Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Six Senses - Koh Yao Noi vs Koh Samui (Thailand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

I'm looking at a beach destination for vacation - has anyone been to both of these properties? Do both have direct beach access from hotel property on foot? Which is better? Both seem to be equally easy to get to? Thanks in advance for info!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:23 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I'm looking at a beach destination for vacation - has anyone been to both of these properties? Do both have direct beach access from hotel property on foot? Which is better? Both seem to be equally easy to get to? Thanks in advance for info!
How important is the quality of beach? Six Senses Yao Noi has a beach, but I wouldn't really spend much time on it.

The appeal at Six Senses Yao Noi is the view and its proximity to Phang Nga Bay with the possibility of daily excursions there.

I did a review of it some time last year.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:30 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

The beach being close is important. I thought SS Yao Noi had a beach, per this video:

Albeit the beach seems to be a little walk away.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The beach being close is important. I thought SS Yao Noi had a beach, per this video:
Six Senses Yao Noi in Phuket, Thailand: AMAZING HOTEL! Impressions & review - YouTube

Albeit the beach seems to be a little walk away.
It has a beach. It's just not a very good one at all. If you've been to Trisara's (or read the comments about Trisara's beach), it's worse than that.

It's really not a 'beach' destination - it is a great place from which to explore Phang Nga Bay though (and the many nice beaches random islands have, as well as the limestone karsts and lagoons).

My video FYI (doesn't say anything about the beach itself, just an idea for the rooms etc):

If you are looking at beach in Phuket/Koh Samui, how about Amanpuri and Four Seasons Koh Samui? Both have very nice beaches, and certainly far better than Six Senses Yao Noi.

If you are looking at somewhere fairly secluded like Six Senses Yao Noi, try further up north in Phuket in Natai - not much in the way of resorts, but plenty of beautiful private villas with stunning beaches.

Six Senses Yao Noi is fairly seamless to get to (30 minute ride from the airport and a 30 minute speedboat from there - may have to wait at the Marina lounge for the scheduled boat trip). But you're then stuck on Koh Yao Noi. Is that what you're looking for?

This will also be heavily dictated by the season you wish to go in - Amanpuri is closed every June, and ~May to September, the currents mean you won't enjoy the best of the beach (the water).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Both Aman and FS are much more expensive than the Six Senses. Also, I'd stay at the Surin Phuket before the Aman.

Why haven't you commented on SS Samui?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aman from $500 before free night offers
same entry for SS YN (and sri panwa)
(rayavadee is less) surin is much less

re trisara, have their rates gone up ?

SS samui - suggest taking a look at satellite map
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ion-noise.html

not sure when rosewood phuket opens
site doesnt look the best on satellite

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 28, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
aman from $500 before free night offers
same entry for SS YN (and sri panwa)
(rayavadee is less) surin is much less

re trisara, have their rates gone up ?

SS samui - suggest taking a look at satellite map

not sure when rosewood phuket opens
site doesnt look the best on satellite
Cheapest Aman I see is $650, and only up during peak season. Where are you seeing $500? And free night offers aren't all year round either. Moreover, I only plan to stay for two nights so the free night offer (unless it's free second night) does not mean much to me.

Your Surin recommendation is good. Doesn't that share the same "private beach" as Amanpuri at 1/4 the price?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
Previous thread on SS Samui:

Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:34 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

How does Trisara compare to Amanpuri? The two seem to be on a comparable price level.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Cheapest Aman I see is $650, and only up during peak season. Where are you seeing $500? And free night offers aren't all year round either. Moreover, I only plan to stay for two nights so the free night offer (unless it's free second night) does not mean much to me.

Your Surin recommendation is good. Doesn't that share the same "private beach" as Amanpuri at 1/4 the price?
How does Trisara compare to Amanpuri? The two seem to be on a comparable price level.
Even the best The Surin rooms / suites are not anywhere near Amanpuri or Trisara ' s lowest . But share the same stretch of beach . Puri ' s end is somehow safer ..
( I only stayed briefly once when Surin was sort of still affiliated with Puri & the Puri HM moved & was the GM then - was asking when we were staying ; was relieved to transfer " home to Puri " )

If you are not into having the best beach on Phuket , than settle for Trisara which has a lousy beach .
But if you are staying in lowest category than possibly choose Trisara ( we may have been shown the best of the lowest though where personally I would not choose ) . If comparing styles , Puri is traditional " modern " while Trisara is " contemporary "
Was just at both in January & February

Have only visited SSYN during the Amanjunkie FTer mini DO few years ago when vienna resident was staying .
While we sort of liked it , much was too rustic but the food was ok then & had the complimentary cookies bar / ice cream parlor going for it .
But we have yet to return - choosing a suite with cool enough AC & bathroom with AC is / was a set back .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 28, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

So Amanpuri has the best beach and is closest to the beach of the bunch here? I know the service there is going to be the best of the ones mentioned here.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:09 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
So Amanpuri has the best beach and is closest to the beach of the bunch here? I know the service there is going to be the best of the ones mentioned here.
Puri ' s beach is the best & if you cannot handle the steps , there are thankfully the " buggies " . The team will drive you anywhere on site , rescue you from their pontoon if you do not wish to swim back ..

FYI , The Surin site does not allow for even tracks , so you will get lots of exercise just getting from restaurant to room to beach - steps & more steps .. Not for the unfit or even marginally disabled ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 28, 2017 at 6:19 pm Reason: iPad typos
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Does anyone know the logistics of getting from Amanpuri to places like Patong for an afternoon? Are metered taxis available? Are house cars outrageously priced?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:07 pm

Does anyone know the logistics of getting from Amanpuri to places like Patong for an afternoon? Are metered taxis available? Are house cars outrageously priced?
Amanpuri's car is fairly reasonably priced. I don't recommend taxis in Phuket - they are a pain due to how they operate, and costs really add up if you start to use them for a few hours. Fine for getting from airport > hotel.

I've got a local driver I use who is absolutely fantastic - young, cheerful, funny and knowledgeable guy. Always on time. Has a good fleet of cars and keeps them in great condition.

Re: SS Samui - didn't comment on it because its' been years since I've been (I think I went in around 2012/3) and they have since renovated extensively. It's not known to be one of the better Six Senses though.

Re: Amanpuri and Surin are on the same stretch of beach, but Amanpuri also has its own beach that's off to the side. There's no doubting Amanpuri's rooms/pavilions are extremely pricey though - and if that's a key concern (having a pool and/or ocean view), then you may want to consider elsewhere (Trisara - which has some of the best entry level rooms ever). I'd be looking to check if you can get a good upgrade to at least an ocean view pavilion if you do stay at Amanpuri - shouldn't be a problem during low season.

In terms of beach, there's no comparison between Amanpuri and Trisara.

Amanpuri room video:

Last edited by chinmoylad; Mar 28, 2017 at 8:37 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:09 pm

Wouldn't say it's 'closest' to the beach - Six Senses, Trisara, Amanpuri, Surin etc all have their own beach and are all equally close to their beaches.

Essentially, rank the following in terms of priorities:
- Quality of beach (Amanpuri/Surin)
- Price (Surin/Trisara/Six Senses)
- Sea view and/or private pool (Trisara/Six Senses)

And then take it from there

Last edited by chinmoylad; Mar 28, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.