Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best FS Properties

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simpletastes
Example: I struck up a friendly conversation with a spa attendant at FS Park Lane last weekend. He saw me later at the 10th floor lounge, said hello and we chatted for another 15 minutes. Great service culture from the bottom to top of the house.
Park Lane seems to do this extremely well. The service is amazingly personal.
Upon checking in, the front desk officer asked if I needed help with plans for the evening. I said I was already going to watch Kiss Me Kate. I retire to my room after the show and see my chocolate on a Kiss Me Kate themed plate. I smirked and thought to myself, "now that's just showing off." They're listening!
Attached Images  

Last edited by TheBrownPrince; Mar 17, 2017 at 2:51 am
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
Park Lane seems to do this extremely well. The service is amazingly personal.
Upon checking in, the front desk officer asked if I needed help with plans for the evening. I said I was already going to watch Kiss Me Kate. I retire to my room after the show and see my chocolate on a Kiss Me Kate themed plate. I smirked and thought to myself, "now that's just showing off." They're listening!
Good excample for good service. Always had a good experience at PL.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:03 am

I'll never understand the criticism of FS servive as too "formulaic" or their decors as "fuddy-duddy." That is certainly far from my experience with Four Seasosns. The best properties exude character, and are quintessentially of the place, whether the are historical hotels or contemporary landmarks. There are a few boring FS properties, but to be fair those are mostly in lower yielding North American markets where the competition isn't that great either. There are also outlying properties like Sydney that are unimpressive, but most other hotel groups have their weaker properties as well.

As a very regular guest at some FS properties, I can say that service is often outstanding, and anything but "formulaic". I often enjoy friendly chats with staff members who are simply a pleasure to interact with at all times. Some have made my stays by remembering a small detail, such as a favorite wine or something else that I may have only mentioned once before. Others have gone out of their way to make sure I am upgraded to the exact rooms or suites I prefer - I am talking about specific room numbers and often multi category upgrades - as soon as they see my booking pop up in their system a month out (or so they have told me, and I believe it because they always get it right).

If that's a formula of some kind I certainly love it. But, I don't think the magic is part of a formula. It's just what happens when great people are really good at what they do.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:39 am

There are a few boring FS properties, but to be fair those are mostly in lower yielding North American markets where the competition isn't that great either.
Possibly slightly off topic, but why are North American markets lower yielding? And why it seems luxury and style (when it comes to airlines and hotels) can mostly be found in Western Europe and Asia (and Africa)?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:53 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We've had a number of good FS stays over the years, but the ones that have really blown us away have been the most recent stays....when we've had our young son with us.

These are some exceptional family hotels.
- FS George V
- FS Peninsula Papagayo
- FS Sultanhamet
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:10 am

My favorites are:

Paris George V
Hong Kong
Geneva Hotel des Bergues
Maldives Kuda Huraa
Maldives Landaa Giraavaru
Tokyo Marunouchi
Koh Samui
London Park Lane
Boston
New York
Beverly Hills
Milan

Formerly Bangkok (now Anantara Siam)

I am looking forward to the Nam Hai and Cap Ferrat.

I miss Terre Blanche, still sad it left Four Seasons.

Originally Posted by simpletastes
Possibly slightly off topic, but why are North American markets lower yielding? And why it seems luxury and style (when it comes to airlines and hotels) can mostly be found in Western Europe and Asia (and Africa)?
For example Atlanta, Westlake Village, San Francisco, Baltimore, Seattle, St. Louis. I am not deriding the properties or the cities, but the fact is that while these hotels may be best or among the best in town, these markets are less developed and cannot achieve the rates seen in New York, Beverly Hills, Boston, Washington D.C. etc..

The point is that hotels need to be viewed in context of their locations.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 17, 2017 at 6:20 am
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:59 am

FS Maui - for us it was our first luxury hotel. The serenity pool is hard to beat.

FS Boston - Great service. Two examples:

One time we arrived and the wife was sick. Waiter at the Bristol where we had lunch sent up a pot of tea to the room. He saw us the next day and asked how she was feeling.

Second example: We were there in the winter and it was freezing out. We had parked our car in the garage at the public garden. As we were checking out the gentleman behind the counter asked if we needed a car service. We said no we were parked across the way. He went to get the person who drives the house car. He wasn't to be found (perhaps quick break). So he got the keys himself and drove us over to our car so we didn't have to walk in the blistering cold.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
None of the US properties are really that great in my mind, although some may be the best in their respective market.
For anyone having to endure a trip to Disney ​​​​World, the FS Orlando is the best (only) truly luxury option, and the service is top notch. It's located on Disney property and shuttles to all the parks are included. Spacious rooms (rooms with 2 Queens for families available), beautiful suites with large balconies overlooking the Disney fireworks, and a great water park for the kiddos.... while mom and dad chill at the adult pool. The Kids For All Seasons Program is very good, too. After exhausting yourself in lines at the park in the morning, enjoying the afternoon in this sane, luxury property is the way to keep mom, dad and the kids relaxed and happy. "Character" breakfasts a few mornings a week are offered (reservations a must), but alternate buffet breakfast is offered in the lobby bar to escape the little princesses.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:55 am

Our favourite Four Seasons is Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat. We've stayed twice; once in the Rooftop Suite in the main building and the second time in one of their pool suites in The Residence. Both excellent but the pool suite really has that wow factor - especially in August when the pool is the perfect place to relax.

Club Dauphin gets too busy during high season which is why we chose a pool suite where it was much more relaxing. One day we hired a cabana and it was a terrible experience; no service whatsoever, flies everywhere - not a luxury experience at all. Total contrast to the cabanas at Hotel du Cap which were perfection!

Staying at FS Orlando next week - I wonder what it will be like!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
Great thread.
My favorite FS properties:

• FS Koh Samui: One of my favorite tropical resorts in the world. Almost Aman-like service and gorgeous forest setting
  • FS Sayan: I know this property is not very popular on this board, but I prefer it to both Amandari and Chedi Club. Too bad for recent slip in food quality, though
  • FS Landaa Giraavaru (and to a lesser extent FS Kuda Huraa)
  • FS Florence
I couldn't agree more with you about Sayan...some of my fondest memories come from that hotel!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Four seasons Georges V in Paris is an outstanding hotel. I've stayed there a few times and once when it was my 10th wedding anniversary they upgraded us to their top suite which was phenomenal. They also arranged a motorbike tour of Paris by night for us using two of their dispatch riders as there was no organised trip such as this in Paris at the time. Great memories.

FS Mauritius at Anahita is also excellent and the staff take great care of the guests. The only downside is little or no atmosphere at night in the bar...bit disappointing.

FS Toronto was ok...felt just like a big corporate hotel to me.

Staying at FS Vail in a few weeks...have heard good things and the kids are looking forward to the hot chocolate concierge at the heated outdoor pool, while us adults are in it for the ski concierge and spa treatments.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Our Spanish-style casita at Troon North in Scottsdale was not typical FS decor at all.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

simpletastes, owners are huge factor, as well as local costs.

the best properties usually have good owners, and invest a lot.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Our Spanish-style casita at Troon North in Scottsdale was not typical FS decor at all.
What is a typical FS décor, I wonder? Are people referring to a sedate color scheme, like the rooms at FS New York and in some other more business oriented properties? I think that is more of a stereotype, because in fact globally Four Seasons hotels have a wide range of décors that often are very well done and are of the place.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

clearly most of "Best FS Properties" will be less 'average'
"Best FS" may include visiting property, rather than location

when selecting 'best' in location, averages are not a factor

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 17, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.