Special/exclusive tours, excursions, and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DSI
The boat tour organized by Iniala is without equal. The (awesome) butlers join you, whether its constantly pouring you champagne, the (legit) sushi lunch Iniala provided, or just jumping on the jet skis with our son (who was six at the time) while his parents were on the other jetski.
Nice. Unfortunately, it's always hard to get me jazzed about jet skis anywhere because they never are fast enough. We own two 2016 Sea Doo RXT-X 300. It's tough to match 280 hp! If you're ever in Newport during the summer, perhaps you can see for yourself!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KatW
How was that arranged?
I knew someone who was a dancer in the ballet...
Although the ease with which it was organized on late-minute notice, I would imagine a top concierge in London could organize something similar.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:35 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Nice. Unfortunately, it's always hard to get me jazzed about jet skis anywhere because they never are fast enough. We own two 2016 Sea Doo RXT-X 300. It's tough to match 280 hp! If you're ever in Newport during the summer, perhaps you can see for yourself!
We went on a pirate cruise while whale watching today, and that was pretty cool! In Capetown. Highly recommended!

We're south of the mason-dixon line, so us hillbillies prefer UTV's. We've got a lifted Kawasaki Mule (we even have it painted in camo) that can drive up a skyscraper; and likewise, I extend the same invitation to you. But in this case I'll include a glass of DRC along with a can of natty boh.

Last edited by DSI; Jul 22, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any comments on booking? direct? via hotel? via DMC?

Originally Posted by DSI
UTV
i enjoyed these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomcar
wonder if possible to do offroad Ranch to Ranch in US
and some (including linked) are street legal as well

i also enjoyed on-propery snowmobile, 7 miles to a cliff

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 2, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can arrange a private dinner canal cruise on the boat owned by Hotel d'Europe in Amsterdam. You depart and return to the hotel's private dock. Good hotels in Venice should do something similar.

Any decent hotel in wine country should be able to arrange special private tastings.

I was invited to a Beach Boys concert in Shanghai, courtesy of LRM, including transportation and a drink at the venue. This was specially offered to me as a SPG Plat returning guest. It wasn't for the entire hotel or even those with club level rooms.

In Buenos Aires, again as a returning HGP Diamond guest, I was invited to a special wine tasting at the PH that waasn't available to the general guest or publicized.

The GH NYC (at Grand Central) does rooftop tours on some days to see the skyline. I also managed to be there when one of their wine vendors set up a special free tasting (for HGP Diamonds in house) with tapas of wines he hoped to introduce to the hotel's wine list. He brought winemakers to speak briefly too.

At a Parador in rural Spain, some of the hotel staff announced a meeting time to walk together to a special local festival including flamingo dancing. It was a rare opportunity to see genuine flamingo on the street rather than in a special performance hall for tourists.

I've been to some manager's receptions that have seemed special in terms of F&B, celebreties, special rooms with antique furnishings, etc.

Some hotels offer private tours of some of their special historic banquet rooms and suites or their air collections. I'm especially thinking of Raffles Singapore (where the hotel's historian gives these private tours) and the Grand Hotel Stockholm, where you can see the rooms associated with the Nobel Prize.

If you go to the Falls on the Brazil/Argentina border, on each side the hotel in the park (Belmond and Sheraton respectively) allows access early in the morning and late in the day, so that you can see the water at sunrise and sunset with no crowds.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:32 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Is there a comparable helicopter tour over Tokyo? Do we think it be worthwhile?
Hong Kong's topography is quite interesting so it lends itself to it.

The folks who own Peninsula are into aviation though - I think they have a similar experience in Shanghai.

You can do the Hong Kong tour without the Peninsula either, as the aviation part is run/operated separately. They have a land, water and air package that includes Tesla rides and a super yacht through Hong Kong.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Is there a comparable helicopter tour over Tokyo? Do we think it be worthwhile?
Paging Kage
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Working on a private samurai sword lesson/experience in Tokyo with the choreographer from the Kill Bill movies. Something different...and fun.

Other than a private geisha experience, anyone have any suggestions for a special experience in Kyoto, Osaka, or Nara?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:14 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

By far the most interesting of the hard-to-get-into places in Kyoto is the Katsura Imperial Villa. https://sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/englis...e/katsura.html

This absolutely stunning place can be visited by anyone for free, but you must apply to try to get one of the very limited spaces three months in advance. They fill up very quickly. If you succeed, you will go on a small group tour. English commentary is available through a provided headset.

The beauty and serenity of Katsura is truly amazing.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:37 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
By far the most interesting of the hard-to-get-into places in Kyoto is the Katsura Imperial Villa. https://sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/englis...e/katsura.html

This absolutely stunning place can be visited by anyone for free, but you must apply to try to get one of the very limited spaces three months in advance. They fill up very quickly. If you succeed, you will go on a small group tour. English commentary is available through a provided headset.

The beauty and serenity of Katsura is truly amazing.
Thanks for this suggestion! Sounds fab. I'm definitely aiming to get us in.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I knew someone who was a dancer in the ballet...
Although the ease with which it was organized on late-minute notice, I would imagine a top concierge in London could organize something similar.
As a huge ballet and ROH fan this experience would be incredible, I've done a similar backstage tour of the ENB during rehearsals.

I loved Amansara's tours, being able to watch the sunrise from the top of Angkor Wat in total privacy while everyone watched from below was a highlight of the trip.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:41 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kmills84
As a huge ballet and ROH fan this experience would be incredible, I've done a similar backstage tour of the ENB during rehearsals.

I loved Amansara's tours, being able to watch the sunrise from the top of Angkor Wat in total privacy while everyone watched from below was a highlight of the trip.
I did the Angkor Wat sunrise trip as well when we were at Amansara and while I enjoyed the privacy and felt very special being there alone, I actually wished that I had been able to see the sunrise with the croad as I would then be able to actually see and photograph the sun rising behind Angkor wat. That was obviously not possible when being inside. We just saw the sun rising in the jungle and shining at us.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: points traveller
would love to read a TR of anyone that does one of the FS private jet tours
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Musken
I did the Angkor Wat sunrise trip as well when we were at Amansara and while I enjoyed the privacy and felt very special being there alone, I actually wished that I had been able to see the sunrise with the croad as I would then be able to actually see and photograph the sun rising behind Angkor wat. That was obviously not possible when being inside. We just saw the sun rising in the jungle and shining at us.
Yes I agree with you about the sunrise trip - though walking through the temple precincts in the dark was a precious experience and then to emerge and see that so many thousands of people had showed up just to see us . . . !

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 1, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.