Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amazing resort with great location, but service was lacking (Cap Ferrat, France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amazing resort with great location, but service was lacking (Cap Ferrat, France)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:04 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

GRAND HOTEL DU CAP FERRAT

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

71 Bd du General de Gaulle SAINT-JEAN CAP FERRAT FR 0623 St Jean Cap Ferrat, FR 06230

Amazing Resort With A Great Location, But Service Was Lacking (23 Photos)

51.jpg

We spent four nights and five days at the Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat a Four Seasons hotel (that's quite a mouthful) at the beginning of November. We had amazing weather with temperatures around 22 degrees Celsius, or 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and lots of sun. This property is beautiful, and the location is fantastic with amazing views, and we were able to catch both the sunrise and the sunset.

We found it quite easy to drive to all the major places close by, and the longest car ride we had was to Cannes which took about an hour. Both Nice and Monaco are about 30 minutes away, and Eze is a short detour on the way to or from Monaco. Eze offers some amazing views and is great if you enjoy taking photographs.

The only letdown we experienced was the service, which is a major disappointment when staying in a hotel with the history and reputation this hotel has. They failed in a number of different ways, and I don't feel they even tried to make up for it. If you're looking for great rooms with a fantastic pool in the French Riviera, this might be a good option, but if you're expecting world class service maybe you should consider other options.

Check In

1_9.jpg

Check in was handled in the big open lobby, and we were served ice tea and given wet towels as we waited for Charlotte to bring our papers over. I like this approach as it's much more relaxed and a very pleasant after having travelled for hours.

As we booked through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner, we had some benefits which were clearly explained. We arrived a little early, and was told that the room would be ready in about 20 minutes, which was still before official check-in time, so we decided to take a walk down to pool while we waited.

Room

After a short walk down to the pool and back up, we were shown to our room, number 5, by Charlotte who had checked us in. The room was on the main floor, just off the lobby behind a door. We found this location to be very good, as it afforded easy access to most everything.

31.jpg
Bedroom with a large bed

We had booked a Superior Pinewood Room, and were given a very generous upgrade to a Four Seasons Sea-View Suite with a large terrace. The suite consisted of one bedroom, one living room, a walk-in closet and a decently sized bathroom. The extra bed for our daughter was placed in the corner of the living room, which was a good place as it was out of the way and not in a too bright spot.

37.jpg
Living room with extra bed

The bathroom was located off the walk-in closet and had it's own direct access to the terrace. It was a very beautiful bathroom with the usual setup of a walk-in marble shower, a bathtub, a toilet behind glass doors and double vanities.

22.jpg
Bathroom

23.jpg
View from bathroom

If there would be one negative about the bathroom, it would be that it didn't have air conditioning. We did what we could by having the awning down and keeping the door open, but I imagine it must get very warm in there during the summer months. I doubt it would be approved by bhrubin.

30.jpg
Bedroom with view

35.jpg
Living room as seen from the bedroom

The highlight of the room was the terrace! As I mentioned earlier it was a very good size. I have to mention the fact, however, that the steps leading down to the restaurant's terrace and the gardens goes right by it, and if you have a need for absolute privacy, that would be an issue. As we stayed during the low season, it didn't really bother us at all.

45.jpg
The terrace

Dining

One of the highlights of our stay was the food. We had breakfast every morning, twice on our terrace, and twice in the restaurant. The breakfast in the restaurant consisted of a buffet with salmon, cold cuts, cheeses, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, lots of fruit and berries, and a selection of cereals and breads. We were also offered to order any sort of eggs, as well as pancakes, crepes, and waffles. The buffet was very good, and always well stocked.

11.jpg
La Véranda, the only dining option during our stay

The two days we had breakfast on our terrace, we ordered various items including eggs Benedict, waffles, crepes with chocolate sauce, berries, and freshly cut fruit. This was served beautifully on our terrance in the morning sun, and was a great way to start our day. The first room service breakfast, however, was very late. More about that in the service section.

107.jpg
A beautiful and very tasy breakfast

We also had lunch, which was excellent. I had the Burrata with grilled vegetables, and the Spaghetti with Cuttlefish Ink, both of which were prepared to perfection. The pasta was silky smooth and had lots of flavor. My wife had a steak which was juicy and tender, even if it was a little over medium which was the temperature she requested. Our daughter had a burger which she couldn't stop raving about, as well as mango juice which was the same they serve at Dinner by Heston and is "the best juice ever."

Pool

The pool really is one of the highlights of this hotel. It's perfectly situated and very well maintained. Fruit and cookies are complimentary, and drinks are available to order. During the summer they also serve food here, and I imagine it's a popular spot considering the view.

To get down to the pool, you have two options. You can take the steps through a small park, or you can take the glass funicular. What ever option you chose, it's incredibly beautiful and something I'd recommend even if you have no interest in actually being by the pool.

56.jpg
Go left, or go right. You can't go wrong!

60.jpg
I don't feel like walking today

The pool itself is a heated salt water pool, which meant that even if it's not that warm outside it is still pleasant. The only not so pleasant part is getting out if it. I'm not sure how much salt they have in it, but it's quite a lot. I took a quick dip in the ocean, and the water there was noticably less salt.

62.jpg
A good looking pool on a great day

Service

So, now we're getting to the negative part of my review, and this is going to be quite long so I apologize in advance. The short summary is that quite a few things happened that shouldn't have, and when they did they were not handled in a satisfactory way. I'll divide this section into a number of different sub-sections, their own short stories if you will.

Before we get to all the negative things about the service I do want to mention that we never encountered any bad attitude or were treated with anything but respect. The staff was courteous and helpful, and the base level of the service was good. However, no one ever approached us to follow up on any of the issues we had, which I found very odd and unusual.

The Small Things

There were a number of small issues that on their own probably wouldn't have affected our stay, but together with the other issues become a factor. For example, turndown was often late even if we gave them plenty of heads up when we wanted it. This is not unique to this hotel, and it's not a big issue either, but I wanted to mention it.

Something that started out as a very small issue, but became annoying by check-out was the fact that we had asked if we could have a credit on our food & beverage instead of the spa, as part of our benefits for booking through FSPP. This was granted, but at check-in they had no knowledge of this. I was told they would look into this, but they never got back to me. Instead I had to ask again later, and was given confirmation that indeed, they would grant our request. When checking out, I noticed that no credit had been applied so I asked that they correct it. At this point I was once again told that the credit was for the spa. Luckily, the person who had checked us in was close by and corrected the person who check us out, and the credit was applied. As an isolated incident, I wouldn't have given this much consideration, but I wonder why this wasn't noted on our profile and handled better.

The Pool of Blood

After we had lunch on our first day at the hotel, we decided that it was still warm enough to take a swim in the pool. It sure is a beautiful place, and everyone working there are doing their best to make you comfortable. After we had been in the water a few minutes, our daughter complains about having hurt her foot on something. As the awesome father I am, I tell her it's probably nothing, but after a short while, she has to get out of the pool to get a better look, which is when we realize she cut her foot. She is bleeding quite bad, and there's a trail of blood where ever she goes.

75.jpg
Yay, the bleeding stopped!

It turns out that one of the lamps about 2 feet below the water has come loose, which in turn has exposed some very sharp edges and screws. We let the life guard know, who then tried to patch our daughter up the best he could, but we obviously had to return to our room for the night.

72.jpg
The lamp in question, now floating, four days later

No compensation was offered in regards to this, and no one, except the lifeguard who helped our daughter, ever asked how she was or if we needed anything. We had to ask for new band aids from the concierge each day to keep her foot patched up. Luckily, our daughter is a strong person, so it affected the rest of our stay very little, but we had to consider our activities as it did hurt when she walked. I must say, being told by my daughter to be careful around the lamps in the pool so that I don't hurt myself, is not the lasting memory I was hoping for from this trip.

Water In All the Wrong Places

As we returned to our room with our badly limping daughter in tow, we take a shower and go out to the living room for a while before we are going back to the bathroom to finish getting ready. As I get there, I notice water dripping from one of the lamps in the ceiling.

46_cut.jpg
The light that wouldn't stop dripping

I call the front desk to let them know, and after a short while the front desk manager knocks on our door and inspects the bathroom. He realizes something must have gone wrong in the room above ours, and sends for maintainance. He gives me his card and tells me he is the person I should talk to if I have any further questions in regards to this. Maintainance works on our bathroom for two hours, during which time we obviously can't use the bathroom, and with our daughter's foot bleeding pretty bad still, we can't really go anywhere else either.

48.jpg
Looks pretty different now, doesn't it?

As this was on Halloween, we were planning on just having a nice quite evening in our room and to watch A Nightmare Before Christmas, but we realized this was not going to happen. As we had been up since 4 in the morning, we were tired, and this together with the cut foot really didn't help things.

After about an hour had passed, I decided to go to the front desk and ask the manager what was going on, and if they had any updates. The maintainance guy came and went a few times, and didn't really speak any English, so I couldn't ask him. I ask for the manager and is told he has left for the day. Now, maybe my expectations are all wrong, but this surprised me. I expected him to at least follow up before he left, and let me know who I should talk to instead. I saw him the next day at breakfast, but he didn't acknowledge us at all and if I hadn't seeked him out myself I wouldn't had heard anything more about this at all.

In the end, all I know is that there was an issue in the bathroom above ours. The extent of their apologies was a note and a few pieces of candy at turndown. Very underwhelming.

Help, I'm Falling, and I Can't Get Up

During our second night, we realized that the bed our daughter had been given was not in full working order, as the foot end of it collapsed suddenly when she was sleeping in it. This was a bit of a scare, but luckily, she didn't fall out of the bed and we could all go back to sleep after a while. I asked them to look at the bed, which was replaced.

The Hungry Games

The same morning after the bed collapse, we decided to get up early and catch the sunrise and go for a walk as we weren't really sleeping all that well. I had ordered a room service breakfast the night before, which was requested at 8:30, so we felt this would give us plenty of time as the sunrise was a few minutes after 7.

The walk got a bit longer than we had intended, but we managed to be back in our rooms at 8:20, hungry and ready for breakfast. The breakfast, however, arrived 45 minutes late, after two calls to room service to check what was going on. The first call was placed around 8:50, at which point we were told it would be at our room in less than five minutes. 25 minutes later, it finally arrived, with items missing. This was partially sorted out, but we never got everything that we ordered. The compensation for this was that we wouldn't have to pay for breakfast, which was already included as one of the benefits of booking through a preferred partner.

Overall

I will leave you with a few more photos, and to reiterate what I said in the opening paragraphs: This is a wonderful hotel, and the location is something I'm very happy to have exprienced. I just wish the service was on par with the hotel itself, then this trip would have been truly amazing. As it stands now, I recommend this hotel, but if something goes wrong when staying here I really hope you have better luck than we had.

1.jpg
The main entrance

4.jpg
Lobby and concierge desk

10.jpg
Flower arrangement

57.jpg
The pool gardens

66.jpg
Terrace by the pool

Amazing Resort With A Great Location, But Service Was Lacking

Would you like to write a review on the GRAND HOTEL DU CAP FERRAT?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Great report! My problem with the hotel is the price-tag, it seems so rediculous overpriced. Rooms are fine, but nothing totally outstanding. service from your experience is not what you could expect.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Great report! My problem with the hotel is the price-tag, it seems so rediculous overpriced. Rooms are fine, but nothing totally outstanding. service from your experience is not what you could expect.
Yes, I agree with you. The rate when we stayed was not as bad, just a little more than €300 - parking was €49.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:06 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Incredible! You go to such a place and are confronted with unpleasant "little" things met with nonchalance. But EUR 300 is a steal and they probably lack attention towards "off season" guests. The parking fee is still outrageous.

If it is this what we get at cheap (because off season) "luxury" hotels we should look for alternatives, perhaps smaller, personally run hotels with less "service" but still providing luxury. I am going now this way especially after my lovely experience in Germany: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ry-hotels.html

BTW: You must be a really lovely very tolerant person ^. I am less so getting older .

Last edited by behuman; Nov 9, 2016 at 5:28 am
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by hannisen
Yes, I agree with you. The rate when we stayed was not as bad, just a little more than €300 - parking was €49.
300 € for the Terrace Suite? Really? Which time was it?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
300 € for the Terrace Suite? Really? Which time was it?
No, no. €300 for the room we booked, I believe the rate for the suite we received was around €2200 (€1650 a night on a 4th night free promotion).
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

No, no. €300 for the room we booked, I believe the rate for the suite we received was around €2200 (€1650 a night on a 4th night free promotion).
Forgot about the upgrade by the shock
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:01 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Love that flower arrangement photo!
Great report. Thanks for all the detail.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:07 am
Community Director Emerita

That was a very balanced report. I am perplexed by the nonchalance of the hotel staff about some significant service errors, most particularly the severe cut your daughter received due to lack of maintenance in the pool. I'm glad that she soldiered on and all is well.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lamp in question, now floating, four days later
did you discuss it with anyone?

or ask about Duty/Night Manager? (can anyone clarify FS policy?)
or changing (and or getting a new/2nd) room?

unfortunate to hear, especially for newly reflagged FS. so many reflags lately, including FS. presumably FS has had to adjust some of their staffing policies to account for this. and even if they have not, IIRC FR law limits options of reflags.

curious how GM is regarded by FS regulars here
press.fourseasons.com/capferrat/hotel-team/francois-regis-simon.html
previously >
Hotel Manager at FS shenzhen
F&B at FS paris & HK

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 9, 2016 at 10:46 am
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka
Love that flower arrangement photo!
Great report. Thanks for all the detail.
Thanks, that's one of my favorites as well!

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
did you discuss it with anyone?

or ask about Duty/Night Manager? (can anyone clarify FS policy?)
or changing (and or getting a new/2nd) room?
Yes, of course. All my issues were discussed with the front desk manager, who also came to our room when we had the leak in the ceiling. Regarding the lamp, I told the person who checked us in the same evening, and I also talked to one of the lifeguards about it the following day.

They never offered a new room, or even a second room while our bathroom was being maintained. And the fact that the front desk manager just left for the day without getting back to us to let us know who was the manager on duty was all very odd.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks for such a comprehensive report. The photographs of the hotel are stunning. The service issues you describe are appalling and inexcusable in a world class luxury resort, irrespective of the season.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many here have mentioned success (elsewhere including at FS) dealing with higher level management as well as requesting/requiring things.

interesting procedures when pool light is ignored. i admit to knowing nothing on the subject of pool lights, perhaps someone can comment on whether there is no issue with regards to the connecting electrical wire etc and the water?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
many here have mentioned success (elsewhere including at FS) dealing with higher level management as well as requesting/requiring things.

interesting procedures when pool light is ignored. i admit to knowing nothing on the subject of pool lights, perhaps someone can comment on whether there is no issue with regards to the connecting electrical wire etc and the water?
What bothers me is that I felt that the issues we experienced were so obvious that I foolishly assumed that compensation would be offered during our stay, or during checkout, without having to involving upper management.

The GM has assured me that the lamp was repaired imnediately, but that it didn't hold up. They will have to do proper repairs once the pool is emptied.
I don't believe the wires are an issue, except for the fact that someone might get stuck in them.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with reflags, even well regarded companies like FS may run into issues if they have limited options regarding staffing after a reflag in certain places, apparently including France.

there has also been discussion of changes (corporate level) at FS and other companies.

especially unfortunate to see lack of comment re injury. setting aside service and caring about guests, perhaps certain places emphasize response partly from a liability standpoint, like in US for example.

perhaps others can comment on how often another/2nd room is offered in similar cases. i would think occupancy would have been very low considering about to close for season. for example there is discussion of being offered temporary room before checking into assigned room.

edit - although re nearest rooms, Palace Sea View Room and Palace Sea View Suite on mezzanine/entresol may have been occupied, and the Pinewood rooms/suites on ground floor may have been in different location.

i was surprised by a past report here for FS paris where security had to open guest's room's door each time, and no recovery until after check out.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 9, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.