Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I googled and read the Dorsia travel review on the Peninsula London. It's written in so comedic a fashion and so over-the-top critical I am not sure if I can take the author seriously. Also I can't imagine a luxury hotel like Peninsula will have a "drip drip" shower. Nevertheless, I guess I will find out myself as I am booked for an upcoming stay there. Apart from satisfying my curiosity about this property, they also offer a very attractive late check out with no extra charge until 10pm which is very appealing to me. So far TA reviews have been uniformly positive and granted the crowd there is less discerning than those here, I can't imagine that it can go that bad.
Could be an eco showerhead or just a fancy one without enough holes.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Welcome back, Gallivanters!
As posted on another thread , the Switzerland Luxury Hotels , “ .. Not who who think it is anymore at GG , sadly .. no more vuittonsofstyle posting .. “

Dorsia can be counted on unlike GG now , by some former subscriber who thinks he up to Lyn ‘ s calibre !!

QUOTE=BENLEE;36084034]I googled and read the Dorsia travel review on the Peninsula London. It's written in so comedic a fashion and so over-the-top critical I am not sure if I can take the author seriously. Also I can't imagine a luxury hotel like Peninsula will have a "drip drip" shower. Nevertheless, I guess I will find out myself as I am booked for an upcoming stay there. Apart from satisfying my curiosity about this property, they also offer a very attractive late check out with no extra charge until 10pm which is very appealing to me. So far TA reviews have been uniformly positive and granted the crowd there is less discerning than those here, I can't imagine that it can go that bad.[/QUOTE]

& BEN LEE , Dorsia is reliable - you need to get MacMyDay ‘ s English humour
scented likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 16, 2024 at 4:08 pm
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
As posted on another thread , the Switzerland Luxury Hotels , “ .. Not who who think it is anymore at GG , sadly .. no more vuittonsofstyle posting .. “

Dorsia can be counted on unlike GG now , by some former subscriber who thinks he up to Lyn ‘ s calibre !!

QUOTE=BENLEE;36084034]I googled and read the Dorsia travel review on the Peninsula London. It's written in so comedic a fashion and so over-the-top critical I am not sure if I can take the author seriously. Also I can't imagine a luxury hotel like Peninsula will have a "drip drip" shower. Nevertheless, I guess I will find out myself as I am booked for an upcoming stay there. Apart from satisfying my curiosity about this property, they also offer a very attractive late check out with no extra charge until 10pm which is very appealing to me. So far TA reviews have been uniformly positive and granted the crowd there is less discerning than those here, I can't imagine that it can go that bad.
& BEN LEE , Dorsia is reliable - you need to get MacMyDay ‘ s English humour [/QUOTE]

I have found Tom at Dorsia's reviews to be very observant and honest, with a dry sense of humor. Nothing over the top about calling it like it is.

Originally Posted by Aventine
Could be an eco showerhead or just a fancy one without enough holes.
Agree, might be an eco showerhead, and what a shame. Nothing is better than a strong deluge of hot water in a shower. It's not like London is in a drought and needs to conserve. They should have installed 10 gpm showerheads and 1 1/2" valves if the laws allow. Why spend all that money for their rooms and then have a miserably stingy shower, trying to get the soap off of you for ten minutes in the stingy sprinkle?
scented and cornwall4000 like this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 16, 2024 at 10:07 pm Reason: Please avoid consecutive posts, add to the previous post instead.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; LHW Sterling; SLH Inspired; Hilton & Marriott Gold; HT P9; (ex) AA survivor; Harrods Gold
Originally Posted by TheDetailsMatter
Also have read some not favorable tripadvisor reviews that Canton Blue is mediocre / bland where the food is concerned, and elsewhere that Brooklands food also lacks the wow factor..
Curious too about service from the doormen to front desk to the concierge to housekeeping to wait staff at the restaurants.
Please can someone here who has been to Peninsula London give me their opinions on the above?
Canton Blue I wouldn’t go to but the little bar downstairs was fun. Certainly concur that Brooklands lacks the wow factor, I was seriously underwhelmed in comparison to the Bibendum Claude Bosi. On the whole, would most certainly recommend The Connaught over The Pen, including on location.
EuropeanPete and scented like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheDetailsMatter
Has anybody stayed at The Peninsula London? I hear that the water flow from the showers is abysmally weak. just a drip, drip drip... And since I love a deluge of water when showering so I can wash and rinse my hair easily and am not in there for more than 5 minutes, I am almost tempted to stay at The Connaught instead, even though the suites are smaller.
Review on Dorsia travel about peninsula London was brutal. And Dorsia owner Tom is very accurate and pulls no punches, unlike online magazine reviews that call everything luxury nowadays (as Gallivanted Guide makes a point about).
Also have read some not favorable tripadvisor reviews that Canton Blue is mediocre / bland where the food is concerned, and elsewhere that Brooklands food also lacks the wow factor..
Curious too about service from the doormen to front desk to the concierge to housekeeping to wait staff at the restaurants.
Please can someone here who has been to Peninsula London give me their opinions on the above?
I thought the food was quite good at Canton Blue. Went for brunch on the weekend. The space is gorgeous and service is excellent

Is it the best Chinese food? No. But it's a fun experience with very good food. It feels a bit like Park Chinois.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Any thought on Biltmore Mayfair XLR? Great ABA rate that was a nice discount for an August stay. Looks like a great location and large rooms (2 adults and a 3 year old).
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:11 am

Choosing between Claridge's, The Cadogan, the MO Hyde Park - any thoughts? Not a fan of The Connaught's current state of renovation, and not able to afford the suites. Can probably get a Deluxe Suite at Rosewood, but I only like the designs of premier suite and above.

Claridges: Book Claridge's Room, in the hope of upgrading to Mayfair Balcony
The Cadogan: Book Deluxe Room, in the hope of upgrading to Junior Suite
MO Hyde Park: Book Mandarin Junior Suite, i have no idea what upgrade is possible but happy to stay in Junior Suite

I like the intimacy The Cadogan offers, and appreciate Claridge's long-lasting reputation.

We are traveling as a couple in May. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Four Seasons Preferred Agent, Rosewood Elite, Virtuoso Preferred, Marriott Stars, MO Fan Club.
Originally Posted by bw68
Choosing between Claridge's, The Cadogan, the MO Hyde Park - any thoughts? Not a fan of The Connaught's current state of renovation, and not able to afford the suites. Can probably get a Deluxe Suite at Rosewood, but I only like the designs of premier suite and above.

Claridges: Book Claridge's Room, in the hope of upgrading to Mayfair Balcony
The Cadogan: Book Deluxe Room, in the hope of upgrading to Junior Suite
MO Hyde Park: Book Mandarin Junior Suite, i have no idea what upgrade is possible but happy to stay in Junior Suite

I like the intimacy The Cadogan offers, and appreciate Claridge's long-lasting reputation.

We are traveling as a couple in May. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Claridge's is your best bet and arguably the best choice overall in the city today. While The Cadogan offers a charming level of intimacy and personalized service, it may not consistently meet the highest service expectations yet. MO indeed boasts some of the finest dining options, but as a complete package (the advantage here is that MO tends to generous with upgrades when booked via MO Fan Club), but it doesn't quite reach the exceptional standards set by Claridge's. Additionally, do consider Raffles for its stunning architectural beauty—it truly is a sight to behold

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 8, 2024 at 7:46 pm Reason: Delete signature as member has not yet met the requirements for one.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:29 pm

Choosing between Claridge's, The Cadogan, the MO Hyde Park - any thoughts?
Choosing the "right" hotel is such delightful endeavor! It's one of the great little joys of life.

tl;dr: Claridge's for its freshness and spry service. Staying here is just a special experience.

I have no personal experience with The Cadogan, unfortunately. All I know is based on hearsay. I have a colleague who relishes the highly personalized service and "intimacy."

I was at Claridge's back in January. It may be a grande dame but there's a surprisingly youthful buzz and energy to the place. The staff are very proud of the renovations and this has lead to an exuberance not often experienced in hotels these days. The art deco finishes in the rooms are overly theatrical, but I very much appreciate the use of space and sense of place. I especially appreciate the bathrooms. The bars (which are the heart and soul of every great hotel) at Claridge's are outstanding. The restaurant? Meh. Something that must be considered: Claridge's is seemingly always busy. There was always a commotion, even midweek in January; a constant stream of people coming for tea or drinks or whatever. This gives Claridge's a sense of vitality but does put a strain on the staff, though they would never show it.

MO Hyde Park is a perfectly fine hotel. I think it's gorgeous. I strongly prefer the contemporary room decor here over the over-the-top deco feel of Claridge's. But--and it's a big but--I hate the MO's claustrophobic bathrooms! Service at MO is generally solid but uninspired and certainly lacks the playfulness & enthusiasm found at Claridge's. I would even say the service at MO can be downright stuffy. My biggest gripe involves the restaurants & bars. I absolutely do not worship at the altar of Heston Blumenthal and unfortunately his presence is too keenly felt here. Way too pompous and just not enjoyable. The bars, though truly beautiful, also suffer from this sense of taking themselves too seriously.

So, for me, it would be Claridge's all the way.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:33 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Can probably get a Deluxe Suite at Rosewood, but I only like the designs of premier suite and above.
If you can swing the deluxe suite cost, Rosewood will upgrade to premier at time of booking thru Rosewood Elite
That might be better than booking something elsewhere with the "hopes" to upgrade to what you really want to meet budget
Old Apr 6, 2024, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by PhelipeCardoso
Claridge's is your best bet and arguably the best choice overall in the city today. While The Cadogan offers a charming level of intimacy and personalized service, it may not consistently meet the highest service expectations yet. MO indeed boasts some of the finest dining options, but as a complete package (the advantage here is that MO tends to generous with upgrades when booked via MO Fan Club), but it doesn't quite reach the exceptional standards set by Claridge's. Additionally, do consider Raffles for its stunning architectural beauty—it truly is a sight to behold

CEO at Sekai travel. Partners with Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Hyatt Privé, Dorchester Diamond Club, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini and MO Fan Club.
Originally Posted by Vaterland
Choosing the "right" hotel is such delightful endeavor! It's one of the great little joys of life.

tl;dr: Claridge's for its freshness and spry service. Staying here is just a special experience.

I have no personal experience with The Cadogan, unfortunately. All I know is based on hearsay. I have a colleague who relishes the highly personalized service and "intimacy."

I was at Claridge's back in January. It may be a grande dame but there's a surprisingly youthful buzz and energy to the place. The staff are very proud of the renovations and this has lead to an exuberance not often experienced in hotels these days. The art deco finishes in the rooms are overly theatrical, but I very much appreciate the use of space and sense of place. I especially appreciate the bathrooms. The bars (which are the heart and soul of every great hotel) at Claridge's are outstanding. The restaurant? Meh. Something that must be considered: Claridge's is seemingly always busy. There was always a commotion, even midweek in January; a constant stream of people coming for tea or drinks or whatever. This gives Claridge's a sense of vitality but does put a strain on the staff, though they would never show it.

MO Hyde Park is a perfectly fine hotel. I think it's gorgeous. I strongly prefer the contemporary room decor here over the over-the-top deco feel of Claridge's. But--and it's a big but--I hate the MO's claustrophobic bathrooms! Service at MO is generally solid but uninspired and certainly lacks the playfulness & enthusiasm found at Claridge's. I would even say the service at MO can be downright stuffy. My biggest gripe involves the restaurants & bars. I absolutely do not worship at the altar of Heston Blumenthal and unfortunately his presence is too keenly felt here. Way too pompous and just not enjoyable. The bars, though truly beautiful, also suffer from this sense of taking themselves too seriously.

So, for me, it would be Claridge's all the way.
Originally Posted by ABG
If you can swing the deluxe suite cost, Rosewood will upgrade to premier at time of booking thru Rosewood Elite
That might be better than booking something elsewhere with the "hopes" to upgrade to what you really want to meet budget
Thank you all for the input. They are really helpful. It seems that Claridge's wins by a mile! I will probably splurge a little bit and book directly Claridge's Balcony Room. Will definitely report back after the trip.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AC75K, Bonvoy LTit, HH Diamond, SL Jade, ALL GOLD, IHG Diamond, GHA Plat, BA Gold
Both Claridges and the Connaught have recently released a 4th night free offer that extends to part of September, I’m still considering the Rosewood (best value), Cafe Royal (nicer room than the Rosewood - +GHA benefits) Peninsula (very expensive but released a 3rd night free offer-flex time is very interesting) The Berkeley - like location and room size and 4th night free. End of August early September. Thoughts still appreciated! TIA
reigndrop likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 5:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by jman4321
Both Claridges and the Connaught have recently released a 4th night free offer that extends to part of September, I’m still considering the Rosewood (best value), Cafe Royal (nicer room than the Rosewood - +GHA benefits) Peninsula (very expensive but released a 3rd night free offer-flex time is very interesting) The Berkeley - like location and room size and 4th night free. End of August early September. Thoughts still appreciated! TIA
I like Rosewood because of the guaranteed upgrade offer for Rosewood Elite. Even if you don’t stay there, you should consider visiting Scarfes Bar… it’s one of the top bars in my opinion.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
Dorchester has a guaranteed upgrade too, if you book with a Diamond Club advisor...
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:47 pm

Ritz London

Anyone know the best place for Ritz London rates? I currently use Amex FHR but also joined the Leaders Club (LHW). I've heard that AAA and AARP and other associations might provide better rates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.