Re : Resorts in Italy - Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

Recently, I tried the Kempinski Berchtesgaden resort which is nested among the Bavarian Alps and really love it. It's located about 2 hours drive from Munich, have great F&B and surrounded by lots of natural scenery and soaring mountain views, and also hiking trails to explore, along with beautiful mountains and lakes not too far from the resort. It's truly rejuvenating and relaxing.

I will like some recommendations of similar resorts if they exist in Tuscany ( in my impression, is the most beautiful part of Italy, could be wrong ), or other parts of Italy. I am looking for

1) Great view, among mountains or lakes with plenty of fresh air
2) Lots of interesting places like forrest hiking trails, small villages or towns to explore by foot nearby
3) Excellent on-site F&B
4) Room doesn't need to be top of the line luxury but comfortable with modern conveniences
5) Should not be too remote, preferably within 2+ hours drive or by train from a major Italian city but also should not be swarming with tourists
6) Lots of on-site facilities like restaurants, gyms etc

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BENLEE; Jul 20, 2017 at 8:15 am
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We just had a fantastic stay at the Castello di Casole in Tuscany. It is 30 minutes from Siena and 60 minutes from Florence. It had excellent on site food and wonderful Tuscan views from all over the property. The rooms were lovely and spacious and the service was very good. I would highly recommend it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
We just had a fantastic stay at the Castello di Casole in Tuscany. It is 30 minutes from Siena and 60 minutes from Florence. It had excellent on site food and wonderful Tuscan views from all over the property. The rooms were lovely and spacious and the service was very good. I would highly recommend it.
I totally agree with you - I love this hotel. Much friendier and relaxed, too, than Castiglion del Bosco, although that, too, is not to be sniffed at.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Thanks ValveKing and VuittonofStyle. Will check out Castello Di Casole.

Anyone with any other recommendations?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by BENLEE

I haven't actually been there so can't recommend personally so maybe others can confirm if this meets your requirements - but would Villa Feltrinelli fit the bill ?

Been on my list for a while
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:39 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Independent of your hotel choice: If you want Tuscany without the hordes of tourists, you should avoid (at least) July and August. The tiny beautiful villages tend to be jammed with pedestrians.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:45 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I totally agree with you - I love this hotel. Much friendier and relaxed, too, than Castiglion del Bosco, although that, too, is not to be sniffed at.
We stayed there a couple years back. Here's a link to my review.. while we loved it (absolutely loved it) I would caution that the service seems to be slanted more towards American tastes (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)... just so you're forewarned that it's not the most authentically Italian place... Infinity pool was great, nice countryside views (but not that wide open mountain or lake view open air feeling) and I really enjoyed the couple meals we had on site... Hard product was top notch; except for an awkwardly designed bath tub... definitely a nice place to spend some time....

FDW
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:35 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE

My wife and I own/manage a country inn called Lupaia, located in Southern Tuscany close to Montepulciano and Pienza. It's rustic luxury in a farmhouse dating back to 1622, 11 rooms and suites, a restaurant with a great chef (not me), infinity pool and gorgeous views.

We bought it in 2015 as a change-of-lifestyle decision, trading city buzz to country life. It's not 5* polished luxury, but we've traveled a lot and try to do a lot of things differently than the traditional Italian luxury hotels. So your criteria 1) through 5) are met, for 6), well, restaurant and pool, and mountain bikes. Still debating whether or not to add a gym.

Last edited by livefromtuscany; Jul 21, 2017 at 4:37 am Reason: updated
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:43 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Unless something changed, I usually give the edge to Castiglion del Bosco as they have many rooms/suites with a proper terrace or balcony. At Castillo Di Casole the rooms in the main building do not have any.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ry-hotels.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...o-preview.html

Originally Posted by ejong
...Ferragamos

...young employees at Castiglion del Bosco were, in our opinion, trained even better than the ones we see at Four Seasons.
Groombridge mentioned room quality, IIRC even better in villas

vienna-resident, wow, hope things are going well !

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Castello di Casole ... American tastes
(as it is american real estate development)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:53 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
We stayed there a couple years back. Here's a link to my review.. while we loved it (absolutely loved it) I would caution that the service seems to be slanted more towards American tastes (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)... just so you're forewarned that it's not the most authentically Italian place... Infinity pool was great, nice countryside views (but not that wide open mountain or lake view open air feeling) and I really enjoyed the couple meals we had on site... Hard product was top notch; except for an awkwardly designed bath tub... definitely a nice place to spend some time....

FDW
Castello di Casole is American-owned (Timbers), but staff is 100% Italian, so I would not say that service was Americanised at all.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Unless something changed, I usually give the edge to Castiglion del Bosco as they have many rooms/suites with a proper terrace or balcony. At Castillo Di Casole the rooms in the main building do not have any.
I would not stay in the main building - the low-rise wings in the 'village' have some good suite options, but best of all are the Villas in the grounds, which are superb.

However, I would agree that Castiglion del Bosco has more of a high quality feel to its suites - the finish is very fine indeed. Given that both hotels are in very different regions of Tuscany, I think that combining the two works very well. They both have a lot to offer.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:05 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Looks beautiful, Vienna-Resident!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
My wife and I own/manage a country inn called Lupaia, located in Southern Tuscany close to Montepulciano and Pienza. It's rustic luxury in a farmhouse dating back to 1622, 11 rooms and suites, a restaurant with a great chef (not me), infinity pool and gorgeous views.

We bought it in 2015 as a change-of-lifestyle decision, trading city buzz to country life. It's not 5* polished luxury, but we've traveled a lot and try to do a lot of things differently than the traditional Italian luxury hotels. So your criteria 1) through 5) are met, for 6), well, restaurant and pool, and mountain bikes. Still debating whether or not to add a gym.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
[url]

vienna-resident, wow, hope things are going well !

Originally Posted by Ericka
Looks beautiful, Vienna-Resident!
Well , having met Vienna-Resident & wife many times , even before they were married at various Amans , etc .. we are not surprised that their property is meticulously planned & service to surpass that experienced at Amans . Lupaia is also their well loved home and am sure those who enjoy comfort luxury in the countryside
( including Amanjunkies ) will appreciate staying .
Those at the first mini Amanjunkies FT Do at Puri enjoyed their hospitality at SSYN

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 21, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:47 pm

Couldn't agree more. My wife and I stayed there last summer and can't wait to return. The food and beverage options are great. There's 3 restaurants on-site (formal sit down, a bar/patio restaurant, and a pizzeria). The pool has great views of the Tuscan countryside and the service is attentive but not overbearing. There's an on-site vineyard as well as a few other vineyards within a hours drive (I recommend checking out Badia di Passignano and doing the pairing at their Michelin star restaurant).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.