Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Caribbean w/ an 8 month old; pool or direct beach access...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

You all have helped me book an unforgettable honeymoon to all three Aman's in Bali as well as an amazing birthday trip for my wife to Paris staying at the Park Hyatt and La Reserve. So now I come to you for our first trip with our new baby, Carter Allen!

We are looking at late April into early May and have considered Sugar Beach in St Lucia (trip from the airport is too long I think), Park Hyatt in St Kitts (rates have went up and I don't think it's worth it), Cap Juluca in Anguilla (have to take a boat or ferry over). What other places would you suggest?

Requirements are 1 stop flight from Cleveland in business/first with an easy/short transfer to the hotel, a private pool or direct beach access, onsite babysitting services and decent food options since we plan on staying 7-8 nights.

Appreciate any and all help... it's our first time to the Caribbean!

Thanks all,
Josh
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:10 pm

As someone who has a 4 year old and a new 3 month old, I’d recommend that you instead focus on destinations with direct flights which is exponentially easier with small children. St. Kitts and St. Lucia are pretty long flights.

I’m not sure if you have a direct flight to Cancun from Cleveland but if you do I highly recommend Rosewood Mayakoba; we went when our daughter was 2 as it’s perfect with little ones. They really go all out for kids and all rooms have plunge pools so you can use it when the baby is napping. The Escalade car service from the airport is well done with car seat provided. They also have an excellent babysitter service so you can go out to dinner at the hotel or another Mayakoba resort after the baby is asleep for the night. The spa is one of the best we’ve been to in our travels. We plan to go again this summer.
KristenNix and NYC Flyer like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:46 pm
Original Member

Harbour Island, Bahamas.
Many excellent resorts:
Pink Sands
Dunmore
Coral Sands
Ramora

Last edited by KatW; Feb 1, 2019 at 11:54 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:35 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I agree the Rosewood Mayakoba would be the easiest to get to (UA has many flights to Cancun). It’s a fabulous, super child friendly hotel.
Rosewood Mayakoba - Riviera Maya, Mexico

UA can get you to the equally wonderful FS in Costa Rica. But this one might be better saved for when your child is a little older and can appreciate all the animals.
TRIP REPORT: The Peace Lodge & Four Seasons Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica)

Both have plunge pools available in the rooms.
KristenNix likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:46 am

Re Harbour Island

We went to Harbour Island this past summer (staying at a villa near Pink Sands) with our daughter and didn’t find it to be the most kid friendly island. The hotels aren’t really full resorts like we are used to with comprehensive kids programs, etc. The restaurants were geared more towards adults. I would leave that hotel until the child is older.

Agreed on FS Costa Rica— we were there when my daughter was 3 in December 2017. The only bummer there is that the pools aren’t heated and they were cold. Our suite’s plunge pool was plenty warm but the hotel pools were too chilly for my daughter, including the kids club pool. I thought it was strange they didn’t heat at least that pool. I think that’s a perfect hotel for 6 year olds plus bc they’re old enough for the kids club and some of the volcano and jungle day trips which are too long for a smaller child.

Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benfolds5
As someone who has a 4 year old and a new 3 month old, I’d recommend that you instead focus on destinations with direct flights which is exponentially easier with small children. St. Kitts and St. Lucia are pretty long flights.

I’m not sure if you have a direct flight to Cancun from Cleveland but if you do I highly recommend Rosewood Mayakoba; we went when our daughter was 2 as it’s perfect with little ones. They really go all out for kids and all rooms have plunge pools so you can use it when the baby is napping. The Escalade car service from the airport is well done with car seat provided. They also have an excellent babysitter service so you can go out to dinner at the hotel or another Mayakoba resort after the baby is asleep for the night. The spa is one of the best we’ve been to in our travels. We plan to go again this summer.
Thanks we had considered the Mayakoba complex but really wanted more of an island experience. You are right though, that 3.5 hour direct flight on Saturdays would be amazing!

What about the Banyan Tree? The pools and villas are much larger?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:33 am

Fairmont Mayakoba also has beach villas. Very kid friendly and many families and best locaiton on the beach.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Ok on second pass, we went ahead and booked the nonstop flights to Cancun in F via United. Just too simple of a flight to pass up. So now we just need to decide on the hotel and room!

Erik, we will take a look at the Fairmont.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I am not sure if they changed the pool heating strategy since 2017 at the FS Costa Rica, but they are heated to a minimum of 78 degrees now (https://www.fourseasons.com/costaric...ls/bahia_pool/). We were there in November of 2018 and they felt great to us... but the air temperature was also in the 90's and the sun was blazing hot, so that might have been why we didn't notice them as being cold while we were there.

I love Ben & Ericka's Rosewood Mayakoba recommendation.

Another option to consider for a future family trip is the Four Seasons Punta Mita. Although it is not in the Caribbean, it checks all of your other boxes, including flights from Cleveland with only 1 stop. Enjoy your trip to the Mayakoba area!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

budget or accommodation range? caribbean mexico properties do not go as high end as top properties in caribbean and pacific coast, but are fairly consistently well regarded here

amanera - might check flights
playagrandebeachclub.com

FS costa rica - small pools except top 3 estate (like rosewood mayakoba)
FS punta mita - 2BR ocean villa luna and 2BR beachfront arena / coral

cancun airport >

banyan tree
(45m2 pool) 1BR spa
(51m2 pool) 2BR beachside
(60m2 pool) 3BR beachfront

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 2, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:42 pm

When we stayed at the Rosewood we ate at the Thai restaurant at Banyan Tree (very good) and also toured a villa there—the Rosewood IMHO is much nicer and more upscale. Better maintained and judging by the reviews, better service. The Rosewood butler system actually works well which is not the case at most places we’ve been.. There is a new adult only beachfront pool and lounge section at Rosewood that looks nice that one of you can use when the baby is napping.

For room types at Rosewood, the ocean view pool suite worked really well with our 2 year old because it had sliding doors between the living room and entrance area, and between the entrance and bedroom (the floor plans are all online). We put the hotel provided crib in the living room, closed the sliding doors that separated it from the entrance door such that we could get room service at night without disturbing her. Very helpful because the hotel babysitter could come at night after she was asleep and closed off in living room. Really good setup. There is a nice rooftop plunge pool (large) with great water view. With a small baby and likely a 3 nap a day schedule I’d recommend you get a room on the beach side as opposed to lagoon side so you can take turns going to beach etc. quickly while baby is napping. That suite or the beachside lagoon view suite would be my category recommendation.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by KatW
Harbour Island, Bahamas.
Many excellent resorts:
Pink Sands
Dunmore
Coral Sands
Ramora

I What a great destination for babies!!! Excellent choice.
KatW likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:30 pm
Original Member

That short (for going to Cancun) nonstop is alluring, I agree. Cabo is not our favorite Mexican locale (that would be Zihuatanejo or Costalegre south of Puerto Vallata) but we are there often because it's a mere two-hour and 40-minute nonstop from SFO.

The Maroma/Playa del Carmen area, 40 minutes south of Cancun, has wonderful Caribbean beaches. With babe in tow, I recommend Belmond Maroma, most authentic of the best resorts in the area. The beach there is close to the suites, powder soft sand, calm, little surf, warm waters and turquoise beautiful. Beach toys and floats provided. It is manicured and cleaned daily. The suites are lovely, some with large plunge pools.

Food is fine enough if you're not gourmands (we are not). Beach service is super fab and they are very kind to kids and accommodating of same. Beautiful at night when hundreds of lanterns are lit throughout the property.

The other resort I recommend is in Playa del Carmen, directly on the beach -- Mahekal Beach Resort. It's not luxury, more like three-star but it's great for families with babes and kids. The venue could not be more accommodating -- kids are positively revered. The beach is excellent and just steps away. There are a variety of palapa accommodations including three large stand-alone beachfront rooms with small private pool, spacious porch with hammocks, etc. Two meals daily included. Breakfast is wonderful, lunch quite good, dinner decent. But it's Playa del Carmen so many lovely places to dine. Cabs helaciously inexpensive. Very convivial place. Lovely staff and service.
https://www.mahekalbeachresort.com/.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 3, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:42 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Agree with Kat that the Belmond Maroma is another nice option. Most beautiful beaches, authentic Mexican, very quiet. It’s not as outwardly child friendly (no kids club or dedicated amenities) but the service is so good they will take wonderful care of your baby.

NYC Flyer likes this.

Last edited by Ericka; Feb 4, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Too late to consider St. Barts? I have only raised one, but centering this trip on minimizing travel time with a baby seems short sighted to me for a weeklong stay.

I enjoyed Playa del Carmen immensely, but few places I'd think about returning to in the Caribbean aside from St. Barts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.