Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Zika Free Luxury Resort in North America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I had planned our August getaway from New York to Amanera almost a year ago, and was really looking forward. My wife doesn't like to travel far, and no more than one flight, and after trying Amanyara and a few other Caribbean properties (Jumby Bay, Parrot Cay, Ritz Dorado Beach), we were hoping this new one will be just right to combine a nice beach, Aman Service, and modern property.

Now, after many months of confirmed Zika Virus out there with no cure known as of yet, we are going to have to abort plans.

Can anyone recommend any other really nice place that's on Aman standards, that's sort of Zika free (to the best of what statistics say, such as Bermuda)? And preferably with a private pool, and of course walkable to the beach.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by moebod
Hi All,

I had planned our August getaway from New York to Amanera almost a year ago, and was really looking forward. My wife doesn't like to travel far, and no more than one flight, and after trying Amanyara and a few other Caribbean properties (Jumby Bay, Parrot Cay, Ritz Dorado Beach), we were hoping this new one will be just right to combine a nice beach, Aman Service, and modern property.

Now, after many months of confirmed Zika Virus out there with no cure known as of yet, we are going to have to abort plans.

Can anyone recommend any other really nice place that's on Aman standards, that's sort of Zika free (to the best of what statistics say, such as Bermuda)? And preferably with a private pool, and of course walkable to the beach.
My sister is an OB and doesn't recommend anywhere in the Carribean or Mexico.... Very conservative but that was before there were reports in Florida... Now it's probably inevitable that it'll spread up the coast... Does it definitely have to be beach? Amangiri? Dunton Hot Springs? Post ranch in?

Fdw
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Post Ranch Inn?
There's a big fire in the northern part of Big Sur that has apparently caused people to cancel their trips here. Post Ranch Inn would usually be full this time of year, but deals may be made if you don't mind staying close to a fire, and having the local state parks closed.

Although, Post Ranch Inn isn't really walking distance to a beach, so is likely to not meet your requirements anyway.

This area is also about to be overrun by car people (and me)! for the Pebble Beach concours and other events in about 10 days time.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Go north. If you don't insist in a tropical beach, look toward the Adirondacks, the Berkshires, Kennebunkport, some of the NH small towns with inns like Bethel, etc. Or you could go to places like Greenbrier, the Inn at Little Washington (assuming a short stay), etc.

There are also coastal resorts in SC/NC such as the Outer Banks, the Chesapeake, etc.

At this point, I would assume that Florida, the Gulf Coast, and all of the Caribbean is infected.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Does it definitely have to be beach? Amangiri? Dunton Hot Springs? Post ranch in?

Fdw
Amangiri too much travel for us, we are only looking for a few days. I feel like that wont be relaxing enough to make it worth traveling all the way there with the drive from Vegas - for only 3 days. Other two dont seem to call to me. Not modern at all, and doesnt look anything great.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:30 pm

Zika is not widespread in Mexico. See if you can find an updated map of which parts of the country have had cases - the last one I saw showed no cases in Cancun, Punta Mita, Cabo, etc. We are considering San Miguel de Allende (Rosewood), since it is at a higher elevation and is unlikely to have any zika, albeit no beach.

Here are some stats on Mexco by region from last week - looks like the resort areas are by and large not affected: http://www.bajainsider.com/article/zika-virus-mexico

Last edited by katesy; Aug 7, 2016 at 9:40 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Go north. If you don't insist in a tropical beach, look toward the Adirondacks, the Berkshires, Kennebunkport, some of the NH small towns with inns like Bethel, etc. Or you could go to places like Greenbrier, the Inn at Little Washington (assuming a short stay), etc.

There are also coastal resorts in SC/NC such as the Outer Banks, the Chesapeake, etc.

At this point, I would assume that Florida, the Gulf Coast, and all of the Caribbean is infected.
Do you have any specific Resorts or properties you have in mind? Just a really nice (modern if possible) pampering Hotel that we can relax and enjoy the time off? If its NC or NH, I may even be able to drive. I just assumed no up to date nice properties around. Hate old style bungalows, even if very clean.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by moebod
Do you have any specific Resorts or properties you have in mind? Just a really nice (modern if possible) pampering Hotel that we can relax and enjoy the time off? If its NC or NH, I may even be able to drive. I just assumed no up to date nice properties around. Hate old style bungalows, even if very clean.
Check out the Ocean House in Rhode Island. Gorgeous modern hotel on a beautiful beach (by modern I mean new construction, design is traditional). No private pools, but the suites are really tremendous.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start with the Relais et Chateaux list that includes the Inn at Little Washington and some northeastern resorts. However, don't expect tropical beach ambience.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:52 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Twin Farms in VT has some modern cottages. Superb food, service and lounging around experience! All inclusive with great wines.

BTW, it sounds like FL is getting zika under control. They carpet bombed that neighborhood in Miami and there are dead mosquitos littering the streets.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I think the Pacific coast of Mexico will be fine. I would look at FS Punta Mita or Las Ventanas or Esperanza in Cabo. There is also a tiny resort with a great beach near Punta Mita called Imanta. It is very, very beautiful with only 10 or 12 rooms.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:43 am

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't the virus only bad if you're a pregnant woman?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't the virus only bad if you're a pregnant woman?
I was just about to post this ... moebod, if your wife is not pregnant, nor are you planning on it in the next half year or so, based on the CDC site you are essentially fine in traveling wherever you would like.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/about/questions.html
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I was just about to post this ... moebod, if your wife is not pregnant, nor are you planning on it in the next half year or so, based on the CDC site you are essentially fine in traveling wherever you would like.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/about/questions.html
Correct, the wife is
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:27 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

TAlked to my sister today. (note none of this should be construed as medical advice; please consider talking to your own doctor for more information).

That all being said this is what she's counseling her patients. She is, also, New York based.

"No to Florida, no to the Carribean and no to Mexico."

She references this map. I know that Mexico is large and I don't believe that there have been any West Coast active transmissions... but she references this in terms of MExico as well. so above 6500 ft and you should be fine....

No to Bermuda as well, though I don't get that because there are no active cases there... South Carolina is okayish but she delivers the caveat that the CDC is constantly updating their map and that there is a significant time lag.....

That all being said so if it was me and I was looking for a bit of a babymoon of 3-4 days and I was east coast bound, looking for the beach (which I am) I would consider the following:
Inn by the Sea (Lm225 just did a TR)
The Sanctuary at Kiawah

You're unfortunately not going to find anything truly spectacular on the East coast; definitely nothing that measures anywhere close to Aman levels... Private pools are also likely to be a miss as well.. (I can't off the top of my head think of any east cost properties with private pools). One thing to consider would a small house rental with a private pool on Kiawah... Though most likely you'll lose out siginifcantly on the service aspect (most of the Premier homes are quite large and probably overkill for two people..

Congrats on your upcoming arrival... they definitely change everything....

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.