then got dressed and departed and they managed to lose our bags again, resulting in us needing to go into their back office and find them on their behalf.

The tiniest bedroom I've ever had (or at least on par with Rosewood London) in a suite, single vanity, awful view, average everything else. It felt like everything is shiny and beautiful, but nothing manages to stand out from the bling. I would go elsewhere next time.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks MacMyDay. Helped me cross one of my “want to visit” hotels off the list without needing to shell out any moolah.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks! Always found Baccarat interesting but doesn´t sound too appealing.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:23 am

I have some lovely Baccarat wine glasses and a decanter at home which I use for special occasions . . . and special wines. Why would I regard them as hoteliers?
Pierre&Cédric likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I have some lovely Baccarat wine glasses and a decanter at home which I use for special occasions . . . and special wines. Why would I regard them as hoteliers?
starwood capital group >
2005 acquired baccarat from tattinger
2007 announced baccarat hotels
2009 launched baccarat apartments shanghai
2015 sold baccarat NY to chinese Sunshine Insurance Group before opening
2017 sold 88.8% of baccarat to chinese Fortune Fountain Capital

corporate COO & NY hotel MD - ex st regis NY, montage beverly hills, RC

vs others >
arnault (LVMH) acquired cheval blanc in 1998, owns their hotels?
while bvlgari (LVMH) is joint venture with marriott, RC manages except for london

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 20, 2018 at 9:42 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks @MacMyDay.

Next time, I recommend the St Regis. Though I can’t speak to the spa.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 20, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks @MacMyDay.

Next time. I recommend the St Regis. Though I can’t speak to the spa.
We actually walked past it. I got a little flustered thinking of you.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:42 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We actually walked past it. I got a little flustered thinking of you.
I often have that effect on men. I hope you managed to get some sleep the next few nights; if not, I can proscribe some soothing lubricants for Lucie to apply.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks! Always found Baccarat interesting but doesn´t sound too appealing.
After having stayed at and loved both the St. Regis and Chatwal in NYC, it's tough to imagine better for us (though I can care less about spa, so I can't speak to that, of course). For anyone with Marriott elite status, they both are no-brainers. For anyone desiring a New York sense of place with high style, tremendous service, and incredible food/beverage, they also are obvious no-brainers.

That being said, we did have a Christmas Eve dinner once at the Cristal Room in the Musee Baccarat in Paris a few years ago. It was fabulous. That was our first hint that Bacarrat could be more. But @MacMyDay's appraisal of the hotel more or less agrees with our own from having stopped in a few years ago after its opening.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I’m currently in NYC now and had considered the Bacarrat. @BESVISOR had secured us a confirmed suite upgrade combined with a third night free. I’ve always been reluctant to stay there because it always seemed too fancy for me (I don’t own any crystal)... we chose the Surrey, given that’s it’s close to my parents. It’s fine; but I had a @bhrubin moment when I entered my room. Thermostat was set to 69; read 71... I cranked it down to 67 and low and behold it hit 67.. though didn’t test 65...
bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
What do you recommend in NYC to someone who basically only cares about hard product when I'm in a city where I understand the language? Focus on breakfast, location, bars, restaurants (pool would be amazing, but usually hard to find in the bigger western cities). I prefer entry level rooms or perhaps club level rooms over suites since I'm almost never in my room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.