Thailand Honeymoon Help for Nov/Dec 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand Honeymoon Help for Nov/Dec 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:43 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Four Seasons did have a Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai + Koh Samui special.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I see no value in hopping from Krabi/Phuket to Koh Samui. What for? Just pick one resort and stay there for at least a week. I would narrow it down to Four Seasons Koh Samui, Rayavadee, or Trisara.
Secondly, do not underestimate the amount of time you need in Bangkok or Chiang Rai. There’s a lot to do in these wonderful places.
Totally agree

QUOTE=MikeFromTokyo;29356957]I
Also, you really should experience a riverside hotel stay in Bangkok if you haven’t already. The Peninsula and even Mandarin Oriental are very reasonably priced for deluxe room accommodation, and the experience will be so much nicer. On the other hand, if you do prefer to use points there are acceptable choices such as St. Regis.
[/QUOTE]
They are quite the experience. Although they should come with the warning that it is difficult to get to most of the city from them, especially if you have to fight traffic in Chinatown.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Talking

devils avocat....

Just might be worth pointing out that Samui might be fairly wet at that time. Phuket/Krabi should be better; have stayed a few times in Nov. Siem reap is fantastic ( and the various Temples of Ankor spectacular; we visited there as part of our Honeymoon so i may be biased ) and I really enjoyed Phum Baitang but I'm not sure how it would work with your trip.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:02 am

Stayed at Trisara last year and really enjoyed the experience. After doing my own honeymoon in South Africa at luxury properties, I'd consider Trisara on par - agree that you should stick to one island though, too much movement!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:17 pm

I celebrated my honeymoon in Thailand in November and December and did Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Golden Triangle (check out my TR!). If possible I would shoot for FD GT, it really is an unforgettable experience. My advice would be to drop Dhevi in Chiang Mai, stay some place a little more affordable (Anantara was very cheap when we booked and it's nice, just make sure you get the suite), and go for FS GT. I did Amanpuri over Trisara, mainly because we like to interact with other travelers and we felt Trisara might be a little too isolated. We considered Koh Samui over Phuket, but read about the rainy season, and decided to go with Phuket. I can tell you that we did not go with an all anantara stay, and we were upgraded. FS GT doesn't have any upgrades that we cared for (hot tub in a jungle didn't really make sense to us).
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:05 pm

Re multi hotel stays - Four Seasons may negotiate discounted upgrades. There is also the possibility of the free two nights at other FS if booking three plus nights at FS Golden Triangle, if that offer is still available. That could take care of two nights at FS Chiang Mai or Koh Samui.

Minor FS are of course managed separately from Anantara, so multi hotel discount is less likely across different brands. However, wholly within FS or Anantara, something may be possible. There is no published offer for multi hotel discounts that I am aware of, but I think a few emails to management of the relevant properties might yield results. They would definitely want to win the business.

An all Anantara or all FS itinerary would very likely make upgrades easier to negotiate. (Anantara Siam Bangkok may also negotiate in conjunction with other FS stays, as it was previously FS BK.)

If Anantara - join their membership program (which is GHA membership) to avail of discounted rates and benefits.

Anantara has its Layan property next door to Trisara, which would likely be within budget.

This is true, but that is of no help to someone wanting free accommodation in order to stretch budget on other parts of a larger itinerary. Point valuation goes out the window if one is not trying to maximize redemption value, but simply save cash.
Im at the Anantara Layan now, actually. Its a good property, but honeymoon worthy? maybe not.
Anyway, as a GHA black, I got a 3 category upgrade which was nice. The Layan pool villas are really good, but they cost the same as Trisara.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by surftb15
Anyway, as a GHA black, I got a 3 category upgrade which was nice.
This is amazing.
3 categories ?? Really ?? Any exemptions ? At time of booking or at check-in ?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

black publishes 2 category if available at checkin, limits unknown, may recall someone saying more (new) limits like all others having been doing recently

'regulars' at FS have long reported cases of receiving multiple category upgrades, more than any other company, and not all of them use travel agents

FS has published multi-property offers in pretty much every asian country with a resort (also south america, as well as 'stopovers' in US) - in thailand such offers were not limited to the more recently introduced one that required a stay at GT. re FS offices seems thailand falls under singapore sales office.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 3, 2018 at 6:53 am
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:02 pm

Im at the Anantara Layan now, actually. Its a good property, but honeymoon worthy? maybe not.
Anyway, as a GHA black, I got a 3 category upgrade which was nice. The Layan pool villas are really good, but they cost the same as Trisara.
My primary suggestion was Trisara, but mentioned Layan in the context of a possible multi property negotiation. The Layan residence villas and higher category pool villas are very nice. And it’s certainly nicer than the Starwood/Marriott properties mentioned in the OP.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

My primary suggestion was Trisara, but mentioned Layan in the context of a possible multi property negotiation. The Layan residence villas and higher category pool villas are very nice. And it’s certainly nicer than the Starwood/Marriott properties mentioned in the OP.
Bit awkward for a couple to be in the residence villas though. They're huge.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Bit awkward for a couple to be in the residence villas though. They're huge.
It is their honeymoon after all!

As a strictly cost basis, the residence villas represent a great value. Though it seems they are empty most of the time.

Layan is actually quite nice.. I ended up extending for 3 nights. The service is great and the vibe is younger and more well dressed then other properties in Phuket Its quiet but close to everything you need

The only room category I would book is the Layan pool villa It's very spacious and the seperate living room is a great sizes
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:01 am

As a strictly cost basis, the residence villas represent a great value. Though it seems they are empty most of the time.

Layan is actually quite nice.. I ended up extending for 3 nights. The service is great and the vibe is younger and more well dressed then other properties in Phuket Its quiet but close to everything you need

The only room category I would book is the Layan pool villa It's very spacious and the seperate living room is a great sizes
Villa ownership at Layan or Trisara is actually a long term goal of mine.

Anantara is a Thai brand that attracts a high level of local Thai clientele in addition to foreigners, especially at its flagship locations such as this one. In that part of Phuket, people with their own private homes also visit the resorts for dining and spa treatments.

FlyerEC and surftb15 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:27 am

Villa ownership at Layan or Trisara is actually a long term goal of mine.

Anantara is a Thai brand that attracts a high level of local Thai clientele in addition to foreigners, especially at its flagship locations such as this one. In that part of Phuket, people with their own private homes also visit the resorts for dining and spa treatments.

That is a great goal! I hope you achieve that ASAP!
FlyerEC and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:31 pm

It is their honeymoon after all!
Haha. Perhaps - maybe it's because I'm from/grew up in Hong Kong but I think 2 people staying in a 10,000 sq ft mansion is a bit creepy. Despite the amazing views etc - it's just far too much space for 2 people to the point it gets creepy/awkward rather than luxurious.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:02 am

What did you end up deciding for Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok? I am planning my honeymoon for July / August 2019.

We decided on the Conrad Koh Samui, though a bit out of the way, the reviews were great and views look stunning. For ~$600 a night versus FS at ~$1,200, it seems like a much better value. I will also note I am Hilton Diamond status so hoping to take advantage of that.
We are still trying to decide on Chiang Mai between Pillars, FS, and Dhara. I cant decide which one offers better value. From a price standpoint, they seem relatively similar and frankly, we wouldnt mind being outside of the city so the FS seems like a good option.
For Bangkok, since the merger of Marriott and SPG happened (I am Platinum Elite), we are looking at properties like the JW and the St Regis. That said, I have heard amazing things about the Shangri-La right on the water so may do that.

Would be great to hear what you did!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.