Hacienda Altagracia, Costa Rica - what an amazing experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing

The little that people know of me, I don't usually write reviews (leave it to the experts ), but have to say that this place was superb.

The hard product is one of the best I have experienced and the soft product ranked as one of the best as well. It was my favorite vacation thus far this year (and that says alot as we loved Mukul, St Regis Bahia in PR) and definitely a couple of levels above Amanyara (least favorite out of the group).
It really felt like an 'Aman" resort (I hate to describe it like this, but seems easier to relay the feel of the experience).

The general manager is the ex-Amangiri GM, JP Alfonso. JP met us on arrival (we took advantage of their private plane, as they have their own airstrip), during our stay, and on departure.

This resort is in the mountains, 4.5 hour drive from San Jose airport in Costa Rica. The resort has an option to pick you up from the airport on their private Cesna (they have three, two 4 seaters and a nine seater). We took this option and it was exhilarating. A 25 minute flight over the mountains, through mist and along the coast was amazing. They are situated in the mountains. 54 or so villas. Smallest around 1,000+ sq ft. They have one of the best stables in that part of the continent with over fifty horses. Provide flights on gliders as an excursion and have a huge, first class spa with an amazing indoor pool overlooking the scenery. This is on approximately 800 acres of private property.

The rooms, we stayed at a premium deluxe suite (separate living room, 1.5 baths) with stunning views of the mountains and the surrounding area).
You could see the mist come through every day, beautiful.
Housekeeping always was invisible and turn-downed, etc. done when we were out on activities. Great food (grow many of their own food) and personalized service.
Staff were absolute gem, warm and truly wanting to help. We felt like family there and every wish was met and surpassed. Example, we went horse riding a couple of times...they had towels, drinks, fruit all set up for us on our return...even was presented with a gift from one of the guides. This level was present on all excursions and activities we did. Also, their pool was similar to those of Aman (though small...plans on building another one). the spa was amazing and the views...sorry, gushing already.

A place to recharge and reconnect with nature in style. We loved it. A hidden gem worthy of this forum.

Last edited by mumum17; Jul 21, 2017 at 11:30 am Reason: expanded.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:21 am

A wonderful review, thank you for sharing!

This hasn't been on my radar - we spent 6-7 weeks in CR a few years ago - but perhaps I ought to consider returning.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:45 am

This is an Auberge Resort - that seems to be performing very well these days! Thanks for the review - really interesting.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Thanks aa213bb and Vuittonsofstyle,
I had expectations, but they were surpassed in this trip. The pictures truly are representative of the place, but, as we all know, they usually don't do justice. The landscape,resort and all worked to complement each other so well. i personally like going to places like these in the off season (like this) as you really get to immerse yourself with the resort/staff and they seem to go the extra mile a bit more often IMO.

The only thing I would add, is the best food/dinner we had was actually at Mukul in their fine dining restaurant (where everything is made specific to your likes/dislikes, as there is no set menu). Aside from that, the food here was definitely quality and in line with other well reviewed venues. Now, the bartenders, at least for my wife and I, were one of the best...Old Fashions and Manhattans were the best I have had since hitting the Ralph Lauren bar/restaurant in Chicago.

Last edited by mumum17; Jul 21, 2017 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:04 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Haven't heard of this before. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Maybe some post pics please when convenient? Definitely curious!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

LOL! Aventine...the only pictures that I can show are of the scenery (beautiful though as the mist goes through mountains daily), as many of the rest are primarily of my wife and myself.
i have to get into the habit of taking a few of the accommodations going forward...enough to say, when your suite has two separate thermostats (separate one for the bedroom), great blackout shade options, ceiling to floor glass wall across the whole back side of the villa, fireplace, two flat screen tvs, great espresso machine, a mini bar area (with complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic bevs restocked daily), an expansive patio with stunning views, etc...one can forget to take pictures .
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mumum17
scenery (beautiful though as the mist goes through mountains daily), as many of the rest are primarily of my wife and myself.
indeed, the actual memories

this forum has long been more about actual review. while photos of room/hotel views and room/hotel setting can be helpful, or things not covered on hotel website, its most valuable when correcting misleading photos on hotel website, but even that can be explained. i think i speak for others when i say we greatly appreciate the time/effort people take writing up reviews when they get home. photos are fine, but enjoy leisure resort trip.
mumum17 likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 24, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Is traveling here a bad idea in mid-August?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:06 am
Original Poster

I don't think so at all...we went during mid-July. There is a chance of rain in the afternoon but, if it clears up. Actually, it rained twice during our trip in the afternoons and that was perfect...the excursions were done by late mornings, we rested up during the rain in our villa's porch overlooking the mist swooping through the mountains with a glass of wine, and when rested and ready to go again, the rain had passed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.