Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Suite - Sitting at the Work Desk Too Much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Have anyone of you ever booked (or were upgraded) to a luxury suite at a luxury hotel only to find yourself sitting at the work desk (perhaps catching up on work or corresponding with family/friends etc.) the majority of the time (when not out and about)?

If so, did this make you decide to book just the highest regular room category on your next stay instead?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
No, why should I? Also as far as I know "normal" rooms also have work desks. Some also freestanding. Even if I have a separate Office I don´t spend my day there.

To be honest this thread is a little bit wired.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by offerendum
No, why should I? Also as far as I know "normal" rooms also have work desks. Some also freestanding. Even if I have a separate Office I don´t spend my day there.

To be honest this thread is a little bit wired.
I think the poster is saying.. why pay for all that fanciness of a separate living room with a fancy sofa etc when you are just sitting at a desk you can get any any old regular cheap room. They are also asking did that make you down grade your room category the next stay instead of wasting that money.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I think the poster is saying.. why pay for all that fanciness of a separate living room with a fancy sofa etc when you are just sitting at a desk you can get any any old regular cheap room. They are also asking did that make you down grade your room category the next stay instead of wasting that money.
OK! That´s a regular question. At the moment I book a hotel and my girlfriend asks all the time why I need a suite while we won´t be much in the room and the rooms are big enough. Valid point, no question. But no, so far it didn´t affect me
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by offerendum
OK! That´s a regular question. At the moment I book a hotel and my girlfriend asks all the time why I need a suite while we won´t be much in the room and the rooms are big enough. Valid point, no question. But no, so far it didn´t affect me
Same here. I just want the suite.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Same here. I just want the suite.
Absolutely. Only sometimes the suite is so much more expensive and offers so little more that even I book a room.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Unfortunately sometimes I book the suite so I can sit at a desk and work and not bother my wife....

Stinks I know...

FDW
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:05 am

I must confess to spending quite a lot of time at my desk in my room at the Four Seasons Hong Kong, with my back to the view. Ergonomically the office set-up was perfect and I spent much of my time editing and uploading to Flickr my photos of the Solomon Islands and PNG, from whence I came. My excuse is that my broadband speed at home in the UK is less than 1MB so the FSHK was, er, rather quicker.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Unfortunately sometimes I book the suite so I can sit at a desk and work and not bother my wife....

Stinks I know...

FDW
This is often my approach. We don't get suites to spread out or entertain company or whatnot.

I'm an earlier riser than my wife, and on *most* trips, I like to get some work done in those morning hours so that I don't fall too far behind.

A true suite with a separated work area makes that much easier without waking her up.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

whether work or not, Pausanias notes different situations during different trips.
some work while traveling in order to travel a lot more, especially/primarily in US.
besides not bothering sleepers, also children, and things like decent dining tables.

all i can say for myself is that typical style suites do not really impress me anymore.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 17, 2016 at 8:31 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
all i can say for myself is most city hotel suites do not really impress me anymore
This is so true. I guess it happens when you are spoiled with nice hotels and nice suites
In the past recent years the only impressive city suite was the grand deluxe suite at Peninsula Hong-Kong. That's it.
Don't know if Aman Venice and Norman Tel Aviv fall into the 'city suite' category but they were still great.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
It is the case in most business trip....but it even happens in leisure travel sometimes

I have a specific case that might fit the situation: I often go to an hotel in Milan where they upgrade me constantly to an executive spa suite. This room has a relatively huge steam room inside: never used even if I really enjoy doing it when I have time
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:28 am

whether work or not, Pausanias notes different situations during different trips.
some work while traveling in order to travel a lot more, especially/primarily in US.
besides not bothering sleepers, also children, and things like decent dining tables.

all i can say for myself is most city hotel suites do not really impress me anymore.
Then you have not experienced some of the world's best city hotel suites. I agree that not all are inspired, by any means, but there are loads that are.

I spend quite a bit of time at my desk and never feel the need to downgrade to a room. Suites offer so much more in terms of residential living, comfort and personal service.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"most" / majority numerically/statistically, i thought was pretty clear
i changed to "typical style suites" (box hotels including FS, many FS resorts, etc)
some small properties especially different, HK is great (IC Presidential unique in world)

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
This is so true. I guess it happens when you are spoiled with nice hotels and nice suites
In the past recent years the only impressive city suite was the grand deluxe suite at Peninsula Hong-Kong. That's it.
Don't know if Aman Venice and Norman Tel Aviv fall into the 'city suite' category but they were still great.
+ FS florence 'presidential' before recent years, unique property like peninsula
aman venice remains historic private residence, and is small as is norman
peninsula hong kong also a grande dame, long before modern box hotels

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 17, 2016 at 10:23 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:40 am

"most" numerically/statistically, i thought was pretty clear

i changed to "typical style suites" (box hotels including FS, many FS resorts, etc)

top small properties very different, HK is great city (IC Presidential unique in world)

and FS florence before recent years, a unique property like peninsula
aman venice remains historical private residence, and small as is norman
Sorry - missed 'most'. Even so, within the high-end groups, the top suites tend to be pretty special, especially in Asia and Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.