Luxury Hotels Closing Part Of Their Facilities During A Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Closing Part Of Their Facilities During A Stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jctrav, when did you experience that at amangiri?

awayIgo, it is easy for hotels to get reviews removed
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
awayIgo, it is easy for hotels to get reviews removed
Surely if it were that easy, they'd be no 1 or 2 star reviews around ?

I left a pretty scathing review of Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge several years ago, which can be found here https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowU...ECK_RATES_CONT

I still gave them 3 stars because the hard product was apparently phenomenal, and they made a few attempts to contact me when they saw the review, but I refused to partake. And six years later the review still stands.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
jctrav, when did you experience that at amangiri?
This was October 2015. I did mention it to the designated manager (the GM was not there) and they made an effort to compensate by reducing the room rate. I'm not normally the complaining type, besides here I've only ever mentioned something at Amanzoe more recently, but it seemed reasonable at the time.
From talking to the staff they did mentioned that they have buy-outs now and again which involve significant cosmetic changes to the property. The change in appearance itself isn't a big deal if you're not there to witness it (though it seems a shame given it's a nice property already) it's more just annoying to be surrounded by workers setting up for an event when you're trying to enjoy the end of your holiday.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is that easy. some are less concerned, some have integrity, etc. tripadvisor is a business that could not care less about reviewers, except in the sense that they want reviewers to be making bookings via tripadvisor website.

thanks jctrav, great details.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Well, here is story of how things can be handled correctly if management cares.

Years ago we were booked (on points) at a W in a resort/beach location. Sometime before we arrived the hotel was bought out. Upon arrival we were met at the airport, taken to a St Regis which was very close by, comped a better room (bigger than the one at the W), and the points for our stay at the W refunded. We were told that if we really wanted we could stay at the W, but would be one of the 1% of guests on property not attending the wedding. Anyways, very professionally handled, very graciously handled, and no hard feelings at all.

So... the moral? If management cares, there are lots of ways to make these things right. To me, this sort of thing tells a lot about the property. Far more than whether a typical stay goes well or not. Therefore, naming the property seems appropriate.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think it does depend a bit on the identity of the actual hotel--since being in a location with many nearby restaurants means the restaurant closure is not necessarily a major factor.

I also think the hotel owes you for the pool situation--overcrowding and not offering the same luxury experience expected when booking was made, especially if the pool is a major element for most stays. The identity of the hotel therefore makes a bit of a difference.

In general, I'd expect a credit of one night on a multi-day stay...perhaps more depending on the lack of availability of comparable nearby restaurants.
I disagree. In Amsterdam, I especially tried staying in the "renowned" boutique hotel that's changed its name just so that I could try their restaurant. My travel agent even reserved my table at the time I booked the room, but I was told at check in that the restaurant was closed that evening for a private event. To make it worse, after I waited to talk with the concierge about getting a last minute reservation elsewhere, the trainee handed me some book (at least in English) with restaurant listings/descriptions and told me that I could read it just as well myself. Of course, I've never gone back (even under the new name).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ridefar
Well, here is story of how things can be handled correctly if management cares.

Years ago we were booked (on points) at a W in a resort/beach location. Sometime before we arrived the hotel was bought out. Upon arrival we were met at the airport, taken to a St Regis which was very close by, comped a better room (bigger than the one at the W), and the points for our stay at the W refunded. We were told that if we really wanted we could stay at the W, but would be one of the 1% of guests on property not attending the wedding. Anyways, very professionally handled, very graciously handled, and no hard feelings at all.

So... the moral? If management cares, there are lots of ways to make these things right. To me, this sort of thing tells a lot about the property. Far more than whether a typical stay goes well or not. Therefore, naming the property seems appropriate.
Was this Bali? It's the obvious beach place with a W and a StR, plus they both seem to be owned by the same outfit.

IMO it would have better to tell you in advance and give you the choice of changing dates or picking a different hotel, ideally to negotiate where they would send you. I don't like surprises when the hotel knows well in advance.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was this Bali? It's the obvious beach place with a W and a StR, plus they both seem to be owned by the same outfit.

IMO it would have better to tell you in advance and give you the choice of changing dates or picking a different hotel, ideally to negotiate where they would send you. I don't like surprises when the hotel knows well in advance.
Agreed. This was a good surprise but imagine being ferried to a Four Points and Sheraton with no clue why.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

Agree.

Originally Posted by Aventine
This was a good surprise but imagine being ferried to a Four Points and Sheraton with no clue why.
Yuck. I agree.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite

Yes, it was Bali. And you actually motivated me to look back through my email. It was long enough ago my memory was apparently rather imperfect. They did notify us in advance. Not a lot in advance, but in advance (1 week). Dates were completely inflexible -- we were using them as a couple of days of jet lag acclimatization before visiting 3 Amans -- so I was happy with the accommodation. As I said, they were proactive, we received a better room, and were accommodated and communication was good. I probably could have pushed for more, but... why? And I have no idea how far in advance they know of the overbooking. Could they have told us 2 months in advance? Perhaps. But given that we were staying for free, I thought they handled it well.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been a Flyertalk tradition as far back as I can remember to name names when reporting on a bad situation. Isn't it only fair to help other flyertalkers avoid getting caught in a similar mess at the same hotel? To me, that's what being a member of this community is all about.

I'm not speaking as mod here, but I do wonder if this thread is really going to be helpful to FT members if it just continues as a collection of gripes about unnamed places.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It's been a Flyertalk tradition as far back as I can remember to name names when reporting on a bad situation. Isn't it only fair to help other flyertalkers avoid getting caught in a similar mess at the same hotel? To me, that's what being a member of this community is all about.

I'm not speaking as mod here, but I do wonder if this thread is really going to be helpful to FT members if it just continues as a collection of gripes about unnamed places.
+1.

I agree wholly.

I'm not sure why some on here do not hesitate to lavish praise on the hotels/resorts that impress but at the same time they are not equally quick to shame the ones that have let them down.

I think we can all agree that feedback is more helpful when it goes both ways.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Nizar
+1.

I agree wholly.

I'm not sure why some on here do not hesitate to lavish praise on the hotels/resorts that impress but at the same time they are not equally quick to shame the ones that have let them down.

I think we can all agree that feedback is more helpful when it goes both ways.
Also itīs no reason that hotel was proactive. This can be a reason for some to give it nevertheless a chance. No (letīs say 99%) hotel is only black or white.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Also itīs no reason that hotel was proactive. This can be a reason for some to give it nevertheless a chance. No (letīs say 99%) hotel is only black or white.
Agreed.
Proactive is discussing the situation AND making amends for the sudden change, event ,etc. The prior is just words
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by bigmerv
I am not going to name the hotel because the GM was very proactive with me over email and genuinely apologetic (and probably quite happy that all I asked for was a guaranteed late checkout). However I am happy to say that it was an upscale 5 star in southern Portugal (not at FS level but well regarded and not cheap).
According to your description I would guess that would be Vila Monte. If that is the case, I would have to consider my options as I have a reservation there for next year. That does not sounds like a great way to spend a vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.